• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sweaty Hands

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mking77

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I bought a Conn V1 a few months back, and so far I am really liking it. Unfortunetely, it is in lacquer, and I am having all sorts of trouble keeping the lacquer protected from my hands. I bought a large leather hand guard from rayburns that does a great job of covering up most spots around the valve cluster, but my thumb is still in contact with the 1st slide ring. This means that every time I play the horn for more than a few hours I get a large green ring all around my thumb, and the ring is actually starting to slowing corrode. Does anybody have any advice on how to protect the ring from my sweat?
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem - the 2 lacquer horns I have used in the past have flaked...

Even my silver horns have never had silver very long on the first valve thumb hook or the 3rd vavle slide ring. On my old getzen thumb trigger, I have a plastic sleeve on it. I tried to keep them from getting worse like you but finally gave up. I can tell you that of the 2 silver horns I had the one that had a valve guard on it only needed to have the bottom caps replaced. The one I did not have one one is pitted really bad and the ring on the valve casing are totally gone in some places.

the only thing I have yet to burn through is gold plate...

-marc
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put clear fingernail polish over the worn areas to protect the metal.
allstarbugler
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a pair of white gloves like they use in marching band. Cut off the thumb and stick that over your thumb. Now you will have an effective barrier between the thumb and the metal on the horn!!
Schilkeguy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Home Depot (or something like it) and get some clear, flexible plastic tubing (maybe about 1/4 inch diameter). Cut a length to match ther thumb and finger hooks/rings, and then make a slit all the way down the tube with a razor blade. Then you can slip it onto the ring/hook. Ive never actualy tried this, but it sounds like it could work. Just an idea.
Mking77

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far everybody. I have a home depot right near me, so I'm going to go there tomorrow and hopefully find some tubing or sealant which will separate my thumb and the ring. Thanks again!
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the acid in your sweaty palms that does the damage, although I will admit to a accident with the wrong sort of siver polish !

If you do have sweaty hands its a good idea to wipe down with a yellow duster after you play, if you are going to put plastic or indeed leather guards on wipe the horn down first otherwise you will end up with the acid trapped between the guard and the metal.

Drunkiq, think I've seen some pictures of your beautiful gold horn, please don't ever touch it, look at it and drool, get yourself something beat up to play, it's way too nice to take a chance that you might burn through the gold

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: