• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rudy Mück Citation leadpipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mmmatt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Rudy Mück Citation leadpipe Reply with quote

Hey guys. I have what I believe to be an early 70s, German made Rudy Mück Citation. Serial #672162

I bought the horn on the cheap knowing it had a wrinkle in the leadpipe. The factory laquer wasn't too bad but for cosmetic reasons I wanted to strip and brush it. I personally like how it came out and I like the way the hrn sounds mostly. My local tech fixed the leadpipe, which was ultimately more of a twist, as well as possible, but it isn't perfect and the mouthpiece receiver is also off giving me over a 1/4" of gap.

Since I don't have much into it I thought I would try new leadpipe. I have cheap calipers that I measured with and thought a preassembled bach pipe from mouthpiece express would work, but the LT Bach was a little small so I am down to having something installed to test. Before I go all Willie nillie I thought I would solicit some help from the mod gurus and other Citation owners here.

The citation has a step bore. To my caliper the 2nd valve slide measures .072- .074 The original Rudy Muck horns were based on Bach designs. Whether or not any of that carried over in to the 70s German made horns, I don't know.

The horn has a nice dark sound and feels very dynamic to me allowing nice soft passages or big volumus sound. Upper range is fairly easy but it slots poorly up there. A lot of that may be the gap. It is very free blowing which I mostly like, but as a comeback player I don't have the juice I had back in the day and a little more resistance wouldn't be terrible. Of course I'm not gigging so sound and playability are my goals.

I'm looking at the Bach pipes because the are readily available and inexpensive. The 7 seems like a no brainier for the dark aspect which I want to maintain. The 44 and 43 were STD issue i belive on the Bach MLVs which may or may not be of similar design. The 6 may be able to maintain the color profile while adding a bit of resistance.

Comments?
1969 Reynolds Emperor Flugelhorn
1956 Olds Recording
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really interesting--I think I saw another Rudy Muck for sale in the DC area on facebook (it was a conductor) but the leadpipe looked like it had a series of dents in its and the price seemed high. I also only found the early Bach connection and couldn't figure out how the later trumpets played.
Mmmatt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
That's really interesting--I think I saw another Rudy Muck for sale in the DC area on facebook (it was a conductor) but the leadpipe looked like it had a series of dents in its and the price seemed high. I also only found the early Bach connection and couldn't figure out how the later trumpets played.

The history on these is pretty uncertain. I only say 1970s and German made because there is a paper ad on eBay now that is from 72 and shows a very similar horn and says made in West Germany. The previous ads I have seen show blessing stencils for some models but imply that the citation, conductor, and academy were made in the USA. That and the reviews I have seen are what made me want one. I kinda like the black sheeps. As long as I don't end up trying a million leadpipes I should stay under $400 all in and that is my goal for this horn. Would have been nice if the Bach slide receiver fit. Great horn for the $$$ and hopefully even better with the leadpipe and gap alingment. I bought mine for $200 and put $30 into fixing the leadpipe twist, so $230 so far.
1956 Olds Recording
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some if the Rudy Mück horns were made by Böhm & Meinl in West Germany. I think that was after Carl Fischer Music of New York City purchased the rights to the name.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Mmmatt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
Some if the Rudy Mück horns were made by Böhm & Meinl in West Germany. I think that was after Carl Fischer Music of New York City purchased the rights to the name.

Yeah I read that somewhere as weel, and the print ad confirmed it for me. The german thing anyways. Seems to be a well made instrument, whomever made it.
1956 Olds Recording
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send it to Charlie Melk and he will draw you a new one of the correct proportion. No need to fool around with it.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: