• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which Trumpet for Big-Band Use ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The classic is not a 'Meha', which is a lighter weight more open trumpet. However, any of the Kanstul Bessons are fantastic trumpets for the money and I'm sure you'll be pleased. On saying that, although you'll probably find the trumpet more than adequate for all round playing if you were specifically after a lead trumpet then I suspect that ultimately the 1s/2 may have been a better choice even though it's more expensive.

Anyway enjoy your new horn.

Regards

Trevor
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-19 14:20, trumpet_is_cool wrote:
Where can i see if it has a Naoom Leadpipe ?
Dennis

Hi Dennis!

If you have a Najoom leadpipe, it says so on the mouthpiece receiver.

Martin
Levermann
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, welcher Händler war das ?
Strange !
trumpet_is_cool

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...Than it have no Najoom Leadpipe....On the Bill is printed :French Besson Meha Classic .462... However...
I love this Trumpet, nice bright Sound,good Response, fast Valves and in the High Register
or loud Playing incredible Sizzle (a little less as the Callichio).

From all the Horns that i played in the Shop and before this was the best (for me)
That`s more important as a Stemp
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Denis,

The FB Classics I have seen have had Classic in stylised writing on the bell. They were known as a 260 model in Europe (the Stamm was 160). The Kanstul Mehas that I have seen have a replica of the engraving on the original Meha on the bell but with less detail. It actually says MEHA on the bell..and if I remeber rightly some of the french from the original as well. Hope this helps.

Regards

Trevor

Trevor
trumpet_is_cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Than it`s definetily the Classic 260 with .462 Bore, where was this Trumpet`s build ? Also by Kanstul ?
Have you played both Horns - Classic vs. Meha ? Are there much differences ?
Just courious....

The sound doesn`t seem classical , too bright, too much sizzle...
A Bach has for me a classical (dark) sound, or a B&S Challenger.
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

The Classic was made by Kanstul and is a very fine trumpet. In fact both the Classic and the Marvin Stamm are both very good horns and incredible value.

I've played both but not side by side. The Classic was a very good all-rounder and if I remember rightly the Meha was a more lightweight, open horn. In fact I think the one I played was 470 bore although I believe Kanstul made some 460 bore Mehas more recently (I may be wrong).

Rest assured you've bought a very nice trumept that will do anything you ask it. Now get practicing!! Hope this helps.

Regards

Trevor
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-13 11:21, PatchesTheCat wrote:
Naturally try all these horns, I don't know whether you are a resistance player or like to blow through the trumpet. Each one will offer something different. From your post I am assuming that you will be doing strictly jazz big band so that will tailor my answer to the following. It would also help to know what part you tend to play, my answer for a soloist would be different than recommending for a lead trumpet. You can use pretty much any trumpet in any playing situation with adjustments from your body and mouthpiece. However you did say big band so my answers will be towards lighter horns to assist in the "sizzle" aspect.

Schilke: http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke
Try all models for blow preference. All are pretty much light weight and will smack you in the face with sizzle.
M bores - B6, B7, B4, S42 (heavier than B series) Try these, they are great for big band. The B4,6,7 all have step bores. I use a B6 with beryllium bell.
ML step- B1, B2
ML - B5, S32
L- X3, B3, S22

Regards.
ps. I do highly recommend trying the Schilke models

The Schilke I have will "smack you in the face with sizzle" as well as anyone around you or down the hall or across the street from you. I play on a used B3L. It is a fine lead trumpet playing horn and if you play lead most of the time, I recommend it. The B3 is a "free blowing" horn and I like that about it.

I tried my Schilke out last night for the first time in jazz orchestra and others commented on its sound. The upper register is free, open, and produces a huge, full sound. So, if you are looking for a cut through lead horn, try Schilke. It seems like it was intended for that purpose. I continue to play my Bach 37 lightweight for lead, too. (Of course, I still remain to be a Bach fan). For a nice jazz solo horn, I've tried the sterling silver Conn Vintage One and liked it.

Try as many horns as you can. If you feel at home with one over others, like I felt, and cannot seem to put it down and want to play it more than others, that is a good sign.

Janell Carter
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within your price range and from your list.....in order of what I think you might be looking for....

The following horns have, for lack of a better term, a "normal" ML blow. Most people will adjust to these very easily....

(1) Kanstul Wayne Bergeron. I just had one out on trial. This fits your description to a 'T"! Fat and a little darker in the middle...screams with sizzle up high. Cost $1495 w/o case.

(2) Kanstul "Chicago MLP". Another great all-around horn. Cost, around $1475. Includes a Protec triple cordura bag.

If you prefer a little more resistance....

(1) Kanstul "Mariachi". This is considered a small-bore horn...but it doesn't play like one! I've owned this model for the past three years and find it to be VERY veratile and covers ALL styles of music very well. Cost $1295 w/case.

(2) Schilke S42. Solid playing horn. Here, at first, you may notice a little more resistance being that it's a true medium bore. But once you get used to it it will do EVERYTHING you're looking for...then some! Cost $1900 w/o case.

You can obtain the Kanstul horns through Tulsa Band Instruments. They have a 7-day trial period and usually keep these models in stock. Ask for Ceth. I also understand that Pick Music has a good supply, with good prices, on Kanstul
products.

WW&BW has a Schilke S42 in stock that I have personally played and it is a VERY good horn. One of the better Schilkes I've played. They have a 45 day trial policy.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

BW
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey:

Some really good recos here.

But why..oh why... do people still continue to recommend "their" favorite horn for everything? Give it rest man!
Charis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calicchio 1s2 or Z1s3 ... fine big band horns.
Paul.Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen Eterna 900S, Stomvi Classica, Stomvi Mambo, Schilke B1, Yamaha 6335HSMV

laser high notes = lightweight bell and shallow mouthpiece
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a Schilke B5 or B1 or X3. After those I would consider a Burbank Benge with 3 bell.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul Chicago 1001, or 1070
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what sound you have in your head, what sound the rest of the section has. You sometimes need to accomodate the section you play with. If your sound is more fundamental (more lows, not so many highs) a good Lawler, Schilke, Kanstul could help you. If you have a bright sound, walk in with a Callichio to play in a section of Bachs you may stick out. Pros can make adjustments and fit in, but some less experienced players may have problems. The Kanstul Chicago has a good balance, listen carefully to your sound on whatever you choose. It can be much better to pick a horn that has the sound you want and learn to play it. Make sure the horn has a good scale, you don't want to shove pitches around because the trumpet's out of tune with itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: