• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Horror Story

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjlilley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Trumpet Horror Story Reply with quote

True story. My son 11 just started learning to platy the trumpet. Motivated by him, I decided to dust off my vintage Getzen Eterna Severinsen model. One of the welds had broken free and it was missing the brace between the lead pipe and valves. The slides were stuck and the lead pipe needed replaced.

After much looking I took it to a one-man shop who has been repairing instruments for 40 years. A mere 2 days later he called and told me the repairs were complete.. Surprised at the speed, I went to pick up my instrument.

He opened my case and I noticed the brace on the main slide was missing. "It really doesn't serve any purpose." he said.. Then he ran over to a different instrument with a blowtorch and quickly removed it's brace and slapped it on my instrument! Solder and soot everywhere.. He was completely nuts..

Final Damage:
1. Not my main slide
2. Lead pipe from a random used instrument (not even a close match)
3. Brace replaced with a small brass rod (maybe a piece of coat hanger)
4. Other main brace now replaced with a bolt.. That's right a piece of a bolt.
5. 3rd valve slide replaced or the thumb screw changed.
6. EVERY solder joint re-soldered with globs of solder everywhere.

Frankenhorn.. I couldn't stand to even have it in my house and traded it in at a local shop for whatever they were willing to give me...

I never realized how much sentimental value an instrument could have.
I kept the finger buttons. At least I have a small piece of those memories.
ohnecael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awful. The speed shows hes competent but at the sacrifice of him not even keeping the same tuning slide? how could he have broken it so bad to the point that he didnt even put it back! you really should complain to others about this because craftsmenship like this is unacceptable.
mjlilley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohnecael wrote:
That's awful. The speed shows hes competent but at the sacrifice of him not even keeping the same tuning slide? how could he have broken it so bad to the point that he didnt even put it back! you really should complain to others about this because craftsmenship like this is unacceptable.

Yeah, I did post a google review on his business.. I wasn't as harsh as I could have been. Hopefully no one will bring anything more than a student instrument to him if they see it.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

This is why I always am careful - warey of letting people work on my horns. They have to not screw anything up on one of my beaters before I’ll consider letting them near by favs.

I so sorry to hear about your experience. If you let us know roughly we’re you are located, maybe someone on here as a shop recommendation.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear about that.

About the only warning is when the repairer is very short on listening time and does not query you enough about what is expected to happen to the horn.

Perhaps the best idea is to ask them to show you detailed photos of their completed projects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: