• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jo Ral mutes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone use Jo-Ral mutes? The straight mutes seem to have different bottoms - Aluminum, Copper, and Brass. What are the differences? What about the bHarmon mute (Bubble Mute?). Is it any better than other harmon mutes?

Steve
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the brass bottom straight, just because that was the one store stocked, and have been happy with it. One nice thing about it is that I don't seem to have to move the slide to correct the pitch as much when I use it, compared to other straights. I tried the bubble mute for a harmon. The copper one had a beautiful sound, but even with the rubberized cork, it was so doggone heavy that I got frustrated trying to keep it in the horn, especially when I had to look down at one of those cardboard big band music stands, so I gave up and went back to Harmon brand harmons. I just lucked into a copper one which I happily traded the (anvil) copper Jo Ral bubble for.

Mike
Boy meets Horn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about Jo-Ral straight mutes, but I do know about the bubble mutes. In my opinion, the bubble mute is probably the best mute for your money in a big band playing situation. Notice I said big band situations. I find the bubble mute to have the right sound and projection for the big band parts that require harmon mute. Unfortunately, I find that the bubble mute lacks the flexibility in sound to capture all of the different timbres that you would want in a soloistic setting.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other night at Orchestra Hall I noticed the entire Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra trumpet section, Wynton included, was using Jo-Ral aluminum bubble mutes.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Schilkeguy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the jo ral bubble, straight, and cup mute. The bubble is great and intune (I have the almuminum one, so it's not that heavy). the Straight mute (copper bottom) projects better than any straight mute I've ever heard, has a better sound, and plays intune (I lend it to other people who have a muted part while I don't, even though they have their own mute.... it's that good). The cup mute is ok, I guess. I don't use it enough or have enough to compare it to to make an accurate assement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: