• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin COMMITTEE trumpet quality

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knatterbock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
my Martin Committee trumpet made in Elkart comes with a serial number 217xxx It is in refinished condition, like new and silver plated. Above all: it plays great! Now my question: Is this a model of minor value due to a serial number greater than 200xxx? I've seen several TPO posts dealing with that topic, but I wasn't able to figure out a summary!

Thank you all ... Peter from Germany
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

217xxx would be when Wurlitzer was making the Committee. I have never had one to compare to the sub 200xxx serial numbers, but I have heard that quality was not as good, and the bells are lighter. Don't know how true that is. As for value, it is worth what someone will pay for it. If selling it on Ebay, the qualities of your pictures and description probably will have more to do with the selling price than the serial number. Also, if it is a large bore it will have good value. I haven't seen Committees above 200xxx selling for significantly less until you get to the 7xxxxx range.

If it is your main trumpet that you play, the true value is in how well it plays for you.

Steve
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Steve. If you are looking for an investment then sub 200,000 are probably better and a large bore.
However, there are a lot better ways to get a return on your money. Also, fixing them up sometimes seems to devalue them in the eyes of some investors. Look at Chris Botti's 1949 Committee. It doesn't look pretty but it sure plays pretty. Of course, I think Chris and his NY Bach 3C mouthpiece have something to do with that.

If it is for you to play then all it matters is how you sound on it.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: