• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 37 vs 43?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the basic differences in a 37 vs 43?

Which one is preferred for Jazz bands?
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my own personal opinion. If I were playing directly into a mic, I would probably say it does not matter all that much, but the 43 has a real nice compact sound. For me, the 37 has a broader sound and is a little easier for me to hear in situations where the band does not play into individual mics. There is nothing wrong with either horn for all around playing, but I would pick the 37, just as my personal preference for how it sounds playing against other instruments and sections when the band is not playing into individual microphones.

Mike
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest...I have a 37 and im in a jazz ensemble and it plays really well....its a great all around horn...you cant go wrong with a 37. I think it may even play alittle better in jazz than regular concert band...but none the less 37's are great all arounders

Matt
Bach Strad 37 ML
Bach 3CW w/24 throat mpc

"Right now I am lost, but I am on a path and will eventually find myself, and once the path ends I will have found myself; the best in the world"
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the flare on the 43 bell gives it a brighter sound then the 37. The 37 seems to be more focused and an all-around bell. I have just never liked the 43 bell.

Mike
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a bunch of each not too long ago and tried to distinguish differences between them. Aside from the 43 sounding brighter, it allowed me significantly more core to my sound, and just seemed much more solid in that department. Trying to achieve a mellow sound on it was a bit more difficult than on the 37 though. The 37 is much better of an all around in my opinion, and would blend fine in just about any section (this is the opinion you'll get from a lot of other people as well). Of course, I'd use a different bell for different purposes. My preferences are...

Lead - 43 (the * model, however)
Section Jazz - 37
Jazz Combo - 72
Orchestra - 37
Legit Solo - 72
Marching - 43
Brass Choir - 72
Brass Quintet - 37
Outdoor Work (whatever it may be) - 43

You get the picture. For those that are either 72 or 43 though, the 37 would be my second choice, as it works about as well anyway. Just my opinions. I'd go with the 37. Test both out in the situation and see which one you like better.
CRJAZZMAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a #37 I got new in 1978. It has always been a good horn for me but as of late started to show its age. The valves seemed to be getting sloppy and she was not much to look at anymore.
Enter my brothers horn. A model #43* also from the mid 70's he never played it again after high school so it was essentially new. After a visit to the local music shop for a cleaning I made it my regular horn.
As a lead player, at first I loved the zing it put in my sound. However, now that I have played on it for about a year I actually switched back to my #37 because my tone was actually too bright on the other horn.
Bottom line:
I agree with the other posts here that the 43 has a more focused sound and it is brighter. It all depends on your music and your situation as to which one will be right for you.
I for one am horn shopping and am seriously considering the Conn Vintage One.
But need to get to Chicago area to play test some Yamahas and Schilke's first!
King Legend .462 in silver
Bobby Shew Lead and Flugel mpcs
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question about the difference between the 43 and 37 bell, lies in the bell flare rate. The flare of the 43 will focus your sound more than the 37 where the 37 would fill up a room more than a 43. If you could picture a hose with a spray nozzle that you could adjust. The 25 bell would be like a straight stream of water coming out of the hose. The 43 would be next in line with a little spread, and thenthe 37 with even more spread ... followed by the 72 and then the almighty dark 65 bell.

As far as a horn for a jazz band ... it really depends what type of playing you will be doing in it? Is it a jazz combo where you will be the only player? If so, I would recommend the 72 bell ... or 37 bell out of the two choices you listed above. For a true lead position, the 43 may be the better choice as you would cut through the section with it. It also has a brighter (live) sound than the 37 and will be heard easier.

Honestly though, the 37 is the good alternative for having an all-around horn and with the right mouthpiece and technique, you can make the 37 cut through the jazz band as a lead player.

Hope this helps some,
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: