• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip Clamp & Lip Clamp Squeak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel I have the correct formation of the lip clamp. I have read the book a number of times on this topic as well as a number of the posts on this site.
I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate some advice on.

1) I have been practicing the lip clamp at every opportunity in my first week on BE. Is it possible to overdo the isometric exercise or is "more, better" as long as your chops feel ok? I have however been sticking to the 20 - 30 minute limit on the actual "on horn" lesson plan work.

2) In my case, I can usually get a squeak if I lighten up slightly on the pressure of the "clamp". This was suggested in a post I read but I am not sure if I interpreted it correctly. If I keep full clamp pressure on I have more trouble getting the squeak out. Should the pressure of a lip clamp when you are trying to hiss or squeak be the same as when doing the isometric exercise?

Any advice would be welcome.

thanks

Pat

[ This Message was edited by: pmj on 2004-02-25 09:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: pmj on 2004-02-25 10:02 ]
TXBD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Jeff says in BE to do the Lip Clamp once a day. I believe he did this because he knew we (trumpet players) would do it twice, three times, four times as much. Some will do it every waking moment. Moderation is best. These muscles will fatigue and need time to recover. The foreword to H.L. Clarke's Technical Studies says something to the effect that it's like medicine, where a teaspoon will cure, but the whole bottle will kill.

Billy Marquis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: