• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to make Yamaha Silent Brass sound like other mutes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: How to make Yamaha Silent Brass sound like other mutes? Reply with quote

Basically the title. If anyone knows how to make the Yamaha silent brass mute (newest generation) sound like different mutes (e.g. Harmon wah-wah, straight, cup) when playing through headphones please reply!

For context, the Yamaha silent brass has this feature called Brass Resonance Modeling, which allows you to plug a pair of headphones into an external unit and have it play back what your trumpet would sound like without a mute. I just wanted to have the sound be able to be changed to something like a Harmon mute would produce, for example.

Thanks!
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can’t. It’s designed just for you to practice quietly. If you want to sound like a different mute, use one.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
You can’t. It’s designed just for you to practice quietly. If you want to sound like a different mute, use one.

I suspect that using different mutes won’t work since the pickup in the silent brass is in the mute. Thus swapping it out for other mutes means it won’t pick up sound to send through the headphones. (Which was the OP’s question )
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make it sound like a Harmon without stem, use Reaper with a multifrequency equalizer plugin, and pull down all the low frequencies. The remaining high end will sound just right.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's so unlikely a question. The electronics can add reverb, so can it add other things, like a Harmon mute sound. But I believe the answer's the same - no. But that's not because of the function of the mute, it's because the electronics do not provide that availability.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
rbel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking maybe if I could use the silent brass as a midi input (audio to midi) I could control the effects. However, I'm not good with this stuff at all and I would have no idea how to do that.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a MIDI device. As others have said, bringing in the analog signal and using your own EQ is likely as close as you'll get.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
It is not a MIDI device. As others have said, bringing in the analog signal and using your own EQ is likely as close as you'll get.

There are audio to midi converters. Some are post process, however there are real-time converters too.

Beat Bars appears to enable what the OP is contemplating. I cannot tell if the midi sounds are played immediately or not.

If so, then with the right samples it might be possible to play into a mic which inputs to beat bars which outputs midi commands to a midi instrument to which headphones are attached.

However, the delay might be annoying and the articulations might not be accurate too.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used MIDI in some time but I do not think MIDI will provide "his" sound but rather plays whatever is in its library. Not the same as recording and playing back his own sound. So I don't think it will modify the OP's sound to emulate his sound with a different mute. It may provide the muted sound that he wants, but not "his" sound, at least IIRC. I have not kept up so may well be wrong, and/or misunderstanding the OP's desire.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
I have not used MIDI in some time but I do not think MIDI will provide "his" sound but rather plays whatever is in its library. Not the same as recording and playing back his own sound. So I don't think it will modify the OP's sound to emulate his sound with a different mute. It may provide the muted sound that he wants, but not "his" sound, at least IIRC. I have not kept up so may well be wrong, and/or misunderstanding the OP's desire.

Your understanding aligns with mine. But I didn’t read it being “his” sound that he wanted, just that he wanted “something like a Harmon would produce”.

The audio to midi route would probably produce the pitch, length and volume. Maybe the attack. Replacing not modifying the OP’s sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: