• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tips for becoming an orchestral musician

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a comment FWIW.

I used to look down on middle and elementary school music teachers as not being good enough musicians to "make it". I gave them credit as teachers but not, necessarily, as musicians.

Since then, I have known some middle school/Jr. high teachers who, while having a steady job but not tied down to marching band pressures, were able to pursue a pretty active and satisfactory side career as performing musicians.

I don't say this to sidetrack you from your goal, but it's something to consider.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis." Chet Baker

Yamaha YTR-8310 Z, "Bobby Shew", Trumpet
Conn 80A, "New Wonder", Cornet
Hans Hoyer G10 French Horn
A. Frish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All!
I just wanted to say thank you so much! When I made this post, I was not expecting this much of a response. I have greatly appreciated all of the advice that has come in so far. That just shows what an amazing community the trumpet creates. Thank you!

Aaron
MBMinSC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not in higher ed (or lower ed - I work on computers for a living), but I remember listening to one of the episodes of the Brass Junkies recently where Andrew Hitz talked about the hiring process they went through at Shenandoah Conservatory for a new trumpet teacher. They had something like 100 applicants, many with DMA's. He said the deciding factor was looking at the applicant's total body of work - performance, teaching, and entrepreneurship.

They hired Mary Bowden, who has established herself as a fantastic soloist, chamber musician, and educator. You can listen to her interview here:

http://www.pedalnotemedia.com/the-brass-junkies/marybowden
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: