• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is a $280 New Bach Stradivarius Trumpet too good to be true?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
Here's a trumpet being sold on Taiwan's version of ebay for around $70 that uses both strad and tr500 language.
https://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21818975345115

The mystery I've had for China and Taiwan is that it seems like someone other than Carol, Jinbao, and Jupiter would have set themselves up as good, reliable makers of student trumpets under one name. The fake bach above is different than other fake bachs. I would not risk it, even for a junker trumpet, because the range is so broad on these instruments. Some are clearly made using the same factories putting out instruments for reputable makers and others come with rust flakes and uneven soldering and poor quality metal. I guess that ACB, Dillons, and others must have factories they work with directly to weed out poorer quality materials.

I know that at least one (and probably both) of those dealers you mentioned does their own “weeding out” once they receive shipments, and the clunkers go back. Neither of those dealers is going to risk their reputation by selling trumpet shaped paper weights, and I’m fairly sure that the “keepers” get a pretty thorough enhancements/corrections before they are sold.

Brad
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
grune wrote:
wrap-up:
........3/ Just because people in this forum, who all seem to be based in the USA, see only "junk" coming from China, does not mean all products in China are junk.

It means only what you see.

The Chinese can and do make much better horns than what you see currently in your local area. But likely you may never see the better horns reach your area, as these would need to sell at much higher prices [re middle men] than the "junk" you see now, which would then be in direct competition to entrenched brands, which could result in zero sales volume for the better Chinese horns. Again, trumpets are now a very commercial product.

IF consumers want better, they must direct their attentions/protests to the correct causes and be willing to accept the likely increase in prices.

- regards,

In addition to your “wrap up”:

I don’t know which Chinese made trumpets you see in your area, but in mine you don’t see them at all, the vast majority of what I see in the hands of a few uninformed students was purchased on line, usually by a well intentioned parent or grandparent. And the majority of what I do see is very poor quality, and that certainly DOES NOT MEAN THAT EVERY HORN MADE IN CHINA is junk. Carol Brass (ok, Taiwan, it’s close) trumpets are very well made and play (I’ve owned four) very well. IMO.

Brad

There is a big difference between Taiwan and the mainland in terms of the quality of the manufacture. I always include Taiwan on the list of countries that have good trumpet making.

Back in the early 80's, we had samples of the first Conservarte' trumpets brought to our shop for analysis of their quality. There was none. Valves that turned black after a few months of use, and two page's worth of other defects which I enumerated to the supplier.

But look what has happened since - Carol Brass, Jupiter, et al, are OK to good quality. It took them a while to get there, but they have. And the mainland factories will get there as well - some day. But they aren't there yet, from all I've seen, and that's what we have to go on.

-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that on Taiwan, but in Taiwan there are also companies that make a lot of different instrument brands. I met a guy who does a brand now called "Harmonie," but who said he'd worked on another company, I think Mauriat. I bought a fake Carol flubagone, which looked a lot like the Wessex ones. I've said before that my carolbrass caps are compatible with my Fides ones and clearly carol produces stencils and so do other manufacturers in Taiwan. It surprises me that in both Taiwan and China there are pretty good manufacturers who are still using weird brands. China also clearly has companies that can make good trumpets, but has no reliable domestic brand widely followed abroad.

I look at trumpets on facebook too, and here's one that came up as a "Hand Made SilverSonic, Superised [sic[ by ST1200s USA."
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/317096195869390/
Obviously, this is not a US made trumpet and it's also not mistakable as a silversonic (I'm in my 40s and don't think I've ever had a peer play on one of the originals). It's just funny to me. Why use silversonic if literally none of your audience, domestic or foreign, would be on the market for that trumpet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: