• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C trumpet acclimatation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: C trumpet acclimatation Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Dont know what happened, I was asked to sub in two different orchestras and the conductors insist to play with a C trumpet.
So I borrowed one from a friend of mine and found why everyone talks about a different ' feel ' than the Bb !
Aside from the fact that I have to activate my whole step up ear ( I hear in Bb ), what kind of practice would you recommend to getting used to it ?
I have some Big Band / Combo gigs coming along as well and cant put the Bb aside ( nor the shallow mouthpieces ! )

Any help appreciated

Thanks
JiCe
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: C trumpet acclimatation Reply with quote

jicetp wrote:
Hi everyone,

Dont know what happened, I was asked to sub in two different orchestras and the conductors insist to play with a C trumpet.
So I borrowed one from a friend of mine and found why everyone talks about a different ' feel ' than the Bb !
Aside from the fact that I have to activate my whole step up ear ( I hear in Bb ), what kind of practice would you recommend to getting used to it ?
I have some Big Band / Combo gigs coming along as well and cant put the Bb aside ( nor the shallow mouthpieces ! )

Any help appreciated

Thanks
JiCe

Give yourself some credit. You're already a good trumpet player. So it won't take long to settle into that groove for the C tpt. Keep thinking to yourself,

"It's not that hard".

Also there are some cool advantages to the C. Whereas your squirrelly first ledger line A natural (on the B flat) is just a G top of the staff now. So you'll probably never miss that note again. That and the even more fuzzy A flat (on the B flat tpt) is just a top line F#. The higher pitched horns make the upper register easier. I like to compare the relationship of the higher pitched horns to the B flat by using the analogy of a game of darts.

If you're fifteen foot away? You can't expect to throw a bullseye every time. Chances are you'll have to feel satisfied just by hitting the board. However if you could stand only half that distance away from the target? It would be incredibly easy to make a good score. And this is what the higher pitched trumpet does. It "brings you closer to the target".

Thus?

1.Take care not to over train your chops before your orchestra gig. As a swollen, tired and exhausted embouchure is both difficult to work with and can cause greater anxiety. We all tend to over-train when concerned abt a new challenge. So force yourself to lay back a little. If you see yourself pushing too hard.

2. Reinforce good, positive thoughts. Such as how much easier it'll be to pop those normally touchy A naturals and A flats. Which are now just G and G flat top of the staff. Easy as pie.

Just as an aside, about a year ago I was having a Dickens of a time trying to make a very exposed trumpet solo sound perfect. It was a Bernstein piece called "Danzon". My B flat trumpet just wasn't cutting it like I wanted. It had a lot of wide interval leaps and some sustained high C's. However once I transposed it to the C trumpet?

Damn! I sounded like Severinsen!!!

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO it does take time to get accustomed to any different trumpet, even Bb to Bb. Now you're adding the change to a C trumpet. Not only a different key, but different blow, different slotting AND a different tone.

Practice on the C, playing the same things that you would play on your Bb, both transposed and not transposed.. let the sound be more brilliant, more crispy and have a tuner handy.

Though, I'm comfortable using the same mouthpiece on both Bb and C, I find I much prefer a mouthpiece (the same rim/cup) with a more opened throat on the C. That seems to match the instrument and my goal with it better. (helps upper register pitch too).

I always start my day(s) on my Bb before I pick up any other trumpet/cornet. Starting my day on a C or smaller has often not resulted in a "good" day. Probably a issue that is located between my ears, but real for me.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Bb do you typically play? What mouthpiece do you play with it in a legit setting?

What C trumpet are you using?

When I was playing Bach trumpets and mouthpieces, I found that getting a mouthpiece with a larger throat and backbone (same cup) for my C made things more comfortable.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few things that you need to get accustomed to.

First, the C may feel tighter than your Bb. I find that even large bore C trumpets -- which is what most orchestral players use -- feel tighter than a ML or L bore Bb trumpet. You'll adjust to that fairly quickly if you work the C trumpet into your daily practice. As some folks have noted, a different mouthpiece -- even if just a different throat/backbore -- may help with that.

Second, you have to start thinking in concert pitch so that your fingerings and the sound you want to produce are in sync. Again, regular practice will help with that.

Third, as others have noted, you need to get used to the playing characteristics of the C trumpet: Generally brighter and more controlled. If someone is telling you to play on a C trumpet (vice transposing on your Bb), I'd suggest that means that they are looking for that kind of sound.

In terms of what to practice, I'd suggest pretty much anything you play on your Bb is fair game on your C. Once you adjust to the feel/sound of the C trumpet I find etudes -- transposed into various keys -- to be a great way to work the C trumpet into my daily practice. You can start with Getchell or the Hering recreational study books and work your way up through Charlier, Pietzsch and the other advanced etude books. Excerpts and full parts are also really useful.

Good luck!

Last edited by Dayton on Sun May 05, 2019 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the conductor is a trumpet player...

Take a leaf from the timpanists' book. When asked to use different mallets, they hold them up, smile, nod and just use that they know is correct.

If the conductor goes on about it, tell them your Bb is a 'custom' C horn that looks different from the usual factory stamped ones.
gutlo

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you first pick up the C, do pedal tones. At first, they will be unfocused and have little pitch, but keep at it and they will get better. You will find the switch to C a lot easier.

When you go back to Bb, do more pedal tones.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started on the C I struggled with tone and pitch. My teacher instructed me to aim higher in the slot and things started working much better.

I'd warm up on the Bb and when you move to the C start off by doing a bunch of low-impact Clarke technical studies in all the keys just to get you centered on the pitches.

I used to resist using the alternate fingerings near the top of the staff but most every C benefits from those alternate fingers. Just suck it up and learn them.

Not to be too pessimistic but the C is not going to play or sound good on a shallow piece. A medium cup is bound to work much better.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started playing C trumpet in undergrad, I had been playing on a .470 bore Bb and the C, which was a large-bore Bach, seemed really stuffy. My trumpet teacher advised I leave the Bb in the case (except for rehearsals and gigs) for a few days and just practice on the C trumpet. After about three days with the horn I found it responded better if I approached it closer to the way I played my piccolo trumpet, with a more focused but less forced air stream. You can't horse stuff out on the C the way you sometimes can on the Bb. Eventually I reached the point where I could switch back and forth without difficulty--just had to make sure I played both horns every day.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces

Last edited by spitvalve on Sun May 05, 2019 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: C trumpet acclimatation Reply with quote

jicetp wrote:
Hi everyone,

Any help appreciated

Thanks
JiCe

I used to play a lot of C trumpet. I haven't in a while and I do a lot of big band work. If I were called to play an orchestra job today, I would most likely play on B-flat. I'm a little surprised that the conductors would ask you to play the C and I find it hard to believe that they would know the difference.

Years ago this same thing happened to me in a community orchestra. I went out and bought a C trumpet but, I never used it.

As far as what to practise to learn the C, it's all already said. I wouldn't mess around with changing the mouthpiece. If you change the mouthpiece, you're throwing another variable in the mix to do two gigs. Just spend a lot of time on the C.

Maybe bring the C and B-flat on the stage as if you need both and just play the B-flat?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: