• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Inexpensive Cornets in Australia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Pereira

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Inexpensive Cornets in Australia Reply with quote

I'm in Australia and would like to know whether the following dealers/suppliers have actual premises where real people and the products advertised can be seen:
I & K Music
Wessex-Brass Australia & NZ

I have an I & K baritone that I bought on eBay. Being a beginner, I am not in a position to assess the competence of this instrument overall but it does seem to me to have a pleasant tone and is not difficult to sound. If this is any indication of how their cornets sound I start out favourably predisposed. Of course, I appreciate that a pleasant tone is not the only consideration and if the harmonics are not in tune the instrument is not much good. If anyone has any experience of this brand of cornet I should be grateful to have their impressions.

Also, has anyone owned or played the Fontaine FBW 465 Bflat Cornet and if so what do they think of it?
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I and K have a warehouse in Altona where instruments can be tried, ring first.
I have only had experience with 2 I and K trumpets, an older one, very solidly built and a C that was not in tune, turned out to have been built with Bb valve loops.

Wessex and Fontain I do not know.

Regards, Stuart.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a very good selection of everything brass, including cornets, contact Ozwinds Coburg or another Ozwinds branch that is located closer to you.
John Pereira

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Stuart, for the info about the Altona warehouse.
I think I would have to ring first as I have not found a street address.

I gather that the Bflat trumpet has been satisfactory as regards tuning and mechanically?

One would think that the C trumpet could be rectified by substituting the appropriate valve loops - or am I in my ignorance overlooking something?

Their prices look good and if there is an actual address to which one can have recourse to real people it would appear that this business might be the answer I am looking for.
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I & K horns have been accepted by many Pro players I know of and have worked with.

I have owned and played several of their horns and for the money, are typically very good. (But there were a couple that were just plain awful.)

I & K stands for Isaac and Katrina, and I could play their horns at their unit in Altona. Make an appointment with them.

I owned one of their top-of-the-range cornets a while ago and it was very good.

Worth a try as they have a refund policy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: