• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can you excercise the trumpet without using a trumpet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tro.sy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Can you excercise the trumpet without using a trumpet? Reply with quote

Hello Guys, what are some excercises that you can do when you don't have your trumpet with you? For example when you are walking or sitting in the train. Can you use the time to practice your trumpet skills, like maybe train your lips muscles?
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Listen to great musicians (trumpet and non-trumpet)
2. Try to recreate the sounds of these musicians in your imagination loudly and vividly
3. Listen to music with the score
4. Try to hear the score in your imagination loudly and vividly
5. Slowly practice through things you’re working on with the piano app on your phone
6. Make play along tracks on your phone (I use GarageBand)
7. Read good books on music, performing, or learning skills
8. Have a healthy snack and just think about things
9. Mental practice

Link
outskiing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Lip Buzzing and Strengthening Reply with quote

You can also use your mouthpiece for lip buzzing and there are a number of lips/embrasure exercises that you can use discretely. I've found this little book Improve your Chops Without Playing a Note https://www.amazon.com/Improve-Your-Chops-Without-Playing-ebook/dp/B00AK12M5Kto be helpful along with numerous YouTube videos.

Cheers!

Stephen
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's the physical side of things, the trumpet side of things and then the musical. The first response covered musical. Buzzing, fingers on the forearm etc. covers the production side of things and is what most players will focus on to such an extent they lose sight of the musical.

Physically, breathing exercises, cardiovascular health, finger dexterity and other similar thing which you can work on with no trumpet , mouthpiece of embouchure in sight can have a huge effect on your playing.

Lastly, the emotional. Be in a positive head space when doing your musical anythings. Have a growth mindset. Accept failures and missed notes like a certain young female tennis player did the other day at Wimbledon.

So if we get our heads straight, be in as good health as we can, make sure our production is working well and we think of the music above all, we might have a chance of playing well today... tomorrow? Do it all again!

cheers

Andy
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try a PETE. It doesn't take the place of practice, but does help the chops work out better than just sitting there and it makes no noise like buzzing the mouthpiece. If there is no problem with a little noise, then using the mouthpiece would be the better solution.
geigerjt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a teacher drill into my head "If you can sing it, you can play it." As I get "older" I find it's really one of the most effective practice methods. It helps me learn the music away from the instrument so once you pick up the horn you're automatically creating a good aural connection. It's easier on the chops especially to figure out what it's supposed to sound like away from the instrument and singing is a great way to do that.

However if you're on a train or public area, humming might be better.

A friend recommended a book called Embouchure Rehabilitation by Lucinda Lewis after some chop issues I was having. There's some "isometric" exercises in there that I found helpful to really stabilize the embouchure and they don't require playing. Some involve the mouthpiece though. Honestly they're pretty tough on the face muscles so it wouldn't be something I would do for more than 10 or 15 minutes maximum each day.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Can you excercise the trumpet without using a trumpet? Reply with quote

Tro.sy wrote:
Hello Guys, what are some excercises that you can do when you don't have your trumpet with you?

I do lip isometrics but they're not out of any method book, just some things I came up with on my own. Important to note they're based on the kind of lip tension that actually occurs when playing, not the kind of tension that happens when free-buzzing which I personally regard as useless.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
KRHafer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: PETE Reply with quote

I would absolutely recommend using a PETE on off days or if you are traveling. I keep one in the car all the time and use it any time I take a drive. Amazing what just a few minutes can do to prevent decay. Of course, you will need to come back to the horn and play long tones to readjust afterward.
Trubicar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sing and finger through your material. Joe Alessi said that singing is sometimes better practice than playing your horn.
kozzicomma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
1. Listen to great musicians (trumpet and non-trumpet)
2. Try to recreate the sounds of these musicians in your imagination loudly and vividly
3. Listen to music with the score
4. Try to hear the score in your imagination loudly and vividly
5. Slowly practice through things you’re working on with the piano app on your phone
6. Make play along tracks on your phone (I use GarageBand)
7. Read good books on music, performing, or learning skills
8. Have a healthy snack and just think about things
9. Mental practice

Honestly, i think this is the best advice in this thread yet (all 9 points). I've used the PETE, and it's a nice tool to have, but PLEASE use it sparingly. In fact, i wouldn't suggest trying to tire yourself out on it at all. And definitely make sure you do nice soft and low long tones with great tone production on the horn after your rest period and almost nothing else. You're always better off spending time on the horn, but in lieu of that, the PETE can help keep the face in shape. Anyway, onto the mouthpiece: this, again, i'd say do very sparingly, but less sparingly than the PETE. The mouthpiece is not the horn, and behaves very differently. Too much mouthpiece work can be detrimental to your tone production on the horn. Out of all of these topics, points, etc. I'd say that the 9 points mentioned by JoseLindE4 above are far and away better time spent off the horn than trying to stay in shape physically via mouthpiece or isometric exercises and tools like the PETE.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you can do is get a length of plastic tubing that fits your mouthpiece; it can be cut to the length that makes it the equivalent of a Bb bugle, or a G bugle, etc. It's portable, lightweight, not too loud if you don't put a funnel on the end for a bell, and unlike blowing the mouthpiece alone or something like a BERP, it's resonant and this seems to make a BIG difference.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you excercise the trumpet without using a trumpet? Reply with quote

Tro.sy wrote:
Hello Guys, what are some excercises that you can do when you don't have your trumpet with you? For example when you are walking or sitting in the train. Can you use the time to practice your trumpet skills, like maybe train your lips muscles?

No
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no substitute for time. on. the. horn.

I was a mouthpiece-buzzing fool years ago. I figured, if I buzzed while watching hours of movies per night, I'd get back on the horn and be a monster, right?

No.

The horn is resonant. Your whole system has to resonate. Lip/mouthpiece buzzing is nothing like it.

The closest you might come is a bugle or a "bugle" made out of a length of tubing a' la the "Hosaphone" because it is also resonant. You'll be restricted to playing bugle calls but it'll be something.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my high school years in class I used to play fingerings while imaging the notes or very quietly whistling them. I did scales, Clarke technical studies, and tunes then I advanced to jazz licks and soloing over the blues, etc. I still have that habit today when waiting for the bus, riding the subway, watching tv, etc. I think it helped me a lot.

Recently I discovered this master class with Hal Galper. It's basically the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7DgCrziI8
Coemgen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Can you excercise the trumpet without using a trumpet? Reply with quote

Tro.sy wrote:
I'm trying to learn to sound Taps well enough so I can volunteer for Bugles Across America. As a practice extender, I've found it helpful to (nearly) soundlessly voice bugle calls, such as Taps or Retreat. This can be done with or without a horn.

For example, Taps is (voicelessly) sounded like:
too too tah,
too tah tay,
too tah tay,
too tah tay,
too tah tay,
tah tay tee,
tay tah too,
too too tah

Of course, the "tee" (high G) in Taps is sounded much higher in the mouth than where English speakers sound the word tee but this exercise is helpful with concentrating on moving the tongue and palatal muscles to sound higher notes.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you excercise the trumpet without using a trumpet? Reply with quote

Tro.sy wrote:

Off trumpet exercises that can be done when you don't have access to a trumpet and/or can't play out loud include breathing exercises. If you're interested in learning a great breathing exercise send me and e-mail (not a private message) and I will reply with a word document describing the two types of breathing exercises Claude Gordon gave us to do.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Coemgen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
One thing you can do is get a length of plastic tubing that fits your mouthpiece; it can be cut to the length that makes it the equivalent of a Bb bugle, or a G bugle, etc. It's portable, lightweight, not too loud if you don't put a funnel on the end for a bell, and unlike blowing the mouthpiece alone or something like a BERP, it's resonant and this seems to make a BIG difference.
Thanks for the idea!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: