• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Schagerl Trumpet LU5A

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hothouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: New Schagerl Trumpet LU5A Reply with quote

Hello,

i've found a interesting new trumpet for a special sound concept (like Marquis Hill, Erik Truffaz,etc.).
The New Schagerl Trumpet LU5A:
https://www.facebook.com/schagerl/videos/701334320291888/

So my next holiday are around Mank!

Nice Day!
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those without FB, here is the same video on YT:

Link

Gileno Santana is the artist.[/youtube]

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a stunning horn. But the sound is his unique Voice. The trumpet may help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P48VO15VZU4
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evolution wrote:
Definitely a stunning horn. But the sound is his unique Voice. The trumpet may help.

Gileno Santana played some of the licks from 'Malaco' on the Schagerl promo video ... very cool song and riffs.

Yes, he has his own voice on trumpet!

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to play this trumpet since introduced. ITG '20 in Columbus, OH was on my calendar, but COVID shut it down. I kept thinking about it, and without first playing I finally ordered one.
-
What a fabulous playing trumpet. I don't sound like Gileno ... just me ... but I absolutely love it! If you get a chance to play one, try it!

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful horn, Blaine. Can you describe it, weightwise, feel, sound tendencies?

And how does the design, the unusual shape at the bell crook, the bracing, how do these elements affect the sound?

Thanks, Blaine; I look forward to hearing from you.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
Beautiful horn, Blaine. Can you describe it, weightwise, feel, sound tendencies?

And how does the design, the unusual shape at the bell crook, the bracing, how do these elements affect the sound?

Thanks, Blaine; I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for commenting, as always.

Long answer alert:

The weight or the LU5A is 2.75 pounds, while my Adams A4 LT-S is 2.93 pounds. My DaCarbo Unica is 2.44 pounds. None of these 3 feel 'heavy' to me, but I think a Bach Strad 37 or similar 'standard' horn would be just above 2 pounds. The (non LT) Adams A4 and Monette P3 STC are certainly the heaviest horns I have played ... which I don't enjoy holding/playing on long gigs as much now that I am over 60.

My LU5A is a large bore and they also make it in ML. I haven't seen anything posting the bore specs on this model, but see some other large bore Schagerl's are .465. My Romeo Adaci was also .465 which was a good fit for me. I know the overall bore isn't the most important spec, as the choke and other items will totally change how it feels to the player, so I wasn't really that concerned with the spec beyond an interest to know more details about this horn. I find the LU5A L bore to be 'in-between' the blow of my Adams and DaCarbo = which is 'just right' to me. It does not 'feel' like a large bore to me. Makes me wonder what the ML would be like ... ???

- Many 'standard' ML horns feel too tight and restrictive (too much back pressure) to me. My Adams A4 LT-S is to most 'open blowing' ML bore that I have ever played. I also really like the more open wrap (up and down + side to side) of that horn, which feels very comfortable in my hands. A child or adult with smaller hands might find it too big.

- The LU5A wrap in the hands also feels in-between that of my Adams and the DaCarbo. None of these 3 are as tight/compact as a Bach 37, Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt, or Getzen 900DLX to hold.

- Playing: One of the first things I noticed about the LU5A is that I can play it very softly with absolute control. It speaks so easily and clearly. It can also crescendo well and the sound doesn't break up when pushed louder. The overall timbre of the LU5A is brighter than the Adams (no surprise, as it a 5.5" red brass bell), but also brighter than the DaCarbo's carbon fiber bell. I have played it with 1 mouthpiece so far, as I am now only playing an AR Resonance model with a medium cup ... but find the LU5A very flexible to control soft/medium/loud + dark/medium/bright, as desired. I imagine it would blend well in a section with more common trumpets.

- The LU5A's bell is a thicker rotary trumpet bell, which is another reason it has more weight than a standard horn. The bell is also changeable, so that is why, when looking from the top down on the instrument, that you see the interesting bracing from the valve block to the leadpipe. The bell is only connected at the 1st valve and a U-shaped guide piece at the top of the valve casings. The curved bracing in the bell curve and tuning slide were a sonic experiment, which Schagerl artist Gilleno Santana describes in the video above like a vibrating 'tuning fork'. The way the tubing flairs out before the bend on these 2 elements is also very different. I really don't know if these have any positive effect on the sound, but they aren't creating any negative issues and look cool/different.

- I have only had the LU5A for 2 days now, so overall playing time has been limited to about 4 hours since I was also working full-time ... but I am really struck by how much I enjoy playing this horn from the first minute with no time needed to assimilate to any uniqueness or idiosyncrasies.

You typically know when you play a new horn for the first time if you like it a lot, some, or not much at all. I can easily say that the LU5A is one of my favorite trumpets ... and may be my absolute favorite ever. More time will determine if it is my #1, but I'm just so thankful and happy to have 3 such spectacular trumpets to enjoy. My Adams A4 LT-S was a custom order with that bigger A4 bell and just 'sings' beautifully ... the DaCarbo has the best valves on the planet and is ridiculously proficient in fast passages ... and the LU5A seems to be an all-around gem. Schagerl and Gileno call it 'the flexible one', which seems appropriate now that I have played it. And then there is the finish on that horn (amazing). This is my first Schagerl trumpet made in Austria, and all I can say is 'bravo' and 'well done'.

I look forward to an upcoming trumpet hang with my good friend Jon to play his Edwards X-13 next to the LU5A. I have played that horn already and also find it to speak and play among the best I've experienced. Oh what a time ... we have so many amazing trumpet options to 'fit' our unique, individual preferences!

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bell bracing

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super comments, Blaine. And excellent pics as well.
Thank you.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
some_blue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Beautiful! Reply with quote

evolution wrote:

Beautiful, light, love it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: