• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pics/History of old Distin, Boosey, Hawkes, Bessons Cornets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hartleymartin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Pics/History of old Distin, Boosey, Hawkes, Bessons Cornets Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to put together a presentation on the history of Boosey & Hawkes manufacturing of Cornets.

I've got a broad history, starting with Distin, acquisition of Besson and the merger with Boosey and Hawkes, the gradual problems from the 1970s that eventually lead to the selling off/closure of the manufacturing business.

I am after a selection of photos of different models/designs from the whole history of production, with notes on design features such as Solbron, Silbron, the New Valve Action, the various markings, export/domestic markets, etc.

I have had loan of a 1911 example with the double water-key. I am after photos of various models that people might have, with a couple of notes/comments on playing quality, maintenance, etc. If anyone is able to provide with some personal comments that I can add to my presentation, I will be most appreciative.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple that might help:

This 1886 Boosey cornet is essentially a Distin. It still carries the trademark eagle used by Distin in the bell crest. Interestingly it is in the Courtois Arban format whereas most Distin and Boosey horns were the more standard Courtois Arbuckle form.

http://www.trumpet-history.com/Virtual%20Museum_files/newpic035.JPG

Boosey, and the B&H, rather than recording actual counts of instruments built each year, recorded what percentage of total production a give model was. If a model did not sell enough to make up some minimal percentage (I think in the late 19th century that meant selling at least 5 units), it was recorded as zero percent or not mentioned at all. Consequently, the firm recorded no combination cornets (C/Bb/A) until well into the 20th century. These two pictures are of an 1887 Boosey combination cornet. This is, I believe, the earliest known. While I don’t know how many were made that year, I do know it was less than 5.

http://www.trumpet-history.com/Virtual%20Museum_files/newpic080.JPG
http://www.trumpet-history.com/Virtual%20Museum_files/newpic079.JPG

As you can see, it is still basically a Distin style cornet. This one plays quite nice with a typical 19th century cornet sound & feel. For whatever reason, it saw relatively little use and has seen at least one restoration - though not an extensive one.

The cases for both horns were the typical trapezoidal top-loading wood boxes of the period.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
hartleymartin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I did some work on a Boosey & Co Cornet made in 1911 that had the double water-key. I wonder when they discontinued that design, because I just bought a 1923-dated Boosey Cornet that is the more modern single water-key type.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: