• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Want a brand new Bach Strad for cheap??

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tulsaband

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the case looks like a much better copy than the actual copy of the horn on the Artisan! You'd have to not ever seen these horns before to be fooled by these copies. They look like cheap-o!!!

Ceth Barnett
www.tulsaband.com
KennyR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Bach strad knockoff Lamps Reply with quote

First I heard of it was some [one] on Youtube has a video showing the fake piece of crap and he says if you cannot afford a real one then buy this piece of junk. My comment was to save his money and buy real one either used or new. I've had my Model 37 for 45 years and it still plays wonderfully. When it is built right and taken care of it will last for a lifetime. You could take the fake one and make a lamp out of it . If someone gave me one I would do that but I am not paying for one.

Edited by Moderators - Name calling is not permitted on the TH. Do refrain.
GGH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning Bach trumpets in China - Most Bach trumpets are made in China ( beginner and intermediates) have been for years. Steinway bought Selmer Bach some years ago and then got grabbed by a hedge fund _ Paulsen. He is trying or has sold them to Poly Corp , a Chines government division. The Chinese have all the tools and designs. I think we may eventually find that the fake Strads are the real thing. I am starting to think Elkhart is a warehouse - never been there but maybe someone in the area could drive by for fun. I have heard that you now have to audition several Strads to get a good one. I can't believe that a Strad hasn't been play tested if a craftsman made it. I think the customer at the US store is the first guy to put a mouthpiece in it.
If the Chinese don't/haven't bought them, vintage( 2019 models)Strads are going to go way up in price soon.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GGH wrote:
Concerning Bach trumpets in China - Most Bach trumpets are made in China ( beginner and intermediates) have been for years. Steinway bought Selmer Bach some years ago and then got grabbed by a hedge fund _ Paulsen. He is trying or has sold them to Poly Corp , a Chines government division. The Chinese have all the tools and designs. I think we may eventually find that the fake Strads are the real thing. I am starting to think Elkhart is a warehouse - never been there but maybe someone in the area could drive by for fun. I have heard that you now have to audition several Strads to get a good one. I can't believe that a Strad hasn't been play tested if a craftsman made it. I think the customer at the US store is the first guy to put a mouthpiece in it.
If the Chinese don't/haven't bought them, vintage( 2019 models)Strads are going to go way up in price soon.

Interesting first post. Do you have any links to support your assumptions?

I am sure it will come as a surprise to the posters on here who have visited the factory that it is only a warehouse.

As to the "try many purchase one" mantra... That has been around forever, it certainly is not a recent development related to change in ownership.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
GGH wrote:

Interesting first post. Do you have any links to support your assumptions?

I am sure it will come as a surprise to the posters on here who have visited the factory that it is only a warehouse.

As to the "try many purchase one" mantra... That has been around forever, it certainly is not a recent development related to change in ownership.

Thank you LittleRusty.

Brad
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GGH wrote:
I am starting to think Elkhart is a warehouse.

Yep. And the moon landing was filmed on a soundstage.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk is back !!!
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GGH wrote:

I was at Elkhart not quite two years ago with Tedd Waggoner & Roy Hempley to look at the changes Paulson is making. You can read about the shifting balance of hand and machine work (all in Elkhart except a few trim parts made in Eastlake - sorry, not Asia) in this:

http://www.trumpet-history.com/Consistently%20unique.pdf

Every time I hear someone refer to auditioning many Strads, as if there is only one design (actually, using Build a Bach there are hundreds of thousands of combinations of options), it makes me laugh. The point of a horn that fits YOU perfectly is that it is just a little unique. Its not an accident, its intentional that Bach Strads have personalities. And yes, they are all play tested - though those guys have a brutal workload these days. Not something my chops could handle.

The Prelude line is made in Asia, and the TR-300s are made at Eastlake with an Elkhart bell, but all Strads are made at Elkhart. The $300 fake Bachs on EBay and AliExpress are blatant frauds. That EBay participates in marketing counterfeits by selling them premium search result placement AS BACHs, is both amazing and distressing.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20

Last edited by OldSchoolEuph on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
The $300 fake Bachs on EBay and AliExpress are blatant frauds. That EBay participates in marketing counterfeits by selling them premium search result placement AS BACHs, is both amazing and distressing.

Good post by OldSchoolEuph. This last part is worth repeating, because it's not just happening with Bach trumpets. Amazon and eBay routinely sell other counterfeit instruments, such as the high-end Suzuki Sirius harmonicas. The authentic ones sell for about $1000, while the counterfeits are sold for around $300. The Suzuki website warns people to avoid the counterfeits (http://www.suzukimusic.com/harmonicas/).

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend of mine went to China and returned with a $240 Bach 190.

It makes for a good prop.

It was hard to tell here that she got took, because she thought she got me a great deal. So I used it as best I could when I visit, and eventually had her - a complete novice - A/B that one with my 1978 180/37.

She cried, I bought dinner, all was well. I still use it to practice at her place, but she prefers the sound of the cornet with her piano.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredo wrote:
Kirk is back !!!

No!!!!!!😱😱

Honestly, it’s common sense; if a price on most anything is too good to be true, it usually is. There’s a big difference between a great deal and an unrealistic one.

Brad
GGH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trumpet business has been having a hard time for year and years. Bach got rid of its craftsman back in the 1990s I believe. Steinway bought most of the nonboutique firms and Paulsen ( hedgefund) goggled them up and is or has sold them to China (Poly Group). Jupiter and Yamaha and several European makers use China alot - parts, assembly, whole trumpet. Free Trade is the wave of the future and recent past. How many "USA" trumpets made in China say "Made in USA". The Yamahas say "Made in Japan" in English no less. Staying just ahead of bankruptcy and stockholders makes strange bed fellows.
Is the Bach 300 etc junk. The USA ads give them good press.

PS I happened across a Artisan and all the other pro models.some years ago that was on Amazon. About $250 if I remember right. I jumped and bought one. Maybe some of you saw the ad. Amazon cancelled my order immediately and took down the ad. I thought they screwed up and were posting the wholesale price from Bach. Now I suspect an alternative may be that I was seeing Chinese trumpets for sale. Amazon wouldn't give me an answer. Any answer they gave me would have sucked I guess. Any of you know the wholesale price for any of the complete lineup of Strads in the late 1990s. $250 would have been quite high for a Chinese product that many years ago.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you’re referring to THESE guys?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Poly_Group

Bach “got rid of it’s craftsmen”?? So who is building the instruments now? Somehow I don’t think you can pay someone who is unskilled to build a quality, or even just marginal brass instrument.

I don’t know, there are a few guys here with actual direct contact to Bach/Selmer, maybe some of them will comment. This sounds like a whole bunch of black helicopter/trilateral commission stuff to me.

Brad
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who read the link I posted earlier would know that many of the workers at Bach have been there for decades - that wouldn't be the case if they were "got rid of". If you read that piece you would also know that I stood in Elkhart <2 years ago watching TR-300 bells being made for shipment to Eastlake. They are unusually fine instruments for their price point. Finally, anyone who read that piece would be aware of the substantial investment Paulson has made in Bach Elkhart INSTEAD of selling off the assets.

Why is it the moderators jump all over the slightest hint of anything less than rule-correct (didn't want to say PC there) where any other maker is concerned, but when someone bashes Bach or the skilled and dedicated workforce there, they are fine with it?

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Anyone who read the link I posted earlier would know that many of the workers at Bach have been there for decades - that wouldn't be the case if they were "got rid of". If you read that piece you would also know that I stood in Elkhart <2 years ago watching TR-300 bells being made for shipment to Eastlake. They are unusually fine instruments for their price point. Finally, anyone who read that piece would be aware of the substantial investment Paulson has made in Bach Elkhart INSTEAD of selling off the assets.

Why is it the moderators jump all over the slightest hint of anything less than rule-correct (didn't want to say PC there) where any other maker is concerned, but when someone bashes Bach or the skilled and dedicated workforce there, they are fine with it?

If you think a post needs censoring you should PM the user Moderators.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:

This (the first paragraph) is what I was hoping to see posted.

That being said, I really don’t believe that the mods here are any more lenient about anti Bach posts than they are with other criticism of other makers, but I really don’t like to see unsubstantiated hearsay posted about Bach or any other maker. I started a thread a while back voicing concerns I had about the condition of some new Strads I’ve seen recently in the hands of students, and was heartened to see constructive and positive comments about that situation.

Brad
Dutch Guy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really bad. Of course, if you KNOW that you're buying them cheap from ali or ebay, you KNOW that they are not the real thing. Many people just want to see whether they are any good or not, and buy them just for fun. Buying them for yourself is one thing, but the bad part comes after.

At one point, all those are going to be sold 2nd hand, probably through some local or national website (ebay for example, but most countries have their own similar website). And now problems start, because either the seller is honest and says is is a fake, or he sells it as if it were real. Only he knows the truth. If he sells it as fake, it will be bought by another person like him/here to try as 'just for fun', OR, someone who wants to make a profit, and will sell it as if it were real. And from that point on, these start flooding the market, without the actual receipts from real stores, from people that already got them second hand. Only those that have owned one can really tell the difference, and even then it's hard sometimes.

The ones that fall for it are the ones that haven't owned a Bach before, kids looking for their first pro horn, parents looking for their kids, musicians that are not into the internet and so on. and the cycle continues.

People often ask me to help them with purchasing trumpets and trombones, because they don't really know anything about other brands, prices and so on. For the last year or so, I have actively recommended to NOT buy Bach stradivarius trumpets anymore without official receipts of a store in this country. There are just too many fakes.
GGH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia - strike from 2006 to 2009 - replacement workers hired - after strike only 1/3 of workers returned.
One poster said he was worried about the quality of Strads his students used - did he suspect they were fakes or made by replacement workers.
The beginner Yamahas and Jupiters I believe are all made in their Chinese factories. If I remember the TR300s ( and other models) are all Chinese.
One person said " it doesn't matter where is't made but who it's made for" - referring to Yamahas.
From the Chinese sites I have been able to calculate that a trumpet is not very expensive to make. A really good real Chinese trumpet sells for from $70 to $1000 depending on quantity bought. If you buy in bulk they cost $70 each. That means the max build cost is $70 ( I bet about $35 per horn).
Paulsen, the last I heard,was trying to spruce the firm up so he could sell it.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GGH wrote:
I happened across a Artisan and all the other pro models.some years ago that was on Amazon. About $250 if I remember right. I jumped and bought one. Maybe some of you saw the ad. Amazon cancelled my order immediately and took down the ad. I thought they screwed up and were posting the wholesale price from Bach. Any of you know the wholesale price for any of the complete lineup of Strads in the late 1990s. $250 would have been quite high for a Chinese product that many years ago.

Are you saying that you tried to buy a trumpet off Amazon.com during the late 1990's? That WOULD have been difficult...
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To say that all TR-300s are made in China is a bald faced lie.

In 2009, they were made there for less than a year. After the strike, with an Elkhart workforce comprised of a little more than 50% returning workers (read the Elkhart Truth story cited in Wikipedia, or simply quote the entire statement I wrote there) TR-300 production returned to the US, where it had been previously.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: