• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Arban's Method

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rene

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>

[ This Message was edited by: Rene on 2004-01-26 14:53 ]
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Arban's isn't written to be played page by page. you should go from one to another doequally develop your skill. Anyway, you don't really have choice at a time you gotta have double and triple tonguing set to play some thing. I have alot of difficulties to get the syncronisation for ttk. tktk is starting to get better, but i'm just starting to learn about the double/triple tonguing and I must say that It may take a couple of month until I seriously start working hard on it. But, to get this good (the K ), the better thing to do is only practicing to do the K sound first. so youi play your scale doing K. It will be really slow at first because the tongue isn't set and as long as you'll go doing K everywhere, you'll be able to play little piece with all K sound and after that, you could start working the Double triple and even, fanfare tonguing in Arban. After that, you you can start workings on trills or thing like that ( triplet, turn, appogiature, and very fast passage)

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned double and triple tounging...
If you notice, Arban puts double tounging BEFORE triple tounging. If you can double toungue, you can triple toungue easily. The practicing of the K syllable is a great thing to do, especially on some scales (namely the scales that are easy, e.g. C, D, G, F, and the like--it is good to add something new to them, because you aren't worried about finger tech).

Might I also recommend an excercise that Dr. Brian Bowman (probably the best euphonium player in the world) suggested to me (I posted this also in the "How to Play 16th notes" thread). He told me that the secret to multiple tonguing is in single tounging. Pick a pattern (he recommended eighth, two sixteenths, eighth, two sixteenths, followed by eight sixteenths) and play this pattern on a scale (one note per measure--in 4/4). Start at a confortable tempo and single tongue it up an octave and a fifth, and then back down a fifth (so you should end on Do, and octave above where you started). Slowly increase the bpm's until you come to a tempo where you completely fall apart, then back off a few bpm's and do the pattern again and stop.

You should do this however much you find works for you, but at least until your tongue feels like falling off. I've done this for the past two weeks 10-15 minutes every day and it has increased my triple tonging by about 10-20 bpm's--no joke, it works. So there you go.
pjtpt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Arbans has triple tonguing before double tonguing (triple p. 155, double p. 175).
Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what edition do you have?
pjtpt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited by Goldman and Smith published by Carl Fischer.
Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPS! I misspoke!...correction: if you can triple, you can double...there it is! =D
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Arban is not meant to be played in sequence from page one to the end.

I remember in college hearing Pat Kunkee and some other guys get together with a case of beer and play the entire Arban book through in one sitting from 6 PM until the next morning. It was a funny thing to hear.

I think the other guys were John Doctor and Tim Divers both still in Los Angeles now, I think.
Pat is in Nashville and has been principal trumpet in the Nashville Symphony for several years now.

I don't tell my students about that way to practice the Arban book.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Bakerc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a funny story! I'm actually taking lessons from Pat Kunkee and asked him about this. He said the original plan was to make it through the whole thing, but they started at midnight and only made it to page 66 or so.

Made both of us laugh!
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should usually work from the start of each section and progress through all the sections simultaneously.

however, doing lots of the long half note and whole notes stuff at the start of the book is always beneficial, so you should never leave those out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: