• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shew jazz with more comfortable rim?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Shew jazz with more comfortable rim? Reply with quote

I really like the sound I get with the Bobby Shew Jazz trumpet mouthpiece by Yamaha. It gives me the best combination of dark-enough sound but zippy-enough backbore for flexibility and ability to hop around from register to register at a fast tempo.

Unfortunately, after playing for a while the rim is uncomfortable for me and somewhat painful.

I'd love to have a flatter rim with a sharper bite on it. Has anyone ever had a custom mouthpiece made of a Shew Jazz with a different rim?

Or, is there a mouthpiece out there made by another maker that is similar to Shew Jazz but with different rim options?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Reeves will copy your mouthpiece and change the rim to whatever you want it to be. I think they do custom work like that. It's worth an inquiry.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC it's pretty much a Bach 3c with a narrower rounded rim and a tighter backbore.

I would think talking to someone like Jim New (he of the many many scans) would be a good bet... The backbore is probably more like a Bach 76 than 10, Jim would probably know.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering why you think a sharper bite would be more comfortable.

I can tell you that while I like the sound I get from the Shew Jazz mouthpiece (I own one), my Reeves 43C is a similar size mouthpiece with a more comfortable rim. There is no way for you to know if it is for you unless you get one and use it for a while. Watch eBay or the TH Marketplace for a used one (or buy one new from the WWBC because if you don't like it you can return it for a refund within a certain amount of time).

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Trumpet Player and Teacher
Personal Valet to a Malamute (people with Malamutes will understand)
https://i.postimg.cc/R0G2bFdQ/IMG-6788.jpg
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Shew jazz with more comfortable rim? Reply with quote

markp wrote:
I really like the sound I get with the Bobby Shew Jazz trumpet mouthpiece by Yamaha. It gives me the best combination of dark-enough sound but zippy-enough backbore for flexibility and ability to hop around from register to register at a fast tempo.

Unfortunately, after playing for a while the rim is uncomfortable for me and somewhat painful.

I'd love to have a flatter rim with a sharper bite on it. Has anyone ever had a custom mouthpiece made of a Shew Jazz with a different rim?

Or, is there a mouthpiece out there made by another maker that is similar to Shew Jazz but with different rim options?

The Shew Jazz is basically a 3C with a slightly narrow rim. You should just go around trying one of the hundreds of 3C copies that are out there - maybe even a Bach!! - and settle on one that has the inner bite you are looking for.

I've owned dozens of 3C-style mouthpieces (including the Shew) over the years and the one with the flattest rim and sharpest bite was a Bach 3C I bought new in about 2005 or so. Try one!
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I am wondering why you think a sharper bite would be more comfortable.

I can tell you that while I like the sound I get from the Shew Jazz mouthpiece (I own one), my Reeves 43C is a similar size mouthpiece with a more comfortable rim. There is no way for you to know if it is for you unless you get one and use it for a while. Watch eBay or the TH Marketplace for a used one (or buy one new from the WWBC because if you don't like it you can return it for a refund within a certain amount of time).

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

Personal Valet to a Malamute (people with Malamutes will understand)
https://i.postimg.cc/R0G2bFdQ/IMG-6788.jpg

Thanks for the advice. On eBay there is a Reeves 43C listed for sale as a Rv2Tr43C.

What do the letters Rv2Tr mean? Is that a regular Reeves 43C or something different?
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheaper and more secure move is to send your piece to Reeves shop to cut the rim and put on a 43 rim the most forgiving rim ever made.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own for years an 80ties VB 3C mouthpiece (small deep letters with: vincent bach corp. 3C) and though it plays quite well, it's way too bright. I did not want to sell it because I am always expecting that some, some day, I will be able to get a better sound out of it. In the mean time I have great admiration for people who succeeded in that. How did they get a jazzy sound and not a typical (outdated?) classical sound out of this quite shallow mp? I played similar mp's like a Yamaha 14B4GP, and for years a Warburton Arturo cup with 5 bb but the genuine Bach was not my cup of tea. Still not is. Nowadays I play a Yamaha 14D4, not the same resonance as the Bach but more power, more low and more body to the sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: