• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which Horn, Small Group Jazz?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Which Horn, Small Group Jazz? Reply with quote

I have a little group that does jazz from the early 1900's. We are two horns, piano and bass. The music is my arrangements where the two horns alternate lead and then have tight harmony sections. Our gigs are small rooms from a small restaurant to a small concert venue. The biggest audience is maybe 50 people. No amplification.

Here's the question. The other horn guy plays baritone. Used to be trumpet. I play marching french horn. We started that way to get a trumpet and trombone kind of vibe. But we found the trumpet was just too much for the small venues. So we switched the other guy to baritone. Beautiful sound. We blend great.

But, the last gig someone commented that there's not enough difference in sound and it's kind of muddy. I listened to the recording and maybe they are right. I know, recording isn't the same as real ears.

I'm playing with the idea to switch my part to flugelhorn or small turn-of-the-century cornet. The cornet has a very light and small sound.

Which horn do you think works better for our application?

Thanks.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornet. It was the instrument of choice for the period. And mutes: straight solotone, pixie and plunger.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
Cornet. It was the instrument of choice for the period. And mutes: straight solotone, pixie and plunger.

Absolutely the cornet. You can find those old-fashioned straight mutes on Ebay for next to nothing. The pitch is awful but they sound perfect.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:

Good point. I wasn't thinking of the mutes. I have them all too.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the cornet I've been playing today. Very sweet sound. 1903 Conn "The Wonder."

[img]CIMG2764 by genevie7, on Flickr[/img]

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
This is the cornet I've been playing today. Very sweet sound. 1903 Conn "The Wonder."

[img]CIMG2764 by genevie7, on Flickr[/img]

AT one time Conn included a "practice" mute in the kit. It was all metal, rather like a "Pixie," and was recessed into the bell enough to use with a plunger. Clyde McCoy used just such a mute with his "plunger" aka ice-creme dish on the Sugar Blues recording. I repaired that very mute at the behest of his nephew John McCoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: