• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

R.I. 1 is too high

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can roll my lips in, and get a reasonably clear sound on high C and above (to an E or so), but I can barely play the G in the RI 1 exercise. Do I need to modify my lip position, or is it ok to modify the exercise and just play it higher?

Bonnie

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta start somewhere, Bonnie! But if you can't eventually descend lower, the exercises are of limited value, so go ahead and do the high C, B, Bd partial, but keep working on dropping the pitch (which may require lip position modification).

I just had a student 2 weeks ago who was unable to descend below top space E. When he went lower for a C, it was just air. At that point, I had him stop and blow that air over and over again (breathing thru the nose). Eventually, a very airy and shakey C emerged, as his lips subtly changed position. Once he figured out what he did, he simply repeated it over and over.

Today, he can fairly easily get to low C. Be persistent!

Jeff
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through a phase were it was dificult to play below high c. It is more important to get a good solid powerful g above staff... the range is the easy part... it's tying everything together and making it all smooth that is hard, and therefore that is what you need to focus your attention on.
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice!
Bonnie

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experimentation with persistance is the key. If you previously played with a flat chin, then the RI can be very hard; however, don't give up on it since that's where a ton of gain resides.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: