• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harmon Mute (Wah-Wah))for C Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Harmon Mute (Wah-Wah))for C Trumpet Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a Harmon for a C Trumpet?
Looking for one that fits a Bach 229 bell. The standard size is not as stable on my Cs and falls out easily.
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The material on the Soulo Harmon mute is great. Basically touch it to the bell and feels like it's sticking. No more fear of falling out! Your bell size or shape may not matter if you get a material that stays put.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to use the same mute in your C that you use in you Bb? I didn't use a Harmon-style mute very often with my Bach Chicago (229 bell). I think I used my Trumcor Zinger when necessary.

I just did a quick check on a few mutes with my Shires 419, which has a similar bell flare to the Bach 229. Emo (old and new styles), Harmon, Soulo, Trumcpr Zinger and Windy City all worked fine. That may give you some indication of what will work on your Bach.

Good luck!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently in my bag are a Bach Commercial 1B, Bach 37, Cornet and a Bach C 229.. I've had no issues, outside of the normal pitch problems and occassional falling out with any of my Harmons : Jo-Ral, Denis Wick, Soulo and K&M

The instruments are close enough in size that standard Harmon's work with your C trumpet.. With a D, Eb, or picc.. not so much
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Currently in my bag are a Bach Commercial 1B, Bach 37, Cornet and a Bach C 229.. I've had no issues, outside of the normal pitch problems and occassional falling out with any of my Harmons : Jo-Ral, Denis Wick, Soulo and K&M

The instruments are close enough in size that standard Harmon's work with your C trumpet.. With a D, Eb, or picc.. not so much

My Harmons fit better in my 239 that is marked 229. Your 229 might not really be a 229. Bach miss marks bells quite often.
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'll check into a Soulo and the TrumpCor Zinger.

I did find an Harmon that fit better. They aren't all exactly the same. I would still like one that fits even better.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to change/tweak the cork to optimize the fit for your bell.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I bought a H&B Aluminum "Swish-Wah" mute specifically for "Into the Woods" and my 229 bell Bach C trumpet.

It fit perfectly and the sound was equally as good. I got the one with foam and not cork.

https://humesandberg.com/home-page/products/shop/mutes/trumpet-mutes/stonelined-swish-wha-aluminum-trumpet-mute/

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim wrote:
zaferis wrote:

My Harmons fit better in my 239 that is marked 229. Your 229 might not really be a 229. Bach miss marks bells quite often.

Perpetuating a myth... miss marked often - I doubt.

Regardless, with Harmon mutes I'm more inclined to be concerned about it's tone, not how perfectly it fits in the bell. And then what are you calling "fit"? exaclty matching the shape of the bell or fallling out when you play? Two very different definitions.
BTW of all our mutes, the Harmon is mostlikely the one that falls out while you're playing.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Heim wrote:
zaferis wrote:

It is no myth. Have you seen this mentioned elsewhere?
I have seen many mismarked Bachs. Figure out a way to measure them and you might see what I am talking about.

I am concerned with it falling out because then there is no harmon tone and an annoying crashing to the floor sound in the middle of what is supposed to be a harmon passage.

I'll also look for a Swish-Wa Tim, thanks.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim wrote:
zaferis wrote:
Heim wrote:
zaferis wrote:

It is no myth. Have you seen this mentioned elsewhere?
I have seen many mismarked Bachs. Figure out a way to measure them and you might see what I am talking about.

I am concerned with it falling out because then there is no harmon tone and an annoying crashing to the floor sound in the middle of what is supposed to be a harmon passage.

I'll also look for a Swish-Wa Tim, thanks.

In my case this would be creating a myth because I never heard this before.

Heim, I am used to the old saw that one needs to try hundreds of Bachs to find a good one. Where originally one needed to try a few to find a good one.

Since you appear to have identified mis-marked bells firsthand, when you say many, can you put a number to the ones you have measured and identified? And perhaps the percentage of properly versus improperly marked?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: