• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tendinitis in right elbow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3bflat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Tendinitis in right elbow Reply with quote

I have developed tendinitis in my right elbow; either caused by trumpet playing or aggravated by trumpet playing. I have been to physical therapy and also to medical doctor who had me on long term NSAID and also gave me cortisone shot. The medical treatment relieved some of the tendinitis issues but not all. I am not looking for medical advise; I am wanting to know if any one has experienced this and what trumpet playing accommodations they made that might have eased the issue. The doctor has said rest but that is not really an option; I would rather play with the pain.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Tendinitis in right elbow Reply with quote

3bflat wrote:
I have developed tendinitis in my right elbow; either caused by trumpet playing or aggravated by trumpet playing. I have been to physical therapy and also to medical doctor who had me on long term NSAID and also gave me cortisone shot. The medical treatment relieved some of the tendinitis issues but not all. I am not looking for medical advise; I am wanting to know if any one has experienced this and what trumpet playing accommodations they made that might have eased the issue. The doctor has said rest but that is not really an option; I would rather play with the pain.

I had tendinitis in my right elbow - one of the (many) reasons being the lengthy sessions practising/holding the trumpet- I got real relief from a contraption that made possible support: https://www.ergobrass.com/ A bit expensive though - perhaps you could put together something resembling it!
Makes sense, many hours with static load...
Also - there are many kinds of alleviating methods, to practice on your own, said tendinitis - search the net!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play tennis and got tennis elbow. The only thing that relieved it is Active Release Therapy ART by a certified PT or chiro. I’d try to find someone nearby. The concept is that your muscles are bound up and pull excessively on the tendon. If you can loosen up your muscles and bring back flexibility, it will pull much less and bring relief. Tennis elbow is on the outside, but if it’s golfers’ elbow it’s on the inside and can be relieved the same way.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My elbow tendinitis went away completely when I started wearing compression sleeves during my workouts. They are miraculous and cheap.

Here's what I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2U27QD/

Good luck!
3bflat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips. I will start with the compression sleeves and chiro and then go to the support if needed
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet is one of the more ergonomic instruments to hold. I'm not saying physical problems can't happen, but it might be worth examining one's postures and positions for arms, hands, etc and tension.

The good news is that reducing tension and pressure is not only good for you physically, it's good for your playing and sound.

I'm not saying you're doing it wrong without see what you're doing, but it's worth considering.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: