• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece Placement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Bubbles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece Placement Reply with quote

When I got my braces on 3 years ago I stumbled on Lynn Nickelson's video talking about anchoring the mouthpiece to a tooth and playing off centered. This really helped because instead of sitting on 2 brackets and being in the middle it was resting on the wire making playing so much more comfortable. I have had my braces off for a long time now and my range is so much better off center like I can comfortably play a high E or F depending on the day and usually if it's a good day I'll end up being able to slur up to a Double B. Now centered I feel like my endurance is much better and lip slurs feel way more comfortable but I can't even play a high C. I'm not bottoming out because centered I put a lot less lip in the mouthpiece because what's known as Cupid's bow is in the mouthpiece not the fat part of the lip connected to the philtrum. I think it's best that I center my embouchure but I'm not sure how to get my lips to vibrate fast enough to play as high as I do off center. Any ideas?
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn's protocol doesn't dictate or even recommend playing off center. His advice is that you should find the spot where your teeth provide a natural anchor. For some, that may be perfectly centered, it's going to be different for every player based on their unique dental structure.

Assuming your overall playing (beyond the high-notes) is better off center, e.g. tone, flexibility, etc., why change it? There is no universal truth that says playing in the center is advantageous.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
Mr. Bubbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MF Fan"]Lynn's protocol doesn't dictate or even recommend playing off center. His advice is that you should find the spot where your teeth provide a natural anchor. For some, that may be perfectly centered, it's going to be different for every player based on their unique dental structure.

Assuming your overall playing (beyond the high-notes) is better off center, e.g. tone, flexibility, etc., why change it? There is no universal truth that says playing in the center is advantageous.[/quote]

My playing is all better in the center except I can't play higher than a high C. I also puff out my cheeks which is annoying but I think that's because my embouchure isn't as strong in the middle or something of that sort.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything is better somewhere, then you should stick with that. Get a private teacher to help you develop healthy habits and the range will come.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switch to a centered position seems to have seriously compromised your range. However, I also note your comment that your endurance and lip slurs are improved. That makes it very complicated to make a recommendation. So my comments are general comments.

There is nothing magic or required about playing centered. Lots of great players played off to one side. That doesn't mean that playing off center or playing on center is necessarily right or wrong for you. It's all about results.

Until you know WHY your range has diminished and WHY your endurance and lip slurring are improved it will be very difficult for you to determine whether off center or centered will be best for you in the long run.

I will say that most significant changes produce compromised results for awhile but sometimes ultimately result in significant overall improvement. Working with a competent teacher who can guide you and who can accurately evaluate existing results and predict likely future results would be a big help.
doitallman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly we are the only ones that know what works for us. No one can give you any real advice without seeing you and hearing you play.
I would suggest you try to switch to whatever works best. Forget range for now. Keep experimenting until you find the spot. Trumpet is a lifetime of work.
Bach 184 cornet
Bach C 229GH 25H
Nikon D300s
Wechter acoustic
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my teachers, I think it was Doc Reinhardt, used the analogy that a 'stool must have four legs' to be stable. Your mouthpiece should have a stable (four points) of your teeth as a foundation to rest on. Depending on your tooth structure and jaw position when playing, this could be anywhere.

It appears you are a young player. The best advice is to get a good teacher who will guide your development. Don't be surprised if the mouthpiece position shifts as you advance on the trumpet. If you don't force it into some contrived placement, and if you practice wisely, it will find its own spot.

Best wishes,
Alan
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bubbles wrote:
MF Fan wrote:
Lynn's protocol doesn't dictate or even recommend playing off center. His advice is that you should find the spot where your teeth provide a natural anchor. For some, that may be perfectly centered, it's going to be different for every player based on their unique dental structure.

Assuming your overall playing (beyond the high-notes) is better off center, e.g. tone, flexibility, etc., why change it? There is no universal truth that says playing in the center is advantageous.

My playing is all better in the center except I can't play higher than a high C. I also puff out my cheeks which is annoying but I think that's because my embouchure isn't as strong in the middle or something of that sort.

As others have mentioned, GET A PRIVATE TEACHER. Seriously, if you really want to improve, this is what you need, and it sounds to me like you REALLY need one.

Online forums like this one are great, I hope you decide to stick around here, but forums or social media are no substitute for a teacher.

Brad
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bubbles wrote:

--------------------------------------------
Puffing your cheeks is definitely a ' bad sign' - it might mean that your embouchure is weak, but more likely (my guess) that you are trying to 'squeeze out' high notes by whatever seems to work - even if the high notes are not particularly good or 'playable'.

Stop doing that! Work on your upper range using a 'good embouchure' and concentrating on the sound of the note, not just how high it is. Nobody wants high & ugly.

The changes to your teeth might require a different mouthpiece to fit properly.
If your current mpc doesn't seem to 'settle' onto your lips and teeth in a stable and comfortable position, then it's time to try some other mpc sizes. If a good centered mpc position cannot be obtained, then moving slightly off-center is OK.

To be a 'good player' you must have good sound, articulation, control, endurance in the entire 'written range' for the pieces you play. You need to find the mpc and embouchure that enables those things.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: