• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha YFH-731 valve assembly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boppin' bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Yamaha YFH-731 valve assembly Reply with quote

Why do all 3 valves not seat in their valve casings? I am not able to screw down the valve cap - doesn't even get close enough to the threads. From the bottom up the valve looks like this: 1) the piston, 2)valve guide, 3)spring, 4)screw - on cap assembly. However,the nylon valve guide sits on top of the casing above the threads. Isn't it supposed to be inside the casing in the keyway? This set up prevents the valve from moving. Before I get too far along with the"senioritis" thing, would someone be able to solve this?
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They’re bottom sprung valves. The spring goes under the piston
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a notch on the top of the valve that must line up with the value casing.
boppin' bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jazzvuu"]There is a notch on the top of the valve that must line up with the value casing.[/quote] Thanks for your reply. I probably didn't accurately describe that the glide cannot be inserted into the casing even when the tab is lined up with the keyway. It sits on top of the casing threads because of a larger O.D. Any attempt to push it in results in a distortion of the glide . One member suggested that the valve spring is under the piston - not on top. However,The same problem with seating the glide remains. I'm sure there is a simple answer to this and I appreciate your time. I will gladly accept any further info.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the valves ever fit? Or did you purchase it with the pistons out of the casings?

When I purchased new valve guides for my Yamaha flugel they too were too long to git in the groove. A tech at the shop where I purchased modified them filed them to fit. I don’t believe this is the way the correct guides should work, but they have been fine since then.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made me dig get out my 731. Not a bad thing...

It should be in order from top to bottom:

- Bottom Valve Cap
- Valve Spring
- Valve (mine is grey colored)
- Metal Valve Guide (Nickel?) is attached almost at the top and this very top part of the valve is brass colored.
- A thin cork ring/gasket thing around the valve stem
- A felt ring above the cork ring and around the valve stem
- Vavle Top Cap
- Valve Button

There are Yamaha bottom sprung baritones that have plastic valve guides that attach to the top of the valve. That's not what I have on my 731.

I would take a picture but don't have a image hosting account, so no where to put it. I used to have ... something but it stopped functioning for linking to my posts - which is all I used it for.

I suspect that it's simply assembled incorrectly. Do you have a knowledgeable trumpet colleague with a Yamaha flugel or one that's familiar with a Yamaha flugel? Perhaps a local shop can assist you (I know mine would).
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: