• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn scratched by a repair tech

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Horn scratched by a repair tech Reply with quote

I hope this post is in the right forum. To clarify, I'm not looking to bash this tech. I'm not looking to cry over spilled milk. And I'm not looking for advice on refurbishing a horn. I'm just trying to decide what would be a fair way to resolve this issue.

I recently refurbished my 1965 Strad. After this, I had a tech work on a mechanical issue. This tech had the horn for several weeks, and the mechanical issue is better. But the horn has new scratches on it, mostly on the side along the bell bow. The lacquer was 100% before the work. There are now moderate depth scratches along this area.

I want to be fair. The damage is mostly cosmetic. But the horn was cosmetically perfect before this. I'm going to bring the horn back to him tomorrow. Would you just let it go? Would you insist he pay to strip the horn, buff out the scratches, and re-lacquer? Would you ask for something in between?

Thanks,
Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't let it go but I also wouldn't fix it. Don't be accusatory or make assumptions about what could have happened but definitely make it clear that the scratches weren't there before.

I would ask the tech what they're willing to do to make it right. Given the vintage, no one expects it to look perfect and to relacquer would do more harm than good. Perhaps they'll give you a credit for future service or maintenance? They should want to build a relationship.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful reply Kevin. I like your advice on how to approach the tech.

I agree there are pros/cons to refurbishing a vintage horn. Just to clarify, I recently had the horn refurbished and relacquered. So it was in 100% like-new condition before this.

Mike
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can be tricky, obviously. I would certainly bring it to their attention, but personally I would absolutely NOT let the same shop work on it again. If it was my horn I would ask for a refund on at least a portion of what I was charged, probably not do anything regarding the scratches and take that shop off my list of where to have work done.

Brad
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
This can be tricky, obviously. I would certainly bring it to their attention, but personally I would absolutely NOT let the same shop work on it again. If it was my horn I would ask for a refund on at least a portion of what I was charged, probably not do anything regarding the scratches and take that shop off my list of where to have work done.

Brad

Thanks Brad. Very good advice. A refund for the work done might be the right compromise. And like you said, a related issue is what tech to use for future work.

Mike
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Thanks Brad. Very good advice. A refund for the work done might be the right compromise. And like you said, a related issue is what tech to use for future work.

Mike

Right. Here in Seattle we have, basically, two choices... there are a few others but good techs are in short supply. One shop in town lost one of my valve stems during service and replaced it with a raw brass one. Pointed it out but didn't apologize or offer to provide one that matched the other two. I think they're fully capable but they need to know that they cross a line sometimes.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However you decide to handle it, I suggest that you do it quickly. The longer you have it in your hands before returning it to the tech, the stronger the likelihood that he will contend "it was fine when it left here." Although if that is his reaction, I'm sure that would be the deciding factor in sending future work to a different tech.

Take care,
Marc Speed
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
Right. Here in Seattle we have, basically, two choices... there are a few others but good techs are in short supply. One shop in town lost one of my valve stems during service and replaced it with a raw brass one. Pointed it out but didn't apologize or offer to provide one that matched the other two. I think they're fully capable but they need to know that they cross a line sometimes.

I hear you. This tech came highly recommended. But of course, mistakes happen.

Mike
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed wrote:
However you decide to handle it, I suggest that you do it quickly. The longer you have it in your hands before returning it to the tech, the stronger the likelihood that he will contend "it was fine when it left here."

Absolutely. Thanks!

Mike
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, I had a similar experience years ago with a local tech on a vintage Schilke I had some years ago. It ended up needing a new leadpipe, because it got dented while in the shop. The local mainly does work on school horns so from then on my horns go to Osmun. Yes, I pay more and there is shipping involved and I will have to use my backup horn for a couple weeks. But, I know things will be done right. I always ask what can you do to make the horn better? I recently bought a Bach 239 C that had issues (which is why I got it inexpensively). I sent it to Osmun to have Jim Becker evaluate the horn. A couple of weeks later I got back a great playing, looking and very usable C trumpet. Yes, the shipping and their service costs more than the local tech, but I know the instrument will get the best treatment, care, and will be properly repaired or improved by the best in the business. And, I keep going back. Every horn I have sent there comes back better.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes this difficult is that it calls for a confrontation and, clearly, the OP is concerned about the outcome. If the tech damaged the horn then anything short of making the OP whole is a "good compromise" only for the tech.

Assuming the tech takes responsibility there are only two basic remedies: Money (either cash now or credit against future services) or restoring the horn to its former condition at the tech's expense.

The disturbing part of this is that the tech didn't speak up when the horn was delivered. So the implication is that the tech doesn't want to admit that he caused the damage or take any responsibility to make the OP whole.

I have a similar situation. I have a sports car I rarely drive. It is not a high value car anymore (it's a 2004 model) but it is in pristine condition. I had a mechanical problem repaired at the dealership for this make of car. When I picked it up after the repair was completed it had a paint chip and scrape in the driver's door where someone had opened a door into it. It cannot be buffed out. The dealership agreed that the damage occurred while the car was in their possession. They gave me a choice of either receiving credit against future services or having the door repainted.

I'm electing to have the door repainted even though, in the long run, that choice probably won't result in the car being worth any more than it was before the damage occurred. The issue for me is pride of ownership. I was very proud of the pristine condition of the car. I value that more than any credit against future services.

What's more valuable to the OP? Is it pride of ownership of a fully refurbished and pristine horn or is it money now or is it credit against future services?

Mistakes happen but when we make a mistake we need to own that mistake. To me, the biggest problem so far is that the tech didn't step up and own the mistake. That's the part of this that would discourage me from taking anything to him in the future and if the OP isn't taking him anything in the future then the credit against future services isn't worth anything.

I vote for the tech paying to fully restore the damage he did.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
TrumpetMD wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Mike

Which brings up a valid problem: MANY of us live in areas, and not just rural areas but major cities (in my case, Houston) where truly expert techs just don’t. Live. 😉

It can be pricey, time consuming and not without risks to ship a horn out for repairs or restoration, but that’s what I usually end up doing.

Brad
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
The local mainly does work on school horns so from then on my horns go to Osmun.

Thanks Dave. I'm running out of local options here. For future issues, it looks like shipping the horn to right tech is the better option.

Mike
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
What makes this difficult is that it calls for a confrontation and, clearly, the OP is concerned about the outcome. If the tech damaged the horn then anything short of making the OP whole is a "good compromise" only for the tech.

Assuming the tech takes responsibility there are only two basic remedies: Money (either cash now or credit against future services) or restoring the horn to its former condition at the tech's expense.

The disturbing part of this is that the tech didn't speak up when the horn was delivered. So the implication is that the tech doesn't want to admit that he caused the damage or take any responsibility to make the OP whole.

I have a similar situation. I have a sports car I rarely drive. It is not a high value car anymore (it's a 2004 model) but it is in pristine condition. I had a mechanical problem repaired at the dealership for this make of car. When I picked it up after the repair was completed it had a paint chip and scrape in the driver's door where someone had opened a door into it. It cannot be buffed out. The dealership agreed that the damage occurred while the car was in their possession. They gave me a choice of either receiving credit against future services or having the door repainted.

I'm electing to have the door repainted even though, in the long run, that choice probably won't result in the car being worth any more than it was before the damage occurred. The issue for me is pride of ownership. I was very proud of the pristine condition of the car. I value that more than any credit against future services.

What's more valuable to the OP? Is it pride of ownership of a fully refurbished and pristine horn or is it money now or is it credit against future services?

Mistakes happen but when we make a mistake we need to own that mistake. To me, the biggest problem so far is that the tech didn't step up and own the mistake. That's the part of this that would discourage me from taking anything to him in the future and if the OP isn't taking him anything in the future then the credit against future services isn't worth anything.

Thanks for the great reply, HERMOKIWI.

Yes, what makes this difficult is that it calls for a confrontation.

Regarding your statement that he should have seen the damage, I agree. But I suspect he works on a lot of horns that have normal scuffs and scrapes. So the fact that he occasionally adds a scrape here-and-there is probably something he doesn't look for. But I'm speculating.

And yes, there is a "pride of ownership" issue. It's a personal choice, I know. For example, my main horn, my '74 Strad, was refurbished in 2012 by Kanstul. (I miss them. They restored 3 horns for me.). Even though I play 50 gigs a year with that horn, the horn looks as good as the day I got it back from the shop.

I think credit against future work could be reasonable. But that assumes I'll use them again. I haven't decided on that yet.

Mike
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hangin's too good for im "

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows the advice about taking a used car to a mechanic before buying it. Or taking pictures of the rental apartment on move in and move out.

I don’t know why I feel silly asking to take a used car to a mechanic, but I always do. Even though we ended up finding major deal breakers on three out of four cars when I recently bought a car for my son.

I have similar advice here. Take many pictures of your horn before taking it in for repair or loaning it out. Then you have evidence to back up your side of the story when something like this happens. With cell phones this is quick and easy now.

I wish the OP the best.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I have similar advice here. Take many pictures of your horn before taking it in for repair or loaning it out. Then you have evidence to back up your side of the story when something like this happens. With cell phones this is quick and easy now.

I wish the OP the best.

Lesson learned. Very good advice.

I've started taking pictures of horns (and the packaging use), before I ship a horn to someone. I need to do the same before taking a horn in for service. It seems like over-kill ... until something happens.

Mike
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

I wish the OP the best.

Lesson learned. Very good advice.

I've started taking pictures of horns (and the packaging use), before I ship a horn to someone. I need to do the same before taking a horn in for service. It seems like over-kill ... until something happens.

Mike

Yeah I would feel silly taking pictures of my horn before taking my horn to one of TH’s tame techs I use. But if one thinks about it, eliminating debate with a friend is probably a good thing.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur w/the poster who advised going back and pointing out the scratches that weren't there before, in a non-confrontational way. But I also agree that the horn should not be refinished, as it will be a large job that may or may not come out as well as it is now.
I would want someone to point something out like that to me as a repairman, as difficult as it is to face one's mistakes. I've made plenty of them over my career, and sometimes things get overlooked.
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

On the whole, I agree with this assessment. As the owner of vintage horns and vintage cars, I understand pride of ownership. If my was door was chipped at the dealership while the car was being serviced, I would certainly insist that the dealership restore the door to its original condition. And if the dealership did not have its own body shop or was using what I would consider a sub par body shop, I would insist they use a shop of my choosing and I would sooner take them to small claims court than have them do a sub par repair.

With a vintage trumpet, the situation is a bit different. Cosmetically refurbishing a horn is different that a car door. The horn is considerable more fragile, subject to greater trauma when being worked on, and the idea of stripping and re-applying lacquer can result in changing the way the horn sounds or plays. Any time a horn is worked on, fundamental changes can occur. Not so much with a car door.

I was in a similar situation. I had a very rare New York Bach refurbished by a well known repairman. The work was flawless. Years later, I noticed that the lacquer was showing hairline cracks all over the horn. I brought it back to the original repairman, who identified the problem as being defective lacquer. He offered to re-do the horn at no charge. I chose to leave the horn as is. I felt it was better to live with the horn being not cosmetically perfect rather than run the risk of changing the horn's playability by subjecting it to a complete re-lacquer.

As far as the OP's situation, I would bring the horn back ASAP to the tech, show them the damage and ask for a refund of the original repair cost or the cost of a lacquer repair, which ever is less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: