• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Alto/Tenor Horn - Anyone play it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Alto/Tenor Horn - Anyone play it? Reply with quote

Am looking at picking up the Alto/Tenor horn to give me something different to practice when I get bored of the Trumpet.

Anyone else play one?

I have a pretty pipsqueak budget, so I was looking at possibly one of the Thomann ones, as I've heard that thomann's instruments are toooo bad.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/thomann_ah_403_l_altohorn.htm

Anyone tried one?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answering your question . . yes. I have played Alto Horn. Played it about two years in a German village band. Lot of fun. I had no problems and seldom practiced.

Regarding a horn's brand, I'm afraid I can't help you there. I bought my alto in East Germany (Berlin). It was likely made in Markneunkirchen, GE and yours is likely Chinese, but it's not a given that it is a bad horn.

It has good reviews but who knows the sources? The seller has a reasonable return policy so it might be a safe try-out. Of course you realise that you may have to pay return postage, but if you've got the coin, I'd give it a try.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Wessex Tubas Reply with quote

Also look at the Wessex Tubas website. Their instruments probably are Chinese stencils, but I have not heard nor read anything bad about their low brasses.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I have been looking at picking up an Alto Horn, too, just for fun. I was contemplating to ask if there are any Alto Horn forums similar to TH. I've been looking at some of the Schiller alto's from Jim Laabs or even from Dillon Music.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenor horns are like trumpets, you can buy cheap or you can buy good. Get a known make Yamaha or Besson. The lower range in those brands are still decent instruments. I played solo horn in a Brass Band for years and found the Besson Sovereign to be very good, before buying the first Yamaha Neo sold in Europe.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Al's Reply with quote

DJtpt31 wrote:
Interesting. I have been looking at picking up an Alto Horn, too, just for fun. I was contemplating to ask if there are any Alto Horn forums similar to TH. I've been looking at some of the Schiller alto's from Jim Laabs or even from Dillon Music.

Al's Middle Brass Pages is the place to go for information on tenor horn. The Mellocast also may have useful information.
rhodge49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: tenor horn Reply with quote

I have a tenor horn by York and Sons made in 1918. Great shape, plays well, and for sale if you're interested.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a beautiful 1949 King bell-front alto horn, in satin silver with a gold-wash inner bell. It has slides for F and Eb (lines scribed on the inner slide tubes suggest where to pull them for Eb tuning), the original case (in decent shape), the original lyre, and came with the original mouthpiece (which was stolen when I loaned it out at a Tuba Christmas event years ago).

It is not a multi-key instrument that plays better in one key than the other: It plays with equally-adventurous intonation in both F and Eb. That said, it has a pleasant sound and is kind of fun to wrestle with when trying to cover the horn parts in "Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" with the local Beatles re-creation group.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: