• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Bell Not Perfectly Round

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
time_is_mula

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Trumpet Bell Not Perfectly Round Reply with quote

I have three trumpets now. I won’t name the brand out of respect but they are all handmade in the USA from a known manufacturer in the Midwest. Two of the trumpets have 1-piece bells and the other has a 2-piece bell. All three are brand new and recently bought. I noticed that both trumpets with the 1-piece bell have bells that are not perfectly round. E.g., if you put the rim onto a piece of paper and trace the circle of the rim, it’s not perfectly round. It’s a little bit oblong. The oblong part on both horns is where the bell seam is located. It’s almost like a small flat section in the diameter. The rim/bead looks perfectly round to the naked eye but when you run your fingers in a circular motion around the rim and/or trace the rim on a piece of paper it’s not perfectly round. The trumpet with the 2-piece bell has a perfectly round rim. My guess is that it’s probably due to its construction. It’s not entirely hand spun so the rim section can be perfected.

Is this normal and typical of handmade 1-piece bells? Should I be worried? Am I simply finding fault where there is none? Any feedback from other trumpeters would be greatly appreciated.
RL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say....don't worry at all...
You noticed small imperfections which don't matter...the more you're meassuring the more you'll find...go play them instead...
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s a saying among people who are wristwatch enthusiasts: magnifying glasses are the number one cause of watch imperfections....or something like that.

I used to obsess over similar minutiae, IMO, unless a horn (or anything else) has an imperfection that affects how it plays, fuhgetabowdit.😉

Brad
time_is_mula

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input. However, is this normal with 1-piece bells? Have other trumpeters experienced this as well?
trumpetmandan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

time_is_mula wrote:
is this normal with 1-piece bells? Have other trumpeters experienced this as well?

What you describe is not uncommon. If it were visible to the naked eye, I'd say you'd be right to take issue with it. Since you say it's not visibly noticeable, chalk it up to being part of your horn's "handmade charm."
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Trumpet bell Reply with quote

Hello all,
I would call the manufacturer and ask them about this imperfection.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet bell Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,

Depending on the manufacturer that might be difficult. My guess is starting with a shop that sells them might be more productive depending on who made them.

That said, if it is Getzen you can PM Adam or Brett Getzen who are members here.
time_is_mula

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet bell Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Hello all,

Depending on the manufacturer that might be difficult. My guess is starting with a shop that sells them might be more productive depending on who made them.

That said, if it is Getzen you can PM Adam or Brett Getzen who are members here.

I bought all 3 trumpets from reputable online dealers who inspect the horns prior to shipping. No damage at all, and to be honest, it’s not something one should inspect/look for. The oblong effect is in the same place as the bell seam on both horns with the 1-piece bell. Again hardly noticeable unless you run your fingers around the entire circle of the rim. Every other part of the bell bead/rim is radial. I’m starting to think that this is natural or an acceptable by product of the manufacturing process of hand spun 1-piece bells. I’ve owned many horns in the past and it was not something that I ever looked for. However, one day I started to run my fingers around the bell rim. By doing so, I noticed that this issue was on many of the horns that I owned including the 2 new ones that I have now.

The standard answer from manufactures would be to send in the horn for inspection. I’m not going to go that far, but I wanted to know from others if this was something normal or acceptable with handmade, hand spun 1-piece bells.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet bell Reply with quote

time_is_mula wrote:

I bought all 3 trumpets from reputable online dealers who inspect the horns prior to shipping. No damage at all, and to be honest, it’s not something one should inspect/look for.

This and "handmade" really give you the answer. It may be the mandril; it may be the handiwork. It may be a characteristic that accidentally developed for those particular trumpets and was kept because that particular iteration of the design sounded better. If the horns play as they should and it is not visible, no need to worry. Is it normal? Who knows. You would only be able to tell by comparing a bunch of brand new horns.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Trumpet bell not perfectly round Reply with quote

Hello all,
Still wondering...found a canister in the cupboard that had a slightly bigger 5" ID. My Schilke Bb's and C's fit as perfectly inside the bead as I could tell. The earlier Bb and C had 5" beads, while the newer had 4 7/8" beads. they all were consistent measures. The newer horns I think are side seamed, the older, I don't really know.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet bell not perfectly round Reply with quote

Hello all,
Still wondering...found a canister in the cupboard that had a slightly bigger 5" ID. My Schilke Bb's and C's fit as perfectly inside the bead as I could tell. The earlier Bb and C had 5" beads, while the newer had 4 7/8" beads. they all were consistent measures. The newer horns I think are side seamed, the older, I don't really know.

So you are telling us the food industry has the same issue with making round cans?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet bell not perfectly round Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Hello all,

So you are telling us the food industry has the same issue with making round cans?

After thinking about this trumpet manufacturers should probably consult with the coca-cola company. After all they have been producing cans of high C flawlessly for years.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Bell Not Perfectly Round Reply with quote

time_is_mula wrote:
... I noticed that both trumpets with the 1-piece bell have bells that are not perfectly round. E.g., if you put the rim onto a piece of paper and trace the circle of the rim, it’s not perfectly round. It’s a little bit oblong. The oblong part on both horns is where the bell seam is located. It’s almost like a small flat section in the diameter. The rim/bead looks perfectly round to the naked eye but when you run your fingers in a circular motion around the rim and/or trace the rim on a piece of paper it’s not perfectly round.
Is this normal and typical of handmade 1-piece bells? Should I be worried? Am I simply finding fault where there is none? Any feedback from other trumpeters would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, bell beads come in all sorts of shapes, and are hit and damaged sometimes, and the horn still plays fine.
https://yourbrass.com/
time_is_mula

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input. All jokes aside, it would be interesting to hear from brass technicians. After all, I have two brand new trumpets from the same manufacturer. Bought at different times from different online retailers, and the issue is more or less the same. Every other part of the horns look/feel flawless. If a manufacturer were to admit this issue as a by product of handmade hand spun 1-piece bells then people would ‘riot’ and ask for refunds. Not to mention that it would hurt their reputation.

The comment about the bell bead is interesting because that is an additional step in the manufacturing process and that could be the reason why the overall bell rim is a little bit oblong. Again, it’s oblong right at the bell seam area.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

time_is_mula wrote:
Thank you all for your input. All jokes aside, it would be interesting to hear from brass technicians. After all, I have two brand new trumpets from the same manufacturer. Bought at different times from different online retailers, and the issue is more or less the same. Every other part of the horns look/feel flawless. If a manufacturer were to admit this issue as a by product of handmade hand spun 1-piece bells then people would ‘riot’ and ask for refunds. Not to mention that it would hurt their reputation.

The comment about the bell bead is interesting because that is an additional step in the manufacturing process and that could be the reason why the overall bell rim is a little bit oblong. Again, it’s oblong right at the bell seam area.

Not sure if you know, tu YourBrass is a technician.
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're concerned that a hand made bell is not perfectly round? It's the sound that matters most. Think about the process in making a fine hand hammered and formed bell. After all the hand work is complete, including in many cases adding the rim wire, the bell is annealed to modify its hardness and tone. That means it is heated up to a high temperature and cooled back down. That process can warp metal or cause it to change shape. If to the eye it looks round then it's round enough for music. Machine made and skipping the last part of the process for the sake of productivity and to meet some manufacturing criteria is anathema to hand craftsmanship. Other than "checking a box" it does not matter.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a bell bead is not round and is brand new it is a manufacturing error and defect. I have recently seen some new horns that the bell bead was not round and some even looked a bit tear dropped in shape from where the bead wire popped in the spinning process and the bell was finished when should have been scrapped. Though the horns played fine I personally would not want a horn with non round bell flare.

No one can say if the horn will play better with a different bell from the same maker or if you sent it to the maker or a technician the horn would make it play "better". If you are happy with the horn then do not worry and enjoy it for the years that you have it. If you are not happy contact the seller or maker and have a conversation with them about your concerns and let them take it from there.
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process of spinning the bell and installing the rim wire comes at the end of processing, after any annealing (as that would obliterate the solder in the rim among other negative effects), so it should be round. An uneven mandrel would chatter when working the bell, and that would have a myriad of undesirable consequences. As Josh points out, out of round is a defect on any bell spun on a lathe for final taper and rim formation.

However, so it is a defect, so what? The question is does it appear structurally sound and if so, how does it play? If you like the way it plays and it is not going to fracture or otherwise fail, don't mess with success.

Robb Stewart's experiments with severely elliptical bell flares are quite fascinating - highly directional and still magnificent sounding. If it works for you, why worry?

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
time_is_mula

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryjamesworstnightmare wrote:
So you're concerned that a hand made bell is not perfectly round? It's the sound that matters most. Think about the process in making a fine hand hammered and formed bell. After all the hand work is complete, including in many cases adding the rim wire, the bell is annealed to modify its hardness and tone. That means it is heated up to a high temperature and cooled back down. That process can warp metal or cause it to change shape. If to the eye it looks round then it's round enough for music. Machine made and skipping the last part of the process for the sake of productivity and to meet some manufacturing criteria is anathema to hand craftsmanship. Other than "checking a box" it does not matter.

Thank you. This sheds some light into the issue, and yes, I still see it as an issue. To put it mildly, a brand new horn that cost nearly $3K should not have these type of ‘imperfections’ or whatever we want to call it. In my case, two from the same manufacturer. The horn does not sound bad, but it’s the attention to detail in the craftsmanship that is lacking. That is probably the most frustrating part to me.

To have a rim/bell that is not perfectly round and oblong near the bell seam of the 1-piece bell is troubling because that might mean that it’s an acceptable defect if you will from the manufacturer. Even if it’s handmade/handcrafted.

Could one have this ‘fixed’/altered to make it perfectly round again or should one just leave it as is?
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

time_is_mula wrote:
The horn does not sound bad, but it’s the attention to detail in the craftsmanship that is lacking. That is probably the most frustrating part to me.

To have a rim/bell that is not perfectly round and oblong near the bell seam of the 1-piece bell is troubling because that might mean that it’s an acceptable defect if you will from the manufacturer. Even if it’s handmade/handcrafted.

Could one have this ‘fixed’/altered to make it perfectly round again or should one just leave it as is?

The fix is getting a new bell that is made without defect. Unfortunately the lack of detail is what it is and that the maker should not have let something like that out the door. Just because it is advertised as "hand made" or "American made" does not make it a better product. Even a $200 Chinese junk trumpets have a round bell bead and those are hand made too.
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: