• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

neck tension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: neck tension Reply with quote

I have recently become aware of a lot of tension in the back of my neck when blowing. Does this tension support the chops or is it indeed a hinderane? I find it very hard to play loud without the tension occuring, does anyone have any ideas for reducing this tension?
Comno6
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think this is a problem most trumpet players come along. Naturally after playing for a while, the body starts to tense up. When the body does this, this starts to restrict airflor. This is obviously not good. Well, I think that this can severly affect the playing. When you feel you are starting to do this, stop playing for a second, and take a couple relaxing breaths and let your neck shoulders relax.

When you are about to start playing again, just put the horn back to your mouth KEEPING YOUR SHOULDER RELAXED!! Then calmly take a big breath and start playing, forcing yourself to stay relaxed.

If I stay relaxed, it really helps my range. I mean it could mean the difference of hitting a note or not. Not only that, but you allow the air to move more freely, giving you more volume.

Give it a try.

Chris

If you Practice..... You can get better...

YES I KNOW.. Profound!!
trpt.hick
Rafael MĂ©ndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, this is NOT a very common problem. I doubt that it has anything to do with blowing the horn, regardless of embouchure or method.

I suspect poor head alignment. Are you tilting your head down? If so, simply stop doing that. If not, best to talk to a chiropractor about it.

Dave Hickman
Cavaillé

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that tension of the neck is a very common problem. Shortening of the neck muscles causes tension in most other groups of muscles especially the shoulders and the lower back.
Passing more than 3 years of working with Alexander technique I can tell you that the head neck control is the crucial item of "primary control" as F.M. Alexander called it. Tension of the neck is part of a habit called "startle pattern", the technique tells you how to get rid of this pattern.
Playing with a good primary control improves all aspects of my playing, my quality of sound is a mirror of my primary control.
For more information get some lessons in Alexander technique or have a look at this book "The Alexander Technique for Musicians" by Kleinman and Buckoke, very readable paperback with interesting case studies of musicians.
Best regards, Thomas
Rowan33

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: neck tension Reply with quote

tootin wrote:
I have recently become aware of a lot of tension in the back of my neck when blowing. Does this tension support the chops or is it indeed a hinderane? I find it very hard to play loud without the tension occuring, does anyone have any ideas for reducing this tension?

I find it helpful to take a break and take some slow control breaths and singing scales. Hope this helps!
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
To me, this is NOT a very common problem. I doubt that it has anything to do with blowing the horn, regardless of embouchure or method.

I suspect poor head alignment. Are you tilting your head down? If so, simply stop doing that. If not, best to talk to a chiropractor about it.

Dave Hickman

Never encountered it in my 50 years of playing.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think tension/pressure is a culprit. I've only gotten it when playing very long sessions, when starting on piccolo, or when using a lot of pressure.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you concentrate on good posture, and avoid using high mouthpiece pressure to extend your upper range. Also, daily do some easy neck stretches, head rolls, turns, bends, etc. - nothing extreme or trying force more movement, just within your limits.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet the original poster is no longer playing.
This is a 16 year old post.
R. Tomasek
FrankM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Yeh! Thanks for that vindabona. I just about to make a carefully considered reply.
Besson Meha Bb Tpt
Selmer 99 Radial
Conn Connstelation 36B
Conn Connstelation 28A
B&H Sovereign Cornet
Yamaha 635T Flugel Horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: