• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dupuytren's Contracture

View previous topic :: View next topic  
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Dupuytren's Contracture Reply with quote

My pinky finger on my right hand is bent about 25° at the middle knuckle. I talked to a tele-doctor and he thought it most likely a Dupuytren's Contracture. Mayo Clinic says:
Quote:
Contracture Is a hand deformity that usually develops over years. The condition affects a layer of tissue that lies under the skin of your palm. Knots of tissue form under the skin — eventually creating a thick cord that can pull one or more fingers into a bent position. The affected fingers can't be straightened completely, which can complicate everyday activities such as placing your hands in your pockets, putting on gloves or shaking hands. Dupuytren's contracture mainly affects the two fingers farthest from the thumb, and occurs most often in older men of Northern European descent. A number of treatments are available to slow the progression of Dupuytren's contracture and relieve symptoms.

Anyone have any experience with it? Mine was sudden two weeks ago and only the pinky. No pain or discomfort. I am a 70 year old in good to very good shape.

1963 Connstellation
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it happened quickly over just a few weeks, I would also consider some 'nerve related' cause.
Try to recall if you had been doing any non-usual activities with that hand - pruning, pliers, screwdriver, handsaw, etc. Maybe even how your hand is placed while sleeping, watching TV, etc. Did you get a new pillow or chair, etc. different vehicle?

I usually get hand cramps when I over-do such activities, but not the symptom you mentioned.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same on my left pinky. I'm 70 as well; the condition popped up a year or so ago. I showed it to a hand doctor that I was seeing for another condition and he confirmed the diagnosis. He said there was no reason to try to do anything with it unless it progressed.

There's no discomfort and I still have enough movement to operate my third valve slides (ring finger won't move independently and the Vulcan grip doesn't work for me), so I'll let it be.
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the condition in both hands, left started to develop when in my 60s, now at 82 my right is developing, it is a genetic condition, my father and 2 great uncles had it, I have been told that it was brought into England by the Vikings.

Only causes minor discomfort, cannot now use pinky hook on trumpet, my new one I am waiting on will not have one. I hold the trumpet with my index and ring fingers around the bottom of the third valve casing and operate the slide with my first finger.

A Hand surgeon told me that he could fix the right hand completely but could only the the left halfway back, I decided to do nothing about it as there is a lengthy recovery period after the operation where the tendon has a Z shaped cut in it, lengthened and rejoined.

Regards, Stuart.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father had a pretty serious case of this. He was forced to have surgery several times. As I recall, the surgery involved scraping out deposits. The first couple of times he had the surgery, his fingers went from being about half curled to fully open again. Each time the condition slowly returned. It primarily affected his middle and ring fingers. As scar tissue built up from the surgeries, they became less effective.
I have never heard of a sudden onset of this. I would seek another opinion.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it in both hands, is genetic, my dad, and granddad, and greatgranddad had it as well.

It's an Irish thing, and a love of the fruit of the bog exacerbates it.

For some reason, my insurance exempts it from treatment, my dad had shots into the constricted tissue for it and at some point, said his doctor just grabbed his palms in one hand, his fingers in another, and bent them back, said he could feel and hear the tendons separate.

He got another 11 years on the golf course, when before he couldn't hold a club for several years.

It is a big deal for me, as the 3rd finger on my right hand is permanently bent.

I play 3rd part quite a bit, in a band where we are in a buttload of sharps most of the time, my compensating mechanism is my pinkie is out of the octave key, and have to slightly twist my wrist for anything that involves the 3rd valve.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: