• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Plunger mute?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I switched to the Jo-Ral aluminum plunger mute several years ago and would never go back to a rubber plumber's plunger. The Jo-Ral is lightweight, extremely easy to handle and produces the same sound as my rubber plumber's plunger produced. Here's a link:

http://www.wwbw.com/Jo-Ral-TPT-6-Aluminum-Trumpet-Plunger-Mute-471839-i1417794.wwbw

A few other companies make a similar thing, H&B, Wick, Harmon...

I had the H&B version and it works well but ultimately I elected to give that to my niece and use the rubber H&B because I could hold it better.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
biesemeier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by biesemeier on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:19 am; edited 11 times in total
NMex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1277208&cp=2568443.2568452.2631224.2631251

That is all.

Regards,

Mario
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I don't know how others hold plunger mutes, but a lot of actual trumpet plunger mutes rather than sink plungers, appear to have a handle on the bottom. I've always used the Denis Wick plunger, which has a flat bottom and cup it in the palm of my left hand. Seems to work well for me, considering that I am female, fairly small and have fairly short arms, as it effectively reduced the length of the mute.

I know that a lot of people don't like the Denis Wick plunger, but I've had good results with mine, and am happy with it.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plunger that you use without a pixie mute must have a hole to avoid intonation problems , this is a very good video that explains how the plungers works .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0w_qeTCqiw

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi giakara

Thank you very much. Very interesting. When I use my Denis Wick plunger, without a hole, I don't close it fully the whole way round. I'm obviously not playing at the moment, and have never taken much notice how I use a plunger, but there is a plastic rim around the top, and I have the mute at an angle, so that there is a gap between the rim and the bell at one location. Maybe this compensates for the lack of a hole, I don't know, only that I quickly realised that full closing the mute against the bell, doesn't give good results.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMex wrote:
This.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1277208&cp=2568443.2568452.2631224.2631251

That is all.

Regards,

Mario

These come in multiple colors and small and large sizes. They work better with a hole cut or drilled through the center I found the best way to cut the hole is with a large leather punch. They also don't dry out and crack like the old terra cotta ones. When my kid was in high school competing in the Essentially Ellington Competition, each one of the trumpet players had one of these in a different color. The trumpet section "rainbow" proved to be quite a hit.
edisonia

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hirschman Mutes "KR Indigo" Plunger Mute is the culmination of a decades-long quest for the best sounding, BY FAR most in tune, easiest to play, most comfortable to hold, most expressive trumpet plunger that money can buy.

"KR" are the initials of Kenny Rampton, world-renowned trumpet player and long-standing member of the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra under the direction of Wynton Marsalis. Kenny co-designed this plunger with Hirschman Mutes, incorporating feedback from some of today's top trumpet players.

https://artofsoundmusic.com/other/mutes/hirschman-mutes-kr-indigo-trumpet-plunger-mute
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edisonia wrote:
The Hirschman Mutes "KR Indigo" Plunger Mute is the culmination of a decades-long quest for the best sounding, BY FAR most in tune, easiest to play, most comfortable to hold, most expressive trumpet plunger that money can buy.

"KR" are the initials of Kenny Rampton, world-renowned trumpet player and long-standing member of the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra under the direction of Wynton Marsalis. Kenny co-designed this plunger with Hirschman Mutes, incorporating feedback from some of today's top trumpet players.

https://artofsoundmusic.com/other/mutes/hirschman-mutes-kr-indigo-trumpet-plunger-mute

If I'm not mistaken this is the plunger Thomas Gansch was raving about at his weekly Gansch@Home concert this past Saturday. By the way, these hour-long concerts are not to be missed!
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Dink

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: KR plunger mute Reply with quote

The KR Indigo Max can be played with a straight mute. The " Kenny Penny" feature lets you adjust the size of the vent hole. It sounds great. I have one on order. Cost is 40.01
Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
LeBlanc Bobby Harriott Model
My. Vernon Bach Mercury Model
topazann

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the same Humes & Berg Stonelined "Trixie" plunger mute for 9 years or so. SKU 113. The rubber is still pliable and hasn't dried out like every hardware store plunger I bought during my initial search. Also, the ring handle has been invaluable for keeping the mute at the ready for songs where I switch back and forth from muted to open.
regards, onplanners

Last edited by topazann on Sun May 24, 2020 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutec MHT160 Rubber Trumpet Plunger Mute

For me this has the best all-round sound and use, especially with my Bach Commercial Trumpet (the bell is slightly larger). Big enough and deep enough to get a great "cupped" tone, a small vent built in, and the nub is designed for easy grip-easier to control.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/drain-cleaning-tools/plumbing-snakes-augers/plumb-works-reg-sink-plunger/sp-12307/p-1444421417619-c-8514.htm

I use this one. 4", Black - I cut a hole through were the stick would go. Works great as far as plungers go.

When I was in college a few colleagues had actual plunger mutes. I tried them and thought my sink plunger worked at least 90% as well. I lost my original some years ago, and bought the one linked above last year. It works great and is black (and costs less about 10% of actual mute).

I thought about the Mutec as I could get one for not too much more, but I don't think I'll bother.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/drain-cleaning-tools/plumbing-snakes-augers/plumb-works-reg-sink-plunger/sp-12307/p-1444421417619-c-8514.htm

I use this one. 4", Black - I cut a hole through were the stick would go. Works great as far as plungers go.

When I was in college a few colleagues had actual plunger mutes. I tried them and thought my sink plunger worked at least 90% as well. I lost my original some years ago, and bought the one linked above last year. It works great and is black (and costs less about 10% of actual mute).

I thought about the Mutec as I could get one for not too much more, but I don't think I'll bother.

Lovely item, particularly the $ 0.22 mail-in rebate. How much is the postal stamp?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: