• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Upgrade to intermediate or wait for used professional?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikepodorski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Upgrade to intermediate or wait for used professional? Reply with quote

I'm a Craigslist/ Facebook Marketplace junkie, I'm impatient, and I like collecting. Needess to say, the cards are stacked against me on this one. I see decent intermediate trumpets come up from time to time for cheap, mostly parents that got taken for an overpriced trumpet from our local band music store that just sits now. I currently have a Jean Paul TR430 (which plays fantastic) and a Holton T602. My original thought was to play these until I got to a point where I was good enough to buy a used professional trumpet. Is it worth the money to upgrade in between, or to just save my money?

Also, Does anyone "flip" trumpets? Buy good deals and fix/resell for profit?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm bad at the flipping, because I don't sell stuff.

What's a "decent" intermediate? That would be my question. I'd say a Getzen Capri (esp the cornet) or better (ie Eterna or some other models), or a Yamaha Allegro. Maybe, I'm missing one...

Lots of "intermediate" horns are dressed up student horns. The Allegro is a lot like my old 6335, which was Yamaha's pro model in the late 80's - early 90's, so that's a good one that I've played and liked. There's several other makes that make intermediates I don't care much for.

A good used professional horn can be found at a good price if patient. I don't know what the current market is, but I bought my Selmer Radial and Benge for less than $400 each between 8-10 years ago.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has different ideas what "intermediate" means, and I think you will find a fair number of people who feel a solid T-602 plays as well or better than a lot of new "intermediate" models (not all, again, it depends what you call "intermediate".

Personally, I think you should upgrade when you find a horn that is an upgrade. That either means having access to try, or going through the trouble of buying and selling. I know, a pain either way, but really you will know better than any of us what is an "upgrade" for your situation.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, Intermediate or Step Up trumpets are often not enough better than student trumpets to justify the expense. There are exceptions, such as the Getzen 700S Eterna II, which is an excellent trumpet.

I have not played the Jean Paul trumpet, but the Holton is a solid horn. I played my college audition on one, and played it for about half of my first semester until I picked up a Bach. So, as long as the Holton and Jean Paul are in reliable playing condition then you are probably better off waiting for a used professional trumpet.

Good luck!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read so far, the difference between a student and an intermediate horn is far smaller than that of an intermediate and a pro horn. And while buying trumpets is fun, it's also expensive and prone to disapointment. Do your reasearch, try different horns so you'll at least be able to tell what you'll like in a horn. You may end up playing best on a horn that isn't considered 'pro' at all.

Also, is Jean Paul a French, Canadian or Chinese brand?
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Bach TR200, which I found for $225 (I think) and sold for $75 more. I liked it quite a bit. I also am not good at selling and tend to regret selling on trumpets, even though I have too many. I have a Benge I wish I'd bought and also a Jupiter XO that were both in the $700-800 range at the time. I think you can't go wrong on instruments like that. I do see the Yamaha 4000 series for sale sometime. I think it's a fine idea to buy when you see something you like and also think about upgrading in the future.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly recommend looking into Yamaha ytr-4335 or ytr-3335 trumpets.
Both are excellent intermediate instruments (way better than the ytr-1000/2000 series) that won’t break the bank when new, but can also be found regularly on the used market.
The ytr-4335 has a very full and warm sound with great pitch, whereas the ytr-3335 has a slightly lighter blow and sound. Both are incredibly well made for the money and keep their value pretty well.

FWIW, I use both instruments (having two of each) in my repair shop as courtesy trumpets and clients are generally pleasantly surprised when playing them.

Edit:
I just found out that the retail price in the US of the ytr-4335gii lacquer is over twice the price we pay here in Europe; $1575 vs €625 (ytr-3335 is even €110 less).
How on earth did thát happen?

Last edited by Maarten van Weverwijk on Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Professional horn Reply with quote

I am the poster boy of impatience. Lost track of how many horns I have owed. Owed many intermediate horns and agree not much difference between most intermediate and student horns. To me the, Holton 602 trumpet is no better than a student horn. I have owed, Getzen 390, 490,590, 700 S Eterna trumpets. The only intermediate horns that I found different from the rest: Getzen 700 S Eterna trumpet. But to me something was still lacking. Sold it and then I bought a Getzen Renaissance professional trumpet. Vast difference between the two trumpets. Extremely happy with this trumpet.Did a best offer from ebay. So the total cost of trumpet including shipping and taxes was $800.00 dollars. $721.00 dollars for trumpet without taxes and shipping.
My recommendation would to wait to buy a professional trumpet. Yes I flipped many horns. Did make a profit for the trumpet repair man.
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the budget for a used intermediate horn then I'd probably recommend selling one of your existing horns for $300-400 and using the extra amount to score a used pro horn.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok lets forget solutions that work

All we want in here is a good chat

Last edited by Bflatman on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

save your money
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
Do not wait for a used pro horn wait instead for a beat up old pro horn that nobody wants its so beat up and score it for pennies.

Risky. On a limited budget the best bet is to find a used pro horn that already plays well and use it with minimal shop work. No disrespect intended for the great pro shops but repairs for a seriously beat horn are going to be expensive and only when they are done will you know if you even like that particular horn.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Beat up pro horn for 200 dollars plus refurb for 600 dollars equals new pro horn worth 4000 dollars

Just to offer some data: I had a French Besson refurbished a few years ago for $855 and a King Liberty refurbished this year for $975. Both needed valve overhauls and dent removals. No cosmetic work. In both cases I had the work done for sentimental reasons.

Considering the cost of a good quality used pro horn--I paid $1,050 for a Bach Strad in good condition this year--I don't think it made economic sense to repair either "beater" horn.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would urge the OP to use sold listings on EBay and make some calls rather than rely on our memories of prior horns. Gold has gone up over 50% during this crisis, the dollar is down 10% against European currency in the last few months, and additional deficit based stimulus on the scale of an annual Federal budget will continue to shift the value of dollars. Supply and demand for old horns is in flux, and the cost of labor is as well. Past experience is not a good guide to future cost right now.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience of 30 years as a career trumpet player, 17 years as a trumpet teacher (beginner through university level), and a few years as a music store employee, intermediate instruments are one of the greatest scams in the industry. 95% of the time they are student level instruments that have one or two "upgraded" features and probably a fancy paint job (silver vs lacquer). There's nothing intermediate about them, except for the inflated price tag.

A used professional instrument (this is a loaded category, too, but a whole 'nuther can of worms) is far and away the better choice. Just stick to professional instruments from the long time reputable manufacturers, not just an unknown brand/company that claims to have a professional instrument.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Professional trumpet Reply with quote

There is a used Getzen Renaissance trumpet on eBay that needs some repair. Asking price is $600.00 dollars. Give a low bid price and you may get it.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great hidden gem are Buescher trumpets with serial numbers between 300,000 and 400,00. All professional horns, usually available inexpensively. Not uncommon to find with valves worn out, because people played the heck out of them, but better chances you get one above serial 340,000, about, when the valves were nickel-plated.

If you find one, PM me and I'll tell you if it's worth buying.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok never mind

Last edited by Bflatman on Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude,

Respectfully, you need to post a TL;DR. I cannot bring myself to read the novel.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Post Reply with quote

Bflatman. I read all of your post. Very interesting and well written.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: