• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pops McLaughlin book

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Pops McLaughlin book Reply with quote

Aside from the barrage of unnecessary material and beautiful women, does Pops McLaughlin have an inclusive trumpet method book? One that sums up his approach? All I can see are a collection of single-focus books and I'm not looking to collect number of books. I'm looking for a one-stop book. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact him and ask. I've exchanged an email or two some years back with him
pops@bbtrumpet.com.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own several of his books, and find them useful, but I am not aware pf a method per se. The closest I can think of is "30 Minutes a Day: How to Improve on a Limited Practice Schedule." It isn't a full method, but gives you a sense of what he regards as the highest priorities in terms of what to practice and how to practice it.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up on my own post for anyone interested, I got the following advice from Pops this morning: "Tensionless Playing is a good start". Here is a link.
www.bbtrumpet.com/product/tensionless-playing/

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tensionless playing a few years ago and did not like it. It required a didjeridoo, another $40 (or much more) purchase, and I did not enjoy any benefit from the book. Maybe some day I will try it again, though.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know, LOL. I just got it.
BTW, I think one can buy a hose cheaply and use that as a substitute.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A length of pvc pipe is an inexpensive didjeridoo. I eventually purchased a real didgeridoo but you really don't need it.

Alan
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Tensionless Playing, bought a digeridoo, and it completely changed my playing. I went to my next lesson (I had been playing less than a year) and my teacher immediately said "What happened---it took me until college to get that tone?" At the same time, not directly related but from reading Jeanne Pocius' book, but it wouldn't have happened without Tensionless, I radically extended my range. Both people rely on the same type of lip use and approach to some extent, and it was the opposite of what I was doing. I haven't had a tone problem since, and my range is past where it should be, so I'm happy for the moment.

So there's that. I think that whether you get anything out of it will greatly depend on what you are already doing.

For the digeridoo, I think four feet of plastic pipe with the edge sanded soft would be sufficient. It only took me a few minutes to get the point, which was an excellent one I was NOT on the way to finding on my own, and I haven't touched the tube since. I can replicate the effect bare-lipped, and when I start to stiffen up during practice, which I still do, a few seconds of that pulls me quickly back. It's more of an attitude adjustment rather than learning a difficult new skill, I think-- the digeridoo is just a quick pass/fail test that you can't cheat on.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your first question.

“No nonsense trumpet from A-Z”

+1 on PVC (electrical tape over one side is a safe
move to avoid plastic splinters in a lip too)

As a side note this is only being mentioned
since it is worth another perspective.

“A barrage of unnecessary information” to one

Is a lifetime of well respected work by the
trumpet community including many in ITG.

That was nice of him to answer your inquiry today.

While at the same time dedicating many uploads
of free resources to his trumpet foundation for
people to be able to use for many years to come.

We should all be so lucky to pass on information
that some find useful in any amount that we can
leave behind.

Good luck in your trumpet endeavors
Sincerely,
A 20 year student of his.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: DIY Didge Reply with quote

Anything that Pops says is worth listening to and considering carefully, but, ya gotta be willing to listen and to consider.

I’ve had an all-day, in-person lesson with him. He knows how to immediately find weaknesses and address them.

Re: didge -- For a relaxation “didge,” I cut a 1½”x10’ PVC pipe in half … = two 5’ didges

Looking thru the couplings for 1½” pipes in the mega-hardware store, I found a slip-over with male threads. Onto this I threaded what, actually looks like a screw rim – might be the female-threaded part of a trap adapter but I don’t know these things.

Spent about $10 on parts for two didges (and $20 on a pipe cutter, but one of my hacksaws would have been fine).

For what it’s worth, after having not played for four or five days, I spent 15 – 20 minutes this afternoon relaxing on the didge before starting some appropriate lip and air coordination exercises on the pipe and then the horn.

And, should mention -- I did a little coaching with a colleague (a former pro who was come-backing on his own)) who was under a lot of pressure to perform at his previously high level. Not having played professionally for several years and natural aging were big parts of the problem and he was responding to his "new normal" physical state by trying harder.

When first trying one of my didges and attempting to reproduce an easy and relaxed didge sound -- he couldn't do it on several attempts over several minutes. He wanted to create the sound with his lips rather than finding the sound that was already in the tube ← the only way to do that is to flap (relax), not buzz.

In this video, Pops uses a real didge to get a true didge sound with some focused overtones. For myself, I relax even more and fall in line with the fundamantal as much as possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owq3bue4fjg

I'll also should mention that Jeanne Pocius showed an "exercise" (elephant farts) to me (it's in her book, too) that, as well as Jeff Smiley's "Roll-Outs," point in the same direction.

-Denny
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Didge Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
Anything that Pops says is worth listening to and considering carefully, but, ya gotta be willing to listen and to consider.

I’ve had an all-day, in-person lesson with him. He knows how to immediately find weaknesses and address them.

Re: didge -- For a relaxation “didge,” I cut a 1½”x10’ PVC pipe in half … = two 5’ didges

Looking thru the couplings for 1½” pipes in the mega-hardware store, I found a slip-over with male threads. Onto this I threaded what, actually looks like a screw rim – might be the female-threaded part of a trap adapter but I don’t know these things.

Spent about $10 on parts for two didges (and $20 on a pipe cutter, but one of my hacksaws would have been fine).

For what it’s worth, after having not played for four or five days, I spent 15 – 20 minutes this afternoon relaxing on the didge before starting some appropriate lip and air coordination exercises on the pipe and then the horn.

And, should mention -- I did a little coaching with a colleague (a former pro who was come-backing on his own)) who was under a lot of pressure to perform at his previously high level. Not having played professionally for several years and natural aging were big parts of the problem and he was responding to his "new normal" physical state by trying harder.

When first trying one of my didges and attempting to reproduce an easy and relaxed didge sound -- he couldn't do it on several attempts over several minutes. He wanted to create the sound with his lips rather than finding the sound that was already in the tube ← the only way to do that is to flap (relax), not buzz.

In this video, Pops uses a real didge to get a true didge sound with some focused overtones. For myself, I relax even more and fall in line with the fundamantal as much as possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owq3bue4fjg

I'll also should mention that Jeanne Pocius showed an "exercise" (elephant farts) to me (it's in her book, too) that, as well as Jeff Smiley's "Roll-Outs," point in the same direction.

-Denny

I took myself the liberty to print two sentences directly relating to me in bold. My own biggest error - trying to kinda shape the sound prior to playing thereby forgetting the air supply!
I´ve found Pops relaxation tips useful; ordered it, using it sometimes along with the BE - which constitutes the core of my embouchure change.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
MarkFoster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several of his books, and I can say that they are good. I also use different online resources when I need to find new information, including such services as Essayontime and so on. I can say that that usage of https://essayontime.com.au/research-papers-writing has helped me with my research papers on music several times. I like the way they present the information!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: