• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mpc suggestions appreciated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricoboogie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Mpc suggestions appreciated Reply with quote

Hi all. My primary mouthpieces are a Yamaha 14c4 and a Denis Wick 4x. I like them both for different reasons: the 4x has a super comfortable rim for my sausage lips, while the Yammy has a much warmer sound, which I actually prefer.

My question to you all is, what mpc would you suggest that might give me the best of both worlds? A nice, warm round tone, as well as a wide rim for comfort?

One caveat: I'm mostly interested in one piece mouthpieces. Suggestions for modular equipment won't be turned away but I get quite overwhelmed with all the different options on those things, so I tend to avoid them.

Thanks!
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I don't like 2,3 piece mps either. Call SCHILKE and they will tell you what to get from a dealer. YAMAHA mps are SCHILKE clones but not as extensive. jw
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Black makes a mouthpiece designed for people with larger lips as well as those with braces. It's called the 'BP' mouthpiece (not sure, but maybe short for 'braces piece'?). In any case, this sounds like it's what you might be looking for. Super comfortable, wide rim and nice tone. I had a student break down in tears once in a lesson thanking me for suggesting it - made a world of difference.

It comes in two sizes - a 3c model and a 1-1/2c model. Before anyone says "Ya, sure, if you can get a hold of Greg", East Coast Trumpets sells them as a reseller. Maybe reach out to them and see what they say - they even ship to Canada! Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fall on the side of having one rim- size and shape. It simplifies moving from one to the other. The two mouthpieces you've noted, to me have a sharp-ish bite.
A Yamaha 14C4 has much more bite than a 14B4.

One maker that maintains the same "feel" within a rim size is Mark Curry. You can play a 3C on for all-around stuff and drop to a 3*(star) for a shallow piece (show / commercial work) then a 3DE for picc.. and they feel the same on your chops.

I think of Schilke, Reeves, and Warburton when talking about pieces with less bite - "more comfortable"
Just remember there are always give and takes. More comfort might affect articulation, flexibility, or other aspects.

Bottom line, is that we're all different.. You'll have to balance sound, playability, and comfort with the piece that works for you and your wants.
There is no magic equation to find the "best" for you.

Many teachers (myself included) have a collection of mouthpieces to experiment with - it might help you home in on a good fit without ending up with a box of mouthpieces.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Mpc suggestions Reply with quote

In here it's to each his own, but I have yet to try a two piece anything either. I believe it is because I am easily confused I think. Trying to balance positives and negatives from two pieces? I get bad mental pictures in the head. "Well, the mouthpiece plays like a great Curry 3 and it would have that neat double inverted WangDoo backbore. I need simple
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Mpc suggestions Reply with quote

In here it's to each his own, but I have yet to try a two piece anything either. I believe it is because I am easily confused. Trying to balance positives and negatives from two pieces? I get bad mental pictures in the head. "Well, the mouthpiece plays like a great Curry 3 and it would have that neat double inverted WangDoo back bore. I need simple
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg told me it stands for "back pressure". It's designed for kids with braces. jw
ricoboogie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
I fall on the side of having one rim- size and shape. It simplifies moving from one to the other. The two mouthpieces you've noted, to me have a sharp-ish bite.
A Yamaha 14C4 has much more bite than a 14B4.

One maker that maintains the same "feel" within a rim size is Mark Curry. You can play a 3C on for all-around stuff and drop to a 3*(star) for a shallow piece (show / commercial work) then a 3DE for picc.. and they feel the same on your chops.

I think of Schilke, Reeves, and Warburton when talking about pieces with less bite - "more comfortable"
Just remember there are always give and takes. More comfort might affect articulation, flexibility, or other aspects.

Bottom line, is that we're all different.. You'll have to balance sound, playability, and comfort with the piece that works for you and your wants.
There is no magic equation to find the "best" for you.

Many teachers (myself included) have a collection of mouthpieces to experiment with - it might help you home in on a good fit without ending up with a box of mouthpieces.

I don't understand this. I use the two mpcs I mentioned because they both work for my needs in different ways. I'm just hoping to find something that sort of combines the two things that I like about each of them.

Maybe I should make my question simpler: Can anyone tell me which manufacturers make one-piece mouthpieces with a medium to medium-deep cup and a wide rim? Thanks!

Last edited by ricoboogie on Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
ricoboogie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisf3000 wrote:
Greg Black makes a mouthpiece designed for people with larger lips as well as those with braces. It's called the 'BP' mouthpiece (not sure, but maybe short for 'braces piece'?). In any case, this sounds like it's what you might be looking for. Super comfortable, wide rim and nice tone. I had a student break down in tears once in a lesson thanking me for suggesting it - made a world of difference.

It comes in two sizes - a 3c model and a 1-1/2c model. Before anyone says "Ya, sure, if you can get a hold of Greg", East Coast Trumpets sells them as a reseller. Maybe reach out to them and see what they say - they even ship to Canada! Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into this.
underdog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece options Reply with quote

Greg Black is great and he's a friend. He makes great equipment. The guys at East Coast Trumpets are great as well. Knowledgable and good guys.

You can also check out my mouthpieces here.

https://patrickmouthpieces.com/store/#ecwid:category=2605555&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

For what you're after I would definitely recommend a one piece, specifically for what you're looking for, the PATRICK 3Z

That said, there are good reasons to use a two piece models in commercial form. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer.
https://www.instagram.com/lessonswithstudiomusicians/
http://nashvillestudioorchestra.com/site-administrator/
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
for me, the best comfy rims are Marcinkiewicz'
You can email them, to Graham Middleton
best
Jmenc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it’s Bob Reeves. They were a game changer for me, and great to work with on the phone.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most comfortable rim I've played on is my AR Resonance. I have the MC size (look in my bio), but don't know how comfortable the other size rims would be. The sound is fantastic...probably the best piece I've every played.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some Wicks and they do seem to have a wide, comfortable rim. If you're looking for warmer, you may just want a deeper cup. The 4x is really shallow, right? That's pretty much eliminates "warm." In this case you'd look at the 4b, 4, or MM4C. Same rim but with different depths and backbores.

Happy hunting!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryant Jordan wrote:
The most comfortable rim I've played on is my AR Resonance. I have the MC size (look in my bio), but don't know how comfortable the other size rims would be. The sound is fantastic...probably the best piece I've every played.

That's pretty much spot on my experiences with them too. They also offer tons of customization options should you decide you want them altered in some way.
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 14C4, 14B4 and an ACB 3C. The ACB 3C is very similar to the 14C4 but has a much more comfortable rim.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see ... the choices and options are limitless.

http://www.trumpetperformancetips.com/trumpet-mouthpiece-comparison-chart.html
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
StricklandMusic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisf3000 wrote:

Feel free to email or call the shop anytime. Best to contact us directly for a fast response.

info@gregblackmouthpieces.com or 980-277-8195

Thanks,

Ben
www.gregblackmouthpieces.com
www.eastcoasttrumpets.com
www.vanlaartrumpets.nl
1 (980)-277-8195
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: