• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Watery sound while playing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marching noobie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Watery sound while playing? Reply with quote

When i play,Somtimes i get this noise like there is water inside my trumpet or if im spitting alot of spit into my trumpet,but when i try and empty my spitvalve,it doesn't have any liquid in it at all.Could it be comming from my mouth?Can anyone offer advice on how this can be prevented in the future?

Thanks in advance.
Thermos
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to press down the third valve to empty the spit from the third valve slide if you didn't know that.

Sorry if you knew this already, but I met someone who had been playing for 2-3 years that had never learned this, so I figured I might as well toss the easy solution out there.
Jim-Wilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I occasionally have stuff sitting in the valve block that comes out upon removing the second slide, depressing the second valve and blowing it out of the valve port. Doesn't happen so much on my new horn but previously occurred on another horn.

Jim
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the horn, the ambient temperature, and the demands of what I'm playing, I may need to empty the main tuning slide and all three valve slides. As my playing has improved, I've been collecting more water, so I just keep emptying the horn and don't worry about the source of the water.
JayJay
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: OK...thank you... Reply with quote

I too must say thanks for the very basic lesson in clearing that third valve slide...I didn't remember that from HS.

I was playing, actually trying to record for my yearly review, and the watery sounds returned and MAN I just opened that spit valve earlier and water again so soon?

You sure stepped out on the limb, but thanks for the basic lesson review.

Anyone else that reads a post and thinks it is a silly, stupid or lame statement or question...well "the only stupid question is the one we don't ask." this is still true. thanks again.

God Bless Y'all!
=======================
-=iii=<() '71 Conn Director Trumpet
o=ciii=<O
o=ciii<O
o-ciii<O
BLESSING BCR-XLS
DavidC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this happen to me as well. I'm not exactly sure what the cause is, but it's certainly possible that there's some water in your horn. Another thing that I have considered is licking your lips too much. By all means it is better to play wet than dry...but maybe there's a point where it becomes excessive? Maybe this helps, good luck.
Marching noobie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermos wrote:
You need to press down the third valve to empty the spit from the third valve slide if you didn't know that.

Sorry if you knew this already, but I met someone who had been playing for 2-3 years that had never learned this, so I figured I might as well toss the easy solution out there.

LOL!Funny thing is,i didn't know.

Macc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the 'french horn trick' - that gets water out when there's seemingly not even water in the horn!
skootchy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your spit valve hole for blockage. Sometimes food particles can completly or partially block up stuff. Really gross but it just demonstrates the need to at least rinse before playing again after eating. (like if you eat at a gig during the break.) I carry a travel size toothbrush, toothpaste and floss and try to use them before going back on stage. Maybe you should just give your horn a good cleaning (with Mr Snake) while your at it and see if that makes a difference.
mpre53
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:
Depending on the horn, the ambient temperature, and the demands of what I'm playing, I may need to empty the main tuning slide and all three valve slides. As my playing has improved, I've been collecting more water, so I just keep emptying the horn and don't worry about the source of the water.

I play two horns--a Bach 37 and a Getzen Eterna. They're kept in the same room, and I use the same mouthpiece on each. The Bach seems to generate much more water than the Getzen. I find I have to empty the tuning slide key after every exercise on the Bach. And I have to empty the third valve slide much more frequently (it has an Amado key). I rarely have to empty the third valve slide on the Getzen.
Bourbon City
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read many post about the Kanstul 1600 and water retention. My friend has a 1600 that had a problem. I took and cleaned it. The amados were clogged. Keeping a clean horn is of somewhat importance.

my 2 cents
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens to everyone. No big deal. Some horns just collect water in other places. When I play my Bb for instance (a Yammie Mark II) I have to constantly take out my 2nd valve and blow spit out. When I play my C, it is the 1st valve. When it's my pic, I swear the spit valves are broken, because the only place I can get spit out of is the bell and the mouthpipe. My Eb, its the third valve.

Find where your trumpet collects it, and just take care of it.

BTW, mine changes with the weather.

Good Luck.
lukeypoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-Wilson wrote:
Also, I occasionally have stuff sitting in the valve block that comes out upon removing the second slide, depressing the second valve and blowing it out of the valve port. Doesn't happen so much on my new horn but previously occurred on another horn.

Jim

I had the same problem as the OG poster, and had never considered this solution. Not expecting anything serious, i pulled the slide, depressed the valve and blew, and to my surprise, a WATERFALL poured into my lap
Little gross, but big thanks to you, cause it fixed it
Cornet:
H.N White/King Cleveland Superior
Mouthpieces:
Olds 3, VB Corp. New York 10 1/2C
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing a mouthpiece without enough undercut (i.e. too high an alpha angle) can cause a waterlike sound. This happened when I played a Bach 3CW. My lips would hit the edge of the cup and make a crackling sound. Playing a more C-shaped cup and/or lower alpha angle may help.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost 14 years have past since this thread. And you have to bring it back for what purpose? We are in a sad state these days.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a lot of water in your trumpet, you're full of hot air.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Old post collects water Reply with quote

Oh my goodness...some things never get old (or solved). I'm guessing an Amado waterkey was originally involved and I've lost count of the many times I've tried to explain here that these keys need a slightly different approach to keep them clean. A snake will not do it. The Amado piston has a groove and when depressed it allows moisture to pass through. When crud is lodged behind the groove you need to dislodge it either by disassembling the key (better have spare parts on hand) or simply blowing compressed air through from the outside with the piston depressed. With most everyone having a computer these days along with a can of air, this should be no problem. Even better is a real air compressor if you have one. And don't forget to oil them as often as your valves. The Amado key is held to very close tolerances and needs oiling same as your valves.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukeypoo wrote:

I had the same problem as the OG poster, and had never considered this solution. Not expecting anything serious, i pulled the slide, depressed the valve and blew, and to my surprise, a WATERFALL poured into my lap
Little gross, but big thanks to you, cause it fixed it :)

--------------------
The 2nd slide can accumulate water unless it is purposely drained.
3rd slide is easy, just tilt the bell down, and pull the 3rd slide or use the water key.

1st and 2nd slides - pull the slides and determine which way water would flow - and in both conditions of having the piston Up or Down.

Some 'maneuvering' of the body of the horn (and depressing a valve) might be necessary to get the water to flow backwards thru the valve section into the tuning slide for draining - or outwards towards the bell if that's your choice. During such maneuvering is common for French horn players due the convoluted path of the tubing.

Yes, it's an old post - but people are still looking for the answer.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
John_t_nz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually perform the following steps at the end of my practice session.

From this page:
https://everythingtrumpet.com/gearhead/Emptying_Water.html

Q: How do I empty all the water from my trumpet without using the spit valves?

A:

1. Hold trumpet as normal;

2. Tilt 90 degrees to the left (i.e., counter clockwise) so that the valves are horizontal, with the valve buttons pointing to your left;

3. Angle the bell up a few degrees;

4. Press down 3rd valve and blow (some folks find it best to remove the mouthpiece before blowing);

5. Press down 2nd valve and blow;

6. Press down 1st valve and blow;

7. Rotate 90 degrees counter clockwise so that valve buttons are pointing straight down;

8. Tilt bell downwards and lots of water runs out clearing all parts of the instrument!

This is employs the the same technique used by french horn players. It really does work and can be far faster than removing slides or even operating 2 water keys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: