• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn plays great sharp

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
I originally wondered if it might be a gap issue...

HTH

Ben

If you mean mouthpiece gap, I too wondered that.

I consulted with Michael Thompson on a gap issue a while back and he was able to demonstrate to me that adjusting the gap changed the distance between the harmonics. This was done on my horn with me playing using a sleeved mouthpiece.

In my opinion, that explicit phenomenon wouldn’t explain the OP’s issues. But that effect might not be the only thing changing the gap does.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be a mouthpiece gap issue if it's the tuning slide that I'm finding a huge difference with? I've tried the 'paper' test with mouthpiece gap, and didn't notice nearly as much difference as when the tuning slide being pushed all the way in.
Steve Hollahan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Tuning Slide sharp Reply with quote

Get a reversed Tuning slide. No gap at critical point. Also, install Amado w/key.

I cut off w/key nipple and use a cork w/key smashed into it to fill gap.
Kanstul 900 piccolo trumpet
Sculptured Recrafting Custom Instrument Repair
and Restoration
www.sculpturedrecrafting.com
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe consider this. If the horn doesn’t play to your standards at A=440, then it ISN’T a good horn. There are enough examples of poor playing Bach’s out there to confirm this may be the case. If, on the other hand, it’s almost a non-issue, then the best thing to do is go back to your studio and practice on the horn!

Cheers

Andy
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

The horn plays great as it is. Better than anything I've tried honestly. It's just that it plays a little better with less tuning slide gap.

MK Drawing and Bending are going to be sending me a 6" yellow brass tube that I will cut accordingly.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about cutting it? My tuning slide is pulled out currently 5/8ths of an inch.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryant Jordan wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

The horn plays great as it is. Better than anything I've tried honestly. It's just that it plays a little better with less tuning slide gap.

MK Drawing and Bending are going to be sending me a 6" yellow brass tube that I will cut accordingly.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about cutting it? My tuning slide is pulled out currently 5/8ths of an inch.

A Dremel tool with a cutting disk could do it. It would also have bits to smooth and round the edges. A little bit of chamfering on the outside will assist in inserting.

If I remember correctly the discussions of the nivribi inserts there can be challenges removing them after they have been inserted. Just something to keep in mind as you experiment.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the inserts seem to cure the problem, you could always have a good tech remove the inner slide tubes and replace them with longer ones to match the length of your slide + the inserts. That way, you won’t have to worry about stuck inserts down the road, and you (or the next owner) can easily shorten the slide legs in the future if needed.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
If the inserts seem to cure the problem, you could always have a good tech remove the inner slide tubes and replace them with longer ones to match the length of your slide + the inserts. That way, you won’t have to worry about stuck inserts down the road, and you (or the next owner) can easily shorten the slide legs in the future if needed.

Or measure the length and purchase a new tuning slide that has longer legs that compensate.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the 2 inch abrasive wheel chop saw from harbor freight or similar vendor. The saw is about 50 bucks but very good to have and it cuts tubing real nice.
Make the inserts 3/8 long
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used inserts in one of my horns years ago.

To remove them, find one of those trumpet valve cleaning rods that has a slot in the end for threading a cloth. They used to come with new Bach trumpets. Thread a strip of cloth through the slot the same width as the insert (you will have to experiment to get the right length).

Wind the cloth around the shaft to a thickness that just fits into the slide receiver. Once you have the wound cloth inside the insert itself, rotate the shaft the other way to bunch up the cloth and cause it to grip the insert. You can then pull the insert out.

Brass repairman extraordinaire Robb Stewart gave me this tip and it always worked as long as I occasional removed the inserts so they didn't seize up.

I would certainly recommend continuing to use the inserts rather than cutting up the horn!

Steve
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cutting tubing, the best tool is a small copper plumbing 'pipe cutter' - just the small one that is designed for working in tight spaces is fine, check Lowes or Home Depot. It leaves nice smooth edges and cuts straight. Don't fool around with hacksaw or cut-off wheels - they'll just make a mess of it.

I recall some inserts being made with a small hole drilled in the side of the insert so an angled 'o-ring pick' (or bent coat hanger wire) could be used to reach in and snag the hole so the insert could be pulled out.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
For cutting tubing, the best tool is a small copper plumbing 'pipe cutter' - just the small one that is designed for working in tight spaces is fine, check Lowes or Home Depot. It leaves nice smooth edges and cuts straight. Don't fool around with hacksaw or cut-off wheels - they'll just make a mess of it.

I recall some inserts being made with a small hole drilled in the side of the insert so an angled 'o-ring pick' (or bent coat hanger wire) could be used to reach in and snag the hole so the insert could be pulled out.

Tubing cutters have a tendency to crush the tubing slightly since the cut is done by pressing the blade into the tube. Plus copper plumbing pipe they are designed to cut is no where near as delicate as the tubing used in a trumpet.

That is why I prefer, and recommended, using a cutoff wheel for something like this.

But OP, please ask MK Drawing what they recommend rather than take advice from someone like me. Lipshurt is also a pro brass tech so, IMO, his advice is reliable.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's odd that these threads generally seem to involve a Bach....

(or is it...)
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:

(or is it...)

My Bach plays fine...
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:

(or is it...)

Well they are the best selling trumpet brand out there...
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bryant Jordan"]
Thanks for the replies. The horn plays great as it is. Better than anything I've tried honestly.
....]

Yeah, it is funny that these threads generally seem to involve a Bach!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Tubing cutters have a tendency to crush the tubing slightly since the cut is done by pressing the blade into the tube....
But OP, please ask MK Drawing what they recommend ...

-------------------------------
Yes, tubing cutters do need to be used gently to avoid crushing. Many 'light passes' and not 'crank it down hard'.
Asking MKD is a great idea, but make sure they know that the user is DIY.

BTW, if you do drill a hole in the side of the insert - get a piece of round wood or plastic that fits inside the tube for support.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Bogey Factory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
Use the 2 inch abrasive wheel chop saw from harbor freight or similar vendor. The saw is about 50 bucks but very good to have and it cuts tubing real nice.
Make the inserts 3/8 long

+1

I have one of these with a HSS blade. It's only $40 from Harbor Freight and is great for cutting tubing. The whole process of cutting and deburring including setup time takes at most 1 minute per tube. It's easy to get a nice square cut and the exact length you want. This is WAY easier than using a tubing cutter and MUCH harder to screw up.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

MK Drawing is sending me a pipe. I got a tool that I'll use to cut it (carefully), and I'll post my results once I do.
claf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding tuning slide inserts, the XO 1600i (Roger Ingram) is sold with 2 sets of inserts (and the rod to remove them) for this exact purpose.
I never tried them on mine, but it seems possible that the gap created when pulling the slide would create turbulences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: