• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

AR Resonance MLC First Impressions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: AR Resonance MLC First Impressions Reply with quote

Hi.

I received my MLC Bronze top (gold plate) today.

I'm blown away.

I've highly praised my MC, but with the MLC, it's just more of everything.

-The sound is wonderful. Everything I want it to be
-The ability to change from big and resonant to dark and fluffy is easier than it's ever been
-The flexibility is the best a mouthpiece has given me (after giving 60+ pieces a chance over years)
-Range is great, only limited by me
-Articulation is phenomenal

Once I am fully adjusted in a month or so, I'll post a full review.

I really didn't expect AR Resonance to be the pieces that 'click' with me, but they are. Safari over until aliens come with new technology that revolutionizes the horn and mouthpiece industry.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the AR Resonance MLC brass-top version. What I like most about it is its intonation and the note security it provides.

I find that with most mouthpieces the D above High C is flat and if I have to hold the note for any length of time, I sometimes have to strain a little to keep the pitch up there.

With the AR, the D is right where it is supposed to be and the mouthpiece seems to hold the note for me after hitting it.

I still enjoy playing my Bach Mt. Vernon 1 1/2C, but when I get tired and my accuracy and pitch start to go, I pop in the AR and it tidies up my playing nicely.

Steve
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the intonation is superb. I've played Lotus and Monette mouthpieces in the past and enjoyed the 'fixed' pitch, but felt like these type of pieces always resisted me until I tried the AR Res pieces.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people are already using variations of open throat and backbore, I do recommend at least trying an AR mouthpiece. That could be anything from Monette or Lotus to people playing orchestral 24/24 type setups etc.

I think most people will find they get something the is familiar in resistance, but plays generally feels more stable and plays more in tune.

That said, AR rightly doesn't claim the way some other makers do that the mouthpiece will magically fix all intonation problems. It's a noticeable improvement over a lot of mouthpieces but nothing is going to make every note (not including the low D & C#) in tune.

From what I've noticed, the normal intonation quirks of the Bb trumpet remain, I've found things involving 1st valve in the staff still tend to sit on the high side of the pitch, requiring a little thumb slide of Fs and As if you're being particular.
The G ontop of the staff does also sit the usual amount on the high side.

The D, E and Eb in the staff are noticeably improved, however.
I've also noticed significant improvement to the 1st ledger A which, on a couple of my trumpets, no longer requires any 1st slide at all. At first I was worried by this that notes above the A would then be flat, but the Bb on up are pretty much spot on. High Eb is flat played 2nd valve, but sits spot on with 2&3, although I've not owned a mouthpiece or trumpet that wasn't flat on that note.
The high D is right on though, as Winghorn said.

I think mostly people will enjoy the sound and feel from the AR though. I haven't really had any desire to change mouthpieces since making the change. It's probably actually saved me some $$ in that regard! haha
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intonation, clarity and stability of the tone was one of the things that attracted me the most about the AR mouthpieces. It was something I always struggled with, but these mouthpieces made it much less severe. Can confirm it's still very much possible to play out of tune with AR mouthpieces (my high G is sharp on any trumpet, with any mouthpiece, it's just stuck in my head incorrectly). When first trying AR mouthpieces, I had the oppertunity to try a lot of combinations and they all had that same intonation effect to some degree, so I can confirm it's definitely an AR mouthpiece trait.

The only downside of AR mouthpieces I've noticed so far is that there seems to be a limit to the volume I can produce with the MC cup...if I'm blasting triple forte and the director asks for even more, it cannot be forced. That's less of a problem with the lead piece though, so it could be just me.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel similar about my MC. There’s a limit to how much volume I can get out of it without resetting my embouchure (and I shy away from that).

With the MLC, at least for me, there’s no limit to the volume. It’s even more resonant and let’s you take it where you want to go.

Did you try an MLC or an MB? Maybe those can help you get that extra volume you’re looking for.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryant Jordan wrote:
Did you try an MLC or an MB? Maybe those can help you get that extra volume you’re looking for.

Probably. I’m not 100% sure which ones I tried. It’s not really a problem though. I specifically chose them to have different sound qualities and purposes...it’s also why my MC is brass rather than bronze, to make it bit less screamish and more suitable for classical/section playing. They’re similar enough that switching between or even during songs is fairly doable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: