• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn ideas - core and ease

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hoping to find that in an easier blow.

What are you describing as "easier blow"? Less resistance or more efficiency?

You should also consider a Benge 3x or 3x+.
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrd19580 wrote:
I have tried a lot of horns and for me the best fit is a Schilke S32HD.
+1
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl, can resistance or efficiency be quantified without including the player? The player is an integral part of the system, and each player will have different ideas about the qualities of the same trumpet.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Horn ideas - core and ease Reply with quote

nowave wrote:
... but I'm thinking about a horn with a more compact sound and an easier blow for certain things like loud Latin gigs ...

------------------------
I have trouble understanding what people want when they use terms such as -
- easier blow - does that mean less perceived 'resistance', less 'back pressure'?
- compact sound - able to play more quietly and have good control?
- efficiency - able to play the desired loudness with less effort? use 'less air'?
- focused sound - crisp and clear sound production? directionality?

I want to be able to play at various levels of loudness, have good control, and not get excessively fatigued.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The player is an integral part of the system, and each player will have different ideas about the qualities of the same trumpet.

Irving is 100% correct. One's perception of a horn depends completely on oneself. Like a pair of shoes . . . if the last (i.e., the form) around which the manufacturer builds the shoe does not match your foot size and shape, you will complain vociferously about how the shoe "sucks".

Trumpet playing requires as much body as it does mind. As my two children grew into trumpet playing, they enjoyed playing on larger bore/bell trumpets and larger mouthpieces as they themselves grew physically stronger both in terms of major muscle groups (used for wind creation and control) and the tiny muscle group that controls one's embouchure.

Thus, I think that each player grows into a particular size and resistance of trumpet dependent on their physical strength (innate and/or developed) and on their goals for the sound concept required by the type of music they play.

My $0.02.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 37
random_abstract

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course every player will have a unique experience with a given horn/mouthpiece scenario. We're all different and have different levels of technique, different approaches and sound concepts, etc, blah blah blah.

I, for one, enjoy reading the forums to learn more about people's unique experiences and perceptions with regard to gear and different applications like jazz, big band, symphonic, church music, etc., especially where those topics cross over with my own experience and preferences. It's helpful and enlightening to compare the experiences of other trumpet players (at all levels!) to my own.

I'm quite interested in this topic, as I also play an HC2 and have been thinking about adding another Schilke Bb that would be more suited to large ensemble situations (big band, concert band, orchestral). Can we continue the discussion? Thanks!
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn ideas - core and ease Reply with quote

nowave wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some ideas for a horn to contrast/compliment my Schilke Handcraft HC2. This is a much more versatile horn than you might think, but I'm thinking about a horn with a more compact sound and an easier blow for certain things like loud Latin gigs (if those ever come back!).

A dense and compact core sound and the ability to hear myself from behind the bell are musts.

Some horns that I'm considering:

-Calicchio (had a 1s2 that I loved for sound, but took a bit too much effort)
-an M-bore Calicchio (hard to find though)
-Charley Davis versions of a 1s2 or 1s7
-Schilke S33HD, S43HD, or some other HD model
-Bach 190-43
-Shires AZ
-Scodwell
-Stomvi VRII
-Yamaha Shew new version

Anything else that should be on my list to try?

Thanks guys.
The B&S McNab is a good horn but I think you would be better off with either the BACH COMERCIAL, the 3rd Gen SHEW Z horn or a SCHILKE. (S22,S32 or B6). I play when needed a S32. Good luck! jw
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff.

What I meant by "easier blow" was more sound for less effort, not decreased resistance. I can see how that was imprecise.

A few random thoughts to further the discussion:

-I love Benges as well, good call, though they don't satisfy the "dense core" requirement for me. (talk about another hard to define term - core)

-Hadn't even thought of a Vintage One - thanks. I know someone who uses one for everything under the sun, including a Balkan brass band. Never played one.

-Bach 37... duh. Of course. Will add to the list to try, why not?

Eager to do some testing soon... maybe this weekend.
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know you have to make a appointment now at Dillon's because of the virus. BTW, I only recommended horns you can buy new because getting a used horn they don't make anymore is so problematic. BACH 37,38 no. 72LT maybe. CALLET Jazz or SIMA yes. I have my first teacher's 22B that CONN gave him to try when he was with the Pittsburgh Symphony. Not the horn for commercial work in 2021.Good luck! jw
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you are looking for a conn 36B connstellation or a Conn 8B artist.
Brian McDonald
Serafin Aguilar
Dan falcone
etc
etc
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I meant by "easier blow" was more sound for less effort, not decreased resistance. I can see how that was imprecise.

"more sound for less effort" DOES depend on the skill of the player to a large degree. But that being equal for the same player and different instruments, the greater resistance instrument is the most efficient. However, it may not be the most preferred.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latin Band? Jupiter 1600I Ingram signature.

My main gig for nearly 20 years (Since October of 2001) has been playing in a rock and roll party/wedding band. My evolution of horns with that group - all chronicled somewhere in the pages of this forum - is as follows:

Bach Strad, LB, 25 Bell (1997-2006)
I hand-picked this trumpet, and it was a solid horn, but I always felt like I worked too hard to get the kind of sound I needed.

Schilke B6 (2006-2015)
I liked this horn for a lot of reasons. The sound and blow were always spot on, intonation was great, but the slotting was slippery.

Jupiter 1600I (2015-present)
Without a doubt, this horn made me a better player, partly due to the way it slots, but also because of the way it sounds - it has a density to the sound, but it also has some zing on the edge - it always sounded great on the mic, and being medium bore, I never had to work too hard with it - my endurance on that horn was always solid, and I think that part of it had to do with the fact that it naturally sounded the way it needed to sound without me having to push or work to get it to sound that way.

A person could spend more for something with a better name, but why? If you haven't had a chance to try one, give it a whirl if you get the chance. It will probably surprise you.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how people are different: I really like the classical Conn M bores (38, 36) and the Yamaha Z horns. The Schilke B6 in gold plate would be one of my dream horns but I always found the Jupiter 1600i quite stuffy. Maybe I play with more air (whatever that means ...)? I do like the Jupiter flugels and would not at all disregard Jupiter/XO. They make very nice horns, just the 1600 is not for me.

Speaking of Conn: some of the lightweight horns could also be interesting to the OP, such as the lightweight Artist.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw someone mentioned the Conn Vintage 1. Good horn, I like that one a lot. The sound is broader compared to my Bach 43. I noticed that when A-B-ing a bunch of Bachs including mine with a brass Vintage 1. Never played the gold brass or sterling silver variants.

If you’re thinking Conn, throw in a 52B, highly underrated horn in my opinion and cheaper than the Vintage 1. Plays even better for me than the Vintage 1.
1977 Conn 6B
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Funny how people are different: I really like the classical Conn M bores (38, 36) and the Yamaha Z horns. The Schilke B6 in gold plate would be one of my dream horns but I always found the Jupiter 1600i quite stuffy. Maybe I play with more air (whatever that means ...)? I do like the Jupiter flugels and would not at all disregard Jupiter/XO. They make very nice horns, just the 1600 is not for me.

Speaking of Conn: some of the lightweight horns could also be interesting to the OP, such as the lightweight Artist.

Well, FWIW, Roger Ingram seems to play his 1600I just fine, so....

I can assure you, the 1600I design isn't inherently stuffy, and I doubt if you play with more air than Roger Ingram.

Yes - different horns for different folks. We all have our preferences.

Another horn that should be on the list and is well regarded by many is the Yamaha 8310Z
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sure you’d notice the irony in the air statement ... The only thing I meant to say is that the Ingram horn to me is quite different from the other horns I mentioned.
1977 Conn 6B
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I was sure you’d notice the irony in the air statement ... The only thing I meant to say is that the Ingram horn to me is quite different from the other horns I mentioned.

In recent years, "stuffy" has never really been a word I've used to describe any pro-level horn. Stuffy to me means hard to blow and diffuse in sound, but that can be a product of an improper mouthpiece gap. Focused and unfocused, or more or less resistance, are words that I tend to go to when describing a horn.(To be fair, there are some cheap student model horns that I've played that are in fact "stuffy" - likely from just being poorly put together and with poor tolerances.)

For me the 1600I always had a pretty balanced resistance, whereas some horns tend to back up a bit and become more resistant as I move into the upper register.

Likewise, I played a Schilke X4 one time where I felt like I was falling into the horn - it didn't have any resistance to push against.

Some guys like to go on about how a horn needs to be open and "free blowing" but I think we all have somewhat different definitions to describe similar things.

For my uses, the Ingram needed to be brash and bright, and I needed something that was going to zing and cut through. I've said over and over again that I never thought that this trumpet was particularly well suited to classical literature - it "can" do it, but for me that horn was always most at home playing stuff like this.

https://soundcloud.com/trickg/i-want-you-back-new-monopoly-live
- ACB Doubler

Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to blow is pretty much what I felt with the Ingram model, so maybe it’s just not the horn for me. Or it was a Monday specimen, as we say over here ...
1977 Conn 6B
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Hard to blow is pretty much what I felt with the Ingram model, so maybe it’s just not the horn for me. Or it was a Monday specimen, as we say over here ...

Or maybe it's you - not the horn.
- ACB Doubler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: