• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Heart Surgery, Blood Thinners And Trumpet Playing...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Heart Surgery, Blood Thinners And Trumpet Playing... Reply with quote

Hi all. I have a two part question. Has anyone here had open heart surgery? If so, what was the recovery time and road back in regards to trumpet playing? The second part is does anyone here have any experience with playing trumpet while on blood thinners? If so, were there any issues to report? Thanks for your answers :)
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
ebolton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can speak to the blood thinner aspect. Has not been any issue for me.
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed, good to hear :)
14B Schilke mouthpiece
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Heart surgery Reply with quote

Bill,

I had open heart surgery at about 1 month old.....62 and still here

Best,

Scott
Pickett Mouthpieces
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent Scott! I had my a couple of weeks ago.
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Am on Plavix since 2007 Reply with quote

I had 2 heart attacks, in 2007 and in 2009, no heart surgery but both were followed by a catheterization procedure with a stent having been implanted.
I've been taking Plavix 75mm once a day ever since (14 years now).
I practice seriously for an hour a day. I even go up to E, F above the staff.
Pre-covid rehearsals twice a week for 2 hrs at each.
Never any playing-related problem with the blood thinner, with any of the playing.
If I cut myself, it takes a little longer to stop bleeding but that's it.
Best of luck Bill.

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation last summer and had to go on blood thinners plus a drug called Metoprolol to regulate the heart beat. Blood thinners no problem but the Metoprolol seems to affect the face muscles in a negative way. I have adjusted to it to a degree, but I don't sound as good as I did before I started taking that drug.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George, I'm on Metoprolol too-in what way has it changed things and have you been able to adapt sufficiently? I'm still 2 weeks away from being cleared to play again.
14B Schilke mouthpiece
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife tells me I should not butt in with unsolicited advice, but this won't be the craziest thing posted here and it is potentially life saving, so...
those with heart problems should investigate a whole foods, plant-based diet such as proposed in Fuhrman's book Eat to Live. I easily lost 80 lbs on this diet, dropped my resting heart rate (an indicator of longevity) to 50 and dropped my blood test numbers. You can reverse heart disease and potentially get off all meds...that's all I'll say. Look at the science...
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Ortiz wrote:
Hi George, I'm on Metoprolol too-in what way has it changed things and have you been able to adapt sufficiently? I'm still 2 weeks away from being cleared to play again.

Hi, Bill, I've been told that side effects of various drugs affect people differently, so you may not be affected at all.

In my case, I am 2 months away from turning 85 and started playing again in 2016 at age 79 after a 50 year hiatus. My embouchure is pretty touchy and I have had a variety of injuries that have caused me to stop playing for long periods and coming back gets tougher each time. I guess I just don't have strong muscles in my face around the chops and I found that after starting on Metoprolol I had difficulty maintaining my endurance and especially the tone that I had always received compliments about.

I started on the drug in July last year and have managed to get back most, but not all the endurance I had before the drug. The tone seems to vary. Sometime good and somedays not so good, but again I do seem to be able to get a decent tone more often than not now. So I have adjusted I guess. I just wish I didn't have to take it PERIOD. I think there is something in the drug that relaxes the muscles and making it harder for me to maintain the tension in the chops to play the trumpet properly.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Heart Surgery, Blood Thinners And Trumpet Playing... Reply with quote

Bill Ortiz wrote:
Hi all. I have a two part question. Has anyone here had open heart surgery?

Yes. I had an emergency bypass in 2012. No heart attack, but my doctor told me I was cutting it pretty close.

Quote:
If so, what was the recovery time and road back in regards to trumpet playing?

I hadn't yet started on trumpet at the time. But it was at least a month before I felt up to doing any of my regular activites, including playing clarinet. It took a lot out of me.

Quote:
The second part is does anyone here have any experience with playing trumpet while on blood thinners? If so, were there any issues to report? Thanks for your answers :)

Can't help you there -- I've never been on blood thinners. But I do take a lot of blood pressure drugs, and they don't seem to affect my playing one way or the other.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 1) carotid surgery and a year later 2) triple bypass, both surprises that were caught in time! Whew! I did not feel like playing after either. When I began again after the bypass I had to stop again because of tooth infection, resulting in losing two lower front teeth. The 'rain' really poured on my playing.
For me it's embouchure problems. I did blood thinners for a time and the cardiologist said to go to just a 325 aspirin now. Things are slowly returning. I went back to a 7C and sometimes a Stork 2C. Have courage and practice smart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: