• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How can I max out my air use for higher notes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet_bob_silver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: How can I max out my air use for higher notes? Reply with quote

Effectiveness and efficiency in air use for higher notes. That's what I'm thinking about here.

I'm middle aged. I'm not a student, not a beginner. I've probably heard it or taught it for ideas. I'm looking for something more precise about air use efficiency ("efficiency," yes, but I'm thinking effectiveness more than then just efficient).

I've never been able to play high. My goal is just to have a decent high C as an option. I can "sit" on notes around an F and G. I can tap a high C, but that's not very usable, and at the rate I'm going, this is going to take forever.

I think maybe it's been 20 years of practicing on my own. (I'm not interested in a teacher. Yep, mention, "Get a teacher," but I'm not doing that. A teacher isn't going to solve this. I've already met with teachers and gotten the usual information. None of that helped to crack the initial range block either.) During the past five years or so I finally figured out enough to crack my range issue. That ended up being things like getting better rest, eating more protein, getting better sleep, resting up to do a harder push on range instead of wearing out doing a daily routine, etc. That worked and is working, but it's slow. Too slow... I'll run out of life at the rate I'm going.

I have beefed up facial muscles for playing higher. The are muscles that need to function under the mouthpiece. Those have gotten stronger. I've noticed my checks have gotten stronger too. And I can tell when they're not there that day or worn out that things aren't going to happen for range. Along with that, I've noticed my ab muscles, but more so in that they getting bulged out or stretched out from breathing and definitely from pushing air for higher notes. So fine, the muscles are there. They're working. They're getting stronger.

What I'm thinking about now is that the muscles have gotten stronger, but progress is still slow. Plenty of people don't seem to have the issues I have with range. I've never heard anyone ever talk about their abs feeling stretched out from use from trumpet playing, not to the point that I would start thinking about and doing exercises to "reset" those ab muscles once I figured out what was happening. So if the muscles are an area I've gotten more control over but something's still not quite right, what could it be? Air. I'm not sure there's anything left.... except maybe physical set up, but I'm stuck there I think.

What I'm looking for is how to maximize my air use for the push and speed for higher notes. Higher notes being just up to a high C. I'm thinking it wouldn't involve the trumpet or mouthpiece so much. Breaking it down more...
Inhale -- Probably good enough. I'm full of air.
Push for air out -- Not bad, probably not the use. A little focus wouldn't hurt for the difference in air push for higher notes.
Throat, etc. -- Relaxed, good enough, attention doesn't hurt.
Tongue -- This is definitely where I'm thinking there's something for improvement.
Jaw position -- Possibly, for aligning the top and bottom teeth
Lips -- Definitely here too. Aperture control, endurance to hold position, a small aperture that's not too wide.

Getting too much oxygen can be an issue. I haven't mastered that.

It would be something like just blowing air out, doing the ah-ee tongue positions, making sure air it shooting out of the lips straight on, possibly adding the mouthpiece to that. After that it gets fuzzy... Too much, too fast (if possible), and the lips start to buzz. Volume might be too much too. It doesn't take a lot of air volume to have fast air speed.

Any thoughts? What exercises can I do with or away from the trumpet and mouthpiece to get my air flowing more effectively for higher notes? I understand the concept fine. What I'm doing must be off a little if the high notes aren't happening though, esp if muscle seem improved.

There may be something with the muscles under the mouthpiece still being pushed too much. I can still feel a dull ache from there, the same as I've felt when I focus on cheek muscles for soreness when I do a little more for an endurance push.

This might just need an extra section on my routine for breathing work without the horn, maybe with or without the mouthpiece. Something could possibly be done laying down in bed instead of a practice room. It gets around issues of getting too much oxygen while experimenting with breathing. Walking or something (exercise bike) would help to burn up O2 also to prevent hyperventillation.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had to blow through a cocktail straw, how hard do you think you could blow? How much air?

Not much, right? Well, that's about what you need playing high. The massive air players are just using a more open aperture. And they sound like that too. To me they sound coarse. Not pleasant.

So tiny aperture. Focused. High notes get easier.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My upper range was limited very similar to what you describe about yourself.
Some fairly simple technique changes (not embouchure change) have helped me a lot.

What I discovered about myself is that I was using so much mouthpiece pressure, and so much 'lip squeezing', that air flow was PREVENTED regardless of how much internal air pressure I generated.

Yes the lips need to be adjusted to produce the desired pitch, but they must also be loose enough (including mpc pressure) to allow air flow that will produce the vibrations. I doubt that you lack adequate air pressure.

Below is a link to my thoughts about embouchure - mostly about what has to HAPPEN, and some about how to make it happen. It's a short read, not a lengthy book.

http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/Embouchure_Basic_Concepts.htm
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a simple formula for producing any desired note on the trumpet:

Adequate air supply + adequate air flow + adequate muscle power + correct chop setting/technique = desired note.

You can't overcome an incorrect chop setting/technique with more air supply, more air flow or more muscle power.

From your description you have plenty of air supply, plenty of air flow and plenty of muscle power. That leaves only your chop setting/technique as the problem.

High range is primarily a product of correct technique, not a product of muscle power or the myth of "faster air" (you can play every note on the trumpet with the same air speed simply by varying the resistance your lips place on the air stream).

Your problem with the higher register is that you are not employing the correct chop setting/technique.

I acknowledge your statement of disappointment/lack of success with your teachers. However, if you are going to learn the correct chop setting/technique you will have to undertake and carry out some process.

That process can be a "self-taught" process (there is plenty of information available on the internet and from published sources or you can just go through a process of trial and error) or you can learn it with direct interaction with a teacher. You can choose one or the other or both, whatever you feel is appropriate to you.

The fact that you have not been successful with a teacher could be a problem with the teaching process (the teacher may be giving you incorrect/ineffective information) or it could be a problem with the learning process (you may not be applying what you've been taught correctly) or it could be a problem with both.

The ideal situation is to work with a teacher who can give you accurate information regarding chop setting/technique and who can monitor your adherence to what the teacher has taught you and guide you through a process that yields results. Of course, your success obtaining those results also depends on you and your willingness and ability to do the things the teacher requires.

The fact that you have had teachers and have not achieved your desired results indicates that there has been a weakness in teaching, a weakness in learning or a weakness in both. What do you think it is?

You're not actually asking for extreme high range. You're just asking for range up to high C. That is a very conservative goal and one which most players would reasonably expect to achieve.

The facts that (1) you've made a considerable effort, (2) you seem to have plenty of air supply and air flow (most players do) (3) you've increased your muscle power, (4) your increased muscle power isn't changing your results and (4) you are experiencing a dull ache and soreness in your muscles indicates that the problem is that you are using an incorrect/inefficient chop setting/technique.

Until you correct your chop setting/technique you will continue to see the same results you are currently seeing. I'll repeat what I said above: You can't overcome an incorrect chop setting/technique with more air supply, more air flow or more muscle power. The longer you resist this truth the longer you will stay where you are in terms of results.
SteveDurand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermokiwi's post is spot on.

Steve
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob

Quote:
I've never been able to play high

good news.. I reckon in less than 6 months you can go from this to "I love playing high" I should know cos I think our case histories sound pretty identical. You've already got very good input here from pros like Hermokiwi. Jay is also spot on about mouthpiece pressure HL Clarke " I had pressed the mouthpiece so hard to my lips it had kept them from vibrating at all - I had been like a man trying to walk with his legs bound together" I also found Rich III cocktail straw useful.

A year ago I had been playing the trumpet for 3+ years. G top of the staff was my limit for "performance playing" - even then a bit a bit shaky (my wife's 50th birthday.. 50 guests .. hit the first 3 g s and then missed the next 3.. I went very red)
Today G top off staff feels easy even when tired and B above is my new favourite and easy note. C above that clearly next in line and so this is what I did.

You solution will be different but my guess/hope is something I write here is going to help:

First thing I decided, whatever I did it has to feel easy- look at the Trumpet player - Tine Thing - more effort and energy was not the answer (I was before a long distance runner - 0930 is my 2 mile record - so this was my natural "reflex" train / work harder - wrong -) I just need to get smarter. And it has to be Easy.

So here is Steve's Easy 5

1. Set up - when I was tired I noticed my cheeks started to inflate/blow out. So I started to experiment with horn angle / mouth piece placement. My new Lip set up enables me to blow air up to tip of nose - before I was blowing down. Now more bottom lip directing air up. (I get confused is that upstream or downstream - by the way I have normal features - no receding or protruding jaw to speak of) I get this feeling of the tension and power is more on muscles around my lips and not my cheek muscles. Someone - was it Farkas? wrote about "the mask" round the lips that is how I feel now. Note - when I did a major set up change like this it took my lips 5-7 days to get used to it and start working again - mistake I had made earlier was think it was a dead end after 1 or 2 days. Find the set up that makes an f or g top of the staff feel easy.

2. Air - I stopped thinking about blowing (for me trumpet playing is like "blowing out a candle" was very bad idea I entertained for 3 years) I got into "the sigh" idea - inhale and play notes in the easy release of the air. (Is is the TrumpetProfessor - Paul- You tube goes into this, also Mystery to Mastery-GregSpence You tube ) I turned 180 degrees in my thinking about air above the staff High notes = less air = easier.

3 Lips - experiment with the degree of Roll in / Roll out and Lip compression. (The Balanced Embouchure (BE) book Jeff Smiley is possible the biggest single factor that helped me the most) In the last 8 months my aperture has gone from "open" to "closed" but feels more open (ie less lip compression) I used to think "the more open the aperture the better" for me I think that was the wrong path to go down. Whatever the specific lips answer if you're anything like me you will need a "padded feel" and an element of roll in as the lips make your high notes easily.

4 Tongue - stop looking for the answer in the tongue / tongue arch. Let the tongue work it out of its own accord - can't say Easier than that! BUT after BE exercises I notice my tongue is a lot closer to my lips.. easy for me to tongue straight on the top lip and very loud for a g on top of the staff.

5 Easy repetition at top of your range. I have played more notes of Ab from top of staff and above in the last 7 days than in the previous 4 years put together. As "Pops" says - you need to play a note 400x a day to own it. But only play them when they feel easy. Stop when they don't. (on a free day I will practise eg 15 x 10mins) You can feel this space in the back of your mouth where the notes resonate and pop out without effort. Practise tiny adjustments to the mask set up around the lips / under the nose and below lower lip to enable notes above staff to resonate.

I am impatient - like you Bob - for progress. I an 57. I can't be "patient" so I made myself question assumptions / instructions - just like you should question everything - starting with my "Easy5"

Pocius (Trumpeting by Nature) said her goal was to enable every pupil to become their own teacher. Teachers can help ask the questions but you're going to be the best at finding the answers. I have had 3 trumpet lessons in my life (If I don't count Ko and BE)
lesson 1 AIR! more Air
lesson 2 Your set up is fine - just practise - but avoid pedal tones
lesson 3 Just hear the sound / make beautiful music (forget embouchure)
You could not hope to meet more well meaning and pleasant Gentlemen than these 3 and I think their advice took me backwards - not forwards. So question everything - Vizzutti on a You Tube master class says you have to anchor tongue. Someone else on this forum swears by modified K tongue, someone else flat chin - these people are all being very sincere - it works for them - but you need to find what works for you. So of course by all means find a great teacher - the more Teachers we have the better - and there is no better Teacher than the chap staring at you in the mirror.

So Good luck Bob - hope in some way this helps - cos a lot of comments on this forum / you tube / BE / have & continue to help me - nice if I can give something small back.

And one final challenge for you Richard Bach "Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" So can you stop thinking about not playing high and start thinking "I'm going to soar with this Trumpet.. high C just the start!? they say you teach best what you most need to learn. So this has to be my new mindset too!

Good luck

stay safe Steve in Helsinki
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Hermokiwi, who said:

Quote:
Your problem with the higher register is that you are not employing the correct chop setting/technique.

However, despite what you say about not wanting a teacher, I'm going to recommend that you seek out a chop doc and get your setup right. You say you have been playing for 20 years and have been unable to crack this nut and, moreover, your solutions revolve around more muscles and air strength or speed, which definitely aren't the solution to your problem.

The story is told of Armando Ghitalla giving a workshop. They got a complete stranger off the street and Armando taught him a simple roll in in front of the assembly and he was able to play a high C immediately. He fatigued pretty quickly, but he was able to do it. It isn't muscle power or years of effort or some kind or arcane air speed...it is the right setup, which you apparently don't have and haven't been able to discover in 20 years. Don't feel bad, I wasn't able to either. I found a Reinhardt teacher and had three lessons for a total of about 6 to 8 hours of instruction and I can now play above high C any time I want, whether I am practicing regularly or not. It's the setup.

Let me be clear that I'm talking about a few hours of consultation at the most. You could probably do it over Skype, altho' in person would be better because the teacher could manipulate your horn while you were playing. Don't be stubborn...seek out some help.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Colini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob

I like Steve's reply.

He mentions Paul Hayes and Greg Spence. Check them out. Paul recommends maintaining a high abdominal pressure but Greg advises very little work from the abs. His method gets you up to about C/D with very little abs push. So far so good for me as like you I just wanted a comfortable C so I could play everything required in my 3 bands.

I changed my setup as per Greg and it made a fantastic improvement. You need very little air to play. Like you, I have experimented and wasted lots of time getting advice from YouTube but it is fun. I have been round the circle so many times but I have decided to stick with Greg as it is so straightforward and works for me.

Best of luck.
Colin
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveDurand wrote:
Hermokiwi's post is spot on.

Steve

Second that, especially the part about proper technique rather than muscle power.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: How can I max out my air use for higher notes? Reply with quote

trumpet_bob_silver wrote:

Any thoughts? What exercises can I do with or away from the trumpet and mouthpiece to get my air flowing more effectively for higher notes? I understand the concept fine. What I'm doing must be off a little if the high notes aren't happening though, esp if muscle seem improved.

Focusing on efficiency in the normal range is what worked for me. More range was a byproduct. In my mind efficiency is a function of coordination and elimination of unnecessary embouchure movement. When I started the quest for efficiency I would say I could play notes up to high C but my performance range was around a G/A above the staff. Here is what I did:

1. Rest as much as you play. Take the horn off your face and rest after every line you play. It keeps the lips fresh. Really pay attention to if you are getting tired/fatigued. I think Scott Belck refers to this as chop neutral. Try to keep yourself around neutral for as long as possible. I didnt start making any real progress until I stopped playing on tired lips. The whole goal is to coordinate/balance the tongue, embouchure and air. Embouchure mechanics break down when the lips are tired which makes it difficult or impossible to find the right balance.

2. Minimize unnecessary embouchure movements. Play a Clarke #2 exercise. Do you manipulate your embouchure while you are playing the different notes? If so, you shouldn't. Think of it as a long tone. Keep you air flow constant and press down the valves to add the tubing. You can also do this with Clarke #1 and the first two lines of the Clarke #5 scales. It takes some real focus at first but eventually (weeks/months) it will become second nature.

3. Lip Bends/False Pedals. Learn to play pedal F (really just a lip bend) with the same embouchure as you play in the in the non-pedal range. Don't move to the pedal E until you have it down. Then master them all down to pedal C. You can also play lip bend exercises in the normal range. Played with correct form, I believe the false pedals are like auto-correct for your embouchure.

4. Mentality. There are no high notes, just notes that you have figured out how to play. When you try to play high notes, do you purse your lips together, get tense and overblow? If so, you have to unlearn those habits. (Not easy, will probably be the hardest thing to unlearn if you are doing any of these things)

With all that being said, I am a sample size of one. Those are the big things that got me over the hump. I now have a performance range up to a solid F above high C and a rent to own G. That allows me to play most of the charts that are put in front of me. As with all embouchure and mouthpiece advice on this forum, you mileage may vary.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindset. That is what needs changing. At the moment it comes across as a closed mindset (this is where I need to work, I have enough air, etc)

Cut things down o the very simplest - You know, or you don't know.

High notes. You don't know. So, getting some help is the only logical answer. What you have written here however, is

'I don't know how to play high and my considered opinions are not helping the way I want. Tell me what to do, as I will not pay someone to do so, as I don't seem to learn from a teacher.'
I'm sure you can see the dichotomy here. No one learns something until they learn it. That in itself is not cause to give up attempting to learn if you have failed so far. More so, it is the reason to continue in your search to find a GOOD teacher who can help you.

cheers

Andy
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: How can I max out my air for high notes? Reply with quote

I can give you a proof that what Hermokiwi says is very true. When I was much younger I also lifted lots and lots of weights. From experience I found that when you start doing lifts to max out and determine what your max is you meet more and more a feeling of strain as you increase. If you max out at some time at 400lbs. on a power clean you will find that initially you feel 3, 4, or even 5 times the strain going from say 360 lbs. to 400. The only saving grace and the only thing that makes one able to increase the weight is following their routine and technique exactly on each lift no matter how much you lift. If you have the right set in your mouth on the mpc. you will be able to do the air and everything else the same and correctly, too. I believe Hermokiwi is right because if you alter how you set up or adjust air flow when you attempt higher range notes you are essentially playing two different trumpets. You can play three, really. A low range, middle range, and high range trumpet. Learn to do a solid set up and follow and higher notes will follow. Good Luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: