• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

what comes after?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
imma_star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. First off, let me say that I'm a freshman in high school and would really appreciate any suggestions I get for this.

I played the first movement of the Haydn Trumpet Cncrto in Eb for contest and surprised myself by getting an almost perfect score. Now that that's over with, I'm looking for a new solo to try. Any ideas?
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, congratulations! I didn't do that particular solo for contests until I was a senior, although I did play it from memory. But, here is a little piece of advice that I'm going to pass your way.

You say that you almost got a perfect score. Does this mean that you played it nearly to the level that Maurice and Wynton play it? No, your score was based much on your age and experience. I'm not taking anything from you, I'm certain that you did an excellent job, but there is more to playing a piece of music than getting a good score. That being said, never completely abandon this piece of music because you will find yourself coming back to it over the years and realizing things musically that you didn't before and after applying those things to this piece of music, you will make it even better than before.

Now, for other solos to try, take a crack at Concert Etude, by Alexander Goedeke. (sp? that will get you close) This requires a bit of endurance and is great to work on your double tonguing. Another good one would be the Arutunian Concerto or Prelude et Ballad by Balay. The Michael Hayden Concerto is a great tune as well, but it's definitely going to be a challenge. If you are really looking for a challenge, there is always the Arban's Carnival of Venice.

Best of luck to you and again, congratualtions!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
jkramb19
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imma-star,
Congratulations on your 1st.
What did you get marked down on?
did you take any parts down the optional octave?
As you move on to other material keep working on hayden and try to be more musical everytime you play it.
Tell us your strengths and weaknesses so we can help pick out a solo for you.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Vince Lombardi
NelleTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend:

The other two movements of the Haydn! The second movement is very lyrical, the third is, IMHO, more difficult than the first.

If you liked the Haydn concerto, also try the Hummel. It's a similar animal but I think it has something slightly different to offer without being much different in difficulty level.

Concert Etude by Goedicke (I looked at the music for the spelling). A great piece.

Hindemith, Sonata for Trumpet and Piano - this piece is difficult in it's own 20th century way. For example, the end is a 27 measure chorale that goes from pp to ff and has no rests... Another 20th century sonata to try is Kent Kennan's.

Bernstein, Rondo for Lifey - easy but fun

Similar to Carnival of Venice is Fantasie Brilliante in the Arban's book.

Hovhaness's Prayer of St. Gregory - a 20th century work in a 6th century chant style. Nice lyrical piece, has string orchestra accompaniment parts if you're interested.

I hope this helps to get you started. Congratulations on your rating!
imma_star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who replied! Here are some of the comments I got on the solo:

good control of upper reg. vibrato steady. nice at 15. [the high-low jumps] good job of not cutting off phrase endings. very musical performance. excellent literature... Try the "free air" concept we talked about and see if it helps the upper reg. thoroughly enjoyed the performance, you have many excellent qualities in a trumpter & musican.. keep working on the upper reg.

I missed a measure of the higher sixteenth notes and got up to a D, not the Eb. So close! And someone asked if I took any parts down an octave, I didn't.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I'll be sure to check em out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: