• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

first-day BE questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the BE book and Cd yesterday, did a reading and listening session to make sure I had the big picture, then took out my horn. I did the first 3 roll-out exercises. They felt quite good, and as I've done pedals for years, came pretty easily, albeit with a more radical embouchure. I then did the first 3 or 4 roll out exercises. A few observations: I can't get a consistent, single squeak (without the mp)--rather I get several different pitches coming from different parts of the chops. Yet when I put horn to rolled-in chops, I get a pitch. Initially I was getting a fairly uncontrolled Bb-C-D, but pretty easily got it to the G for the first exercise. These notes are interesting in that (while of kinda ugly sound quality) they are loud, and almost effortless to play--much more so that a normal G on my regular chops. However, by the time I got to the E I stopped getting anything but air and had to rest. My muscles were burning. A short rest seemed to restore them. I also tried some tongue-on-top lip exercises.

This took about 20 minutes, at which point I switched over to my usual routine of Caruso, Flexus, Clarke, improv etc...I ended the session with repeating the roll-outs 1 and 2 and roll-in 1.

I did notice a bit of carry-over, roll-inwise, to my usual stuff, which felt very strong, if at times a bit stiff. I also found that the Caruso approach worked synergistically with the BE.

My questions:

is it normal to not be able to get a single, focused squeak on the clamp (off-mouthpiece)? I seem to get a series of pitches all over my chops.

How many minutes a day is optimum, at first?

and--how many times to do it? I had good results kind of interpersing the initial exercises with my regular routine. Should I proceed with a "whatever feels good" approach?

thanks for your input.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness, you're an impatient one, aren't you?

Actually, it sounds like you're off to a great start. Re-read the book and focus more on the RI (you seem to have the RO pretty well down). Use the mirror and experiment, by moving the mpc, using airpockets, etc., etc, as described in the book and pictures. Controlling the squeak may take weeks. Controlling the RI for guys like you and I can take months; however, I'll bet that you'll notice indirect benefits within days.

The RI is going to be a lot of work for you, but there'll be a great payoff. (I still struggle with it every time I pick up the horn, four-months into BE).

Dave
HJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear mr. Stew,

Don't overdo
have a look in the book
at the lesson plan page
and look for the stage
you're in right now
and make a humble bow
to patience and pacing
don't go racing
as it will take you nowhere
but to Chop Wreck Alley, I've been there
So, take your time
and you'll be fine

Bert

Sorry, got carried away a bit. What I wanted to say is take it easy, look at the lesson plans. When you begin BE there is a risk of overdoing it, because you feel right away what it can do for you, but it does not happen overnight and takes patience. I always start off with BE like in the lesson plan and go on with other things and I do not play them the rest of the day.
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice (and the poesy)...I know, patience is the key. thanks for reminding me.

But--one very specific question. As dcstep corroborates, the RI is a bit tough in the beginning. Everything about it feels weird. If I am doing the clamp embouchure correctly, how do my teeth align? top and bottom fairly even (i.e., no overbite or underbite)? Open enough to allow tonguing against the top lip but no moreso?

thanks again.

scott
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the teeth alignment and jaw position, forget about it at this stage and just do what feels right or works. With tongue-on-lips the jaw must open somewhat, and in the future, with time spent on this exercise in particular, you will begin to find the optimum jaw position for you.

In the early stages, it is very common to find that you can only get a particular exercise to work with a particular jaw position (eg roll-out with lower jaw pushed out). In time, you will develop the ability to use a variety of jaw positions for any of the BE exercises, as the lips gain more integrity and independence from the jaw.

You have a lot to absorb with BE - forget about jaw position for now, and trust that it will eventually migrate to the best position for you.

Michael
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

These guys gave you some pretty good answers! I'd just like to add, it is better to do the roll-in in stages, with your first goal the hiss. Next, you want to get a consistent pitch, leading to exercises 1 and 2. Finally, if it applies to you, you will add the ability to tongue on your lips while rolled in. Learn one thing at a time, and keep the complexity to a minimim.

Bert - Shakespeare rolled over in his grave! Or, was that Snoop Doggy Dog? Whatever, I really enjoyed it! Nothing like throwing out a little creativity with your analysis. I had to show that one to the wife. She got a big kick out of it as well.

Jeff
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Bert and Jeff
and Step DC
for providing insight
to this new BE
it's advice like this
that makes me hone in
on the vicissitudes
of the nefarious roll-in
Impatience is my only vice
besides single malt
but that's another story
and not your fault
Miles smiles, like Jeff
while I grimace and pucker
for me and DCstep
that roll-in's a mother....

and now I'll switch to iambic pentameter, kinda
again, my gratitude for the patience reminda
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone translate BE into Dr Seuss? Then I can teach my 2 1/2 year old son Leo to play trumpet.

Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: