• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stomvi Mambo Titanium XL Bore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RabbitMX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Stomvi Mambo Titanium XL Bore Reply with quote

so im in the market for a new horn and i've got my eyes on the Stomvi Mambo! but it's kinda hard to find reviews of it online. I was hoping someone here could share their experiences with this horn, or if someone currently plays on it? some pros/cons..

Im coming from a Bach 72* with a 43 leadpipe and remember reading somewhere that the stomvi mambo was like the 72*/43 but "on steroids" 🤣

any advice would be greatly appreciated!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few video reviews on Youtube (just search for 'stomvi mambo'). Have you checked those yet? The one by Horntrader may be the most useful, as you can compare it to his other video's where he plays other trumpets.
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Stomvi Mambo Reply with quote

I've owned one before...It's a good horn.

Scott
Pickett Mouthpieces
fintonissimo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if mine is the same as what you are looking for, but I have owned and played a Stomvi Mambo, serial #25674 for about 15 years. I don't know for sure that it is XL bore, I think it is only a Large bore. It has titanium valve caps and a titanium bell wire. It plays very well, very free, and even. It projects well. It is versatile in that it can sound pretty dark when you want it to, I have used it to play the low Carmen excerpt before with a big mouthpiece. If you move a lot of air and use a smaller mouthpiece, it will definitely get bright if you want more of a commercial sound. That is primarily the reason I was interested in it, I wanted something that would work for playing pops concerts or music for shows.

It's been a good horn for me. I picked it out at the Brasswind back when you could go there and try out lots of horns. I played about 5, and then they brought out one that had some damage to the bell. It played better than the other horns, so I ended up having them remove the bell dent, and bought that horn.

In the last few years, however, my playing has moved in a different direction. I am playing somewhat smaller equipment now, and am recently interested in selling this horn because I found something smaller that works just as well for me. I haven't posted it in the marketplace yet, but have been thinking about doing so.

In case anybody is interested, it is in very good condition. Valves are great. However, I damaged the mouthpiece receiver and had to replace it. I was able to replace it with an oem receiver with the Mambo logo stamped on it, and the horn plays the same as it did before, no different. There is a little plating loss where the receiver meets the leadpipe, but it is only a cosmetic issue. Please let me know if anybody is interested in buying it, if so, you can send me a pm.

Chuck
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The late John Ruff, when he worked for Stomvi, of course, did a video demo of the Mambo XL on a couple of occasions. My understanding is he added one to his arsenal as an alternative to his VRII when he really needed a loud large bore for a gig.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghDcCWO0S94
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PLkpGacY-H0
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: