• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

graduate schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isabelle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a college junior, and have been looking at schools to pursue a masters degree in trumpet/orchestral performance. I'm currently a performance major at a small university, and would like to keep the small school/conservatory atmosphere if possible. So far I've been looking at the Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music, Cleveland Institute of Music, DePaul, and Rice U. All of them appear to be what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any opinions on any of these schools, the graduate programs, trumpet instructors, or have you attended any of them? Any other schools to recommend? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Isabelle
TNguyen529

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Isabelle. I'm in my first year of grad work at Cincinnati. I too come from a small university - Shenandoah University in Virginia. The transition from that school to this one was great! Perhaps I've just met the right people, but everyone here is great - as players and people!

if you have specific questions about Cincinnati, e-mail me and i'll be happy to answer any questions!!

-Khoa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TrumpetPly1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

You wouldn't happen to know Brian Crisp would you?
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marie Speziale at Rice University is a tremendous teacher!! Ray Sasaki teaches at the University of Texas-Austin, and he is a tremendous teacher also.
NIKE_07032

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you looking to focus on orchestral performance or chamber music. Juilliard is an excellent school for those who want to emphasize on chamber music. Ray Mase is there along with members of American Brass Quintet. Also they have one of the greatest teachers for orchestral preparation and that is Mark Gould. Mark Gould is really tough, but he will surely bring out the best and more. Now, Manhattan school of music has a orchestral program for grad students who wish to focus on orchestral preparation. University of Maryland also has an excellent program, they have Chris Gekker, and Steven Hendrickson (NSO principal trumpet). Penn State University, according to Wilmer Wise has an excellent program. Langston Fitzgerald is there. There are a lot of choices, but just so you know, usually conservatories such as Juilliard, Cincinatti, Cleveland, and MSM are very expensive school, and from what i heard they focus primarily on performance. Universities have excellent programs and also good teachers, but besides teaching you performance, they will also emphasize your whole overall preparation (theory, musicianship) plus they are less expensive.
isabelle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely want to focus on orchestral performance. There are a ton of great schools along the east coast, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to go that far from home (my entire family lives in TN). I'll take a look at the U. of Maryland though. Yeah, I've seen the price tag on the conservatories. Rice is also very expensive, but I'll just see what happens. Hopefully some nice scholarships are available.

Isabelle
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I auditioned at DePaul in February to start my masters (still waiting to hear back). I really liked the atmosphere up there. I got a chance to talk to Matt Lee for awhile and he was a very personable person who was more than willing to answer my quetions. I only talked with John Hagstrom briefly during the audition, but he seemed like a great person as well. The students I talked to up there all loved the atmosphere and the trumpet studio. From what I have heard, they offer very generous scholarships to the graduate students that they accept. I hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider University of Louisville in KY. The studio is a great enviornment, it has the intensity and dedication that you'd find in a conservatory setting. The school of music itself is rather small, I think there are only about 300 students, so everbody knows everybody else. About the only thing I think would be a little lacking is that the orchestra is not as pre-professional as say, the orchestra at IU. However, the trumpet prof there, Mike Tunnell, is as good a teacher as anyone I've met. You don't hear about U of L that often, but it's a solid school, I think. But I go there, so what else would I say?

Ben

Zeus Guarnerius
Bach C 239 w/ Blackburn pipe/slide
Weril Regium flugelhorn
Yamaha 14B4-GP
Yamaha Shew-lead
TNguyen529

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reply on the whole money issue, Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music is part of University of Cincinnati; the school, then, gets a lot of money from the state. Furthermore, as a grad student, they have University Graduate Scholarships, of which almost EVERY grad student gets. Most every grad student i know here has a UGS, and i think the average UGS covers 80% tuition!

Oh, and TrumpetPly1, Bryan's a first year masters student here too! great guy and awesome player.

-Khoa

[ This Message was edited by: TNguyen529 on 2004-03-20 16:57 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, Indiana University is a serious omission from your list. Those other schools are great, of course. But IU is competitive with each of them in all aspects. Feel free to PM me if you want more info. Best wishes for your auditions!

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: