• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Some remarks on the worth of mouthpiece specs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
substantially less resistance.

Less perceivedresistance.

It's nit-picky, I know, but if the mouthpiece has a large throat and backbore and more of a V shaped cup, it has less resistance objectively speaking.

The problem is that the way we play changes with each mouthpiece, so that less resistance can mean that the lips fall into the cup more, which changes everything.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
Here is the other one, the commercial one:

https://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trumpet/accessories/mouthpieces/bach/products/sku108947-bach-commercial-5mv-trumpet-mouthpiece-.php

I thought that you had this one,since you referred to yours as being the commercial model.

That's a funny misunderstanding. I meant the standard 5MV and I just copied what the Bach Manual says about it:

5MV Medium deep 16.25 mm Same as above.
Medium deep V style cup with #25 throat and #25 backbore.
Good commercial sound.

And my understanding was that the Bach Commercial mp's were aimed at lead players, I am not sure of that.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Quote:
substantially less resistance.

Less perceivedresistance.

It's nit-picky, I know, but if the mouthpiece has a large throat and backbore and more of a V shaped cup, it has less resistance objectively speaking.

The problem is that the way we play changes with each mouthpiece, so that less resistance can mean that the lips fall into the cup more, which changes everything.

You can be right here. It is something I thought about but I can only find an answer to this question by playing the 5MV over a longer period, say 6 weeks to 3 months.
That is a choice I have to make at the cost of being untrue to my 14D4. I am not that far now but this is indeed a deeper layer of this thread for me.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the commercial model, instead of having a good commercial sound, has a fabulous commercial sound? Bach, you can send this post down to your advertising department. Don't worry, the first ad is free.

BTW, sometimes a bigger throat and back bore can be perceived as being tighter, since you aren't used the new dimensions. If you were adapt the new mouthpiece, and played it for a while, going back to you old mouthpiece might feel restrictive, even if it feels normal now.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not think about it but the Bach Commercial 5 (or 3) MV may be worth a try.

I agree about the possibility for more resistance with the big throat/backbore but I am not new to that. I play on my rotary a Breslmair G2 and sometimes a Yamaha14E4 with both big throats and big bb's.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is less resistance but your body needs to compensate for the extra effort, so it feels like more resistance. If the body learns how to use the less resistance, then it might end up working for you. If it is too open and your body doesn't meet the requirements of the more open setup, then it will feel tight.

I have open mouthpieces that I used to use that feel too open now. I have to use stock mouthpieces that felt too tight back then. Age has caught up with me.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is less resistance but your body needs to compensate for the extra effort, so it feels like more resistance

It feels like more resistance from the body , it is less efficiency in the system. The increased losses from viscous flow decrease the efficiency of the system. Requiring more power input for the same dynamic.

To put it another way, the higher flow requirement increases the power loss through the aperture resistance.

It is wise to use the most efficient set up if you can meet your musical goals with it. It makes playing so much easier. "Ease" is not simply "freeness" of blowing, but efficiency of air power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: