• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breath Attack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may seem like a silly question, but I'm going to ask it anyway because I want to get it right. I know the breath attack can be used to try to bring the lips together, but how exactly is it done. I think I might know, but I'm not sure. I think I've heard people say to say like an H to get the air moving, but when I try this, my lips really spread a part a lot. I find a P to really bring the lips together and make the air go through a much smaller hole. So, which way is it done?
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which way does it sound better???

there you go....

Nick
Annie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I was taught was to focus the air with the lips first before you even bring the horn to your face. Hold your finger out at arms length and try to get a centered enough air stream to hit your finger so you can feel it.

Then, after that is accomplished, bring the horn to your face and blow a steady stream of air while slowly closing your lips togethor around the stream of air until you get a sound. It kind of seems like "purring" once you get used to it! Breath attacks are a very good way to center the embouchure, but they aren't always good when you play music - remember to articulate when you play and articulate the begining of the note!

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet_god thanks for that brilliant response
Annie- thanks for your response, but all I want to know is the motions i should make with my lips and tongue, ie: what syllables should be used.
Annie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syllables aren't exactly necessary when doing this - my teacher never used them! It's all about forming a focused embouchure through a focusing of the air column. I guess you could say it's like saying "O" though.

Oh, I remember! there were some phonetics "who" like an owl.

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*

heartswing17@yahoo.com

[ This Message was edited by: Annie on 2004-03-22 20:21 ]
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that it depends on what type embouchure you are using. In my case (BE), I roll lips in, attack with the breath and focus the air stream for the best sound. Once you have found the best sound, you've found your embouchure setting.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: