• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

PIC bore size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can either read my long rant or just scroll down to the bottom where you will find my ACTUAL question!

I hate to bother all you great players with my stupid questions, but this is one of the very few sites were I can post with little to no flame wars!

So anywho....
I traded in my "defective" Benge Pic Saturday for a "NEW" Benge Pic and let me say this... WOW!
I thought my problems with the first Benge was just me because I am still a rookie and really new at PIC playing. However, the difference between the used and new horn are night and day. Intonation is much better and my sound is soooooo different. My music director "thought" my tone was good with the used Benge, but he'll be amazed and the NEW Benge. Even I noticed the difference and for some reason, I am very tough on myself. Funny, a trumpet player who is tough on himself? hehehe

NOW TO MY QUESTION....
When I started my PIC search, my biggest concern was price! Yes I knew all about the good and great horns @ $2000+ but just couldn't justify paying that much for my first PIC. YES I knew that I could buy a used good-great horn for $1000 to $1500 but I just didn't have the cash you see becuase I was using CREDIT.
In any event, my teacher and I sat down and discussed the concerns and for the most part I was ready to by a Getzen. However, while trying horns @ WWBW I found Benge. I know it isn't the same Benge from days of past but it fit my rookie concerns. Tone and price!!!
It wasn't until I started comparing PIC's on paper that I noticed what may or may not be a big deal.... Bore size. The Benge bore is something like .421

What affect will I find from playing with different sized bore horns.?
My Bb trumpet and cornet are .460
My new Benge pic is .421

and

What do I have to do different, if anything, when playing on the smaller bore horn?

Thanks in advance!
Sean
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm sure there are many fine piccolo players on this forum. I, however, am not one of them. I am, however, not a bad flugelhorn player and actually prefer the smaller bore flugels over the others.

IMHO the smaller bore forces me to think differently when playing the flugel as distinct from trumpet almost as if they were different types of instruments. I have to lay back on the air in the horn and my playing is a lot more relaxed and generally better for it.

Maybe some of the great players on this site can define this a little better in terms of piccs but that's my impression of playing smaller bores.

Regards

Trevor
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I start playing Picc, especially my Getzen 940 (.420 Bore) I have to think differently about my playing… I think about a compact air stream & not pushing as hard.. If I push like I do on my Trumpets & Cornets I get a LOT of back pressure & can’t play for long. Relax when you play Picc.. Any extra tension is amplified on the Picc.. I start with Long Tones then work on Clarke Exercises.

Also Mouthpieces make a HUGE difference on Picc.. I would stick with your regular Size Mouthpiece piece but try different cups & backbores..

Make sure you warm up on Bb OR C trumpet then go to Picc.. TOO much Picc playing will affect your Regular trumpet chops…. The more you play on Picc the easier it is to switch back & forth.. I can now go from Playing Euphonium to playing Picc But that took some time.

Do a search on Trumpet Herald there have been some Great discussions on Playing Picc.

Have fun playing the “We Lil’ Beastie”

Kevin

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: