• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Soft" Mouthpiece Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: "Soft" Mouthpiece Search Reply with quote

Hi,

I used to play a Schilke 15C4 and enjoyed the flat rim. It made the mouthpiece feel "soft" and increased endurance.

I've been away for 30+ years. Has there been any development in "soft" mouthpieces? Any that are even softer than the Schilke?

Thanks
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A major factor in a how rim feels is the structure, shape, alignment, etc. of your teeth. And the amount of rim pressure you use.

For most players with fairly 'regular' teeth, using a good fitting 'conventional rim' playing up to about high-C should not require rim pressure that results in lip pain or injury. Endurance issues with playing high notes should be due to 'muscle fatigue'.

If the Schilke feels like it fits your lips & teeth, there probably isn't a need to search for another - unless / until some problems that are caused by the mouthpiece happen.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play a Schilke Model H (11) then Purviance/Reeves. I never paid any attention to the rims. But I just got a Curry 3C and I felt a difference right away. Nothing subtle. The rim of the Curry definitely felt "softer".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same size? Not really though you might check out the Best Brass rims.

Smaller - the Yamaha Hagstrom is kind of flat and wide.
Smaller - Schilke 12B4
Larger - Kelly Pro (plastic) - you might find it comfortable - it's just different.
Larger - David Hickman signature rim - medium cup - not the "Big Boy".
Custom - have a maker do your Schilke with a Neill Sanders rim.

Part of what you feel as "soft" may be where the high point of the rim is. Mouthpieces like the Hickman and Sanders have the high point closer to the outside of the rim and slope in a little to the bite.

If you were happy with the 15c4 why not stick with it. It has the same rim as the 15a4 - or pretty close.
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I just got a Curry 3C and I felt a difference right away. Nothing subtle. The rim of the Curry definitely felt "softer".

Never heard of Curry, but it sounds like a winner!

As soon as I figure out what Schilke I like best, I will contact them.

Thanks!
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
In the same size? Not really though you might check out the Best Brass rims.

Smaller - the Yamaha Hagstrom is kind of flat and wide.
Smaller - Schilke 12B4
Larger - Kelly Pro (plastic) - you might find it comfortable - it's just different.
Larger - David Hickman signature rim - medium cup - not the "Big Boy".
Custom - have a maker do your Schilke with a Neill Sanders rim.

Part of what you feel as "soft" may be where the high point of the rim is. Mouthpieces like the Hickman and Sanders have the high point closer to the outside of the rim and slope in a little to the bite.

If you were happy with the 15c4 why not stick with it. It has the same rim as the 15a4 - or pretty close.

Thanks. I never heard of these...especially a custom mouthpiece!

I like the Schilke 15C4 but I don't love it.

Plus, I think it will be fun to try different mouthpieces.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, all the mouthpieces mentioned are well known brands. Maybe before you buy a new one, you might want to take a little time to familiar yourself with them.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Ken, all the mouthpieces mentioned are well known brands. Maybe before you buy a new one, you might want to take a little time to familiar yourself with them.

Great idea! How would I go about doing that?
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Cass mouthpieces have very nice rims, too.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennyg2019 wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Uh, do an internet search by name of them?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Kennyg2019 wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Uh, do an internet search by name of them?

Thanks. That will help narrow the field for sure. But if a mouthpiece is like everything else I ever owned (shoes, cars, food, clothes, etc.), then I will eventually have to take a few for a “test drive” to know for sure. Also, it’s been my experience that often what looks good on paper, doesn’t always work for me.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the most comfortable rims I have played are the Austin Custom Brass line of mouthpieces. The piece I use most for solo playing is the ACB5CS. Same size ( approx .640" ) as the Bach 5C which I used for the first 2 years of my comeback but for me it was a cookie cutter. The ACB 5CS is very comfortable.

I also use the ACB TA1 for band playing ( size .639" ). I use the ACB3CS off and on for both band and solo playing, but I sometimes find the size ( .650" ) steals endurance.

Here is their website:

www.austincustombrass.biz

Good luck,
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
jairo_saade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There are several makers that have wide rim versions and some regular rims that feel wider and more cushion.

I agree with Austin Custom Brass TA1 being fairly comfortable.

My absolute favorite is AR Resonance, I bought a used piece from a fellow TH member and it has been my go to for a year and the end of a long safari. What defined it for me was that this mouthpiece is modular top+backbore and the top is in a 3c wide (MC Wide) configuration in bronze.

The idea behind the AR Resonance mouthpieces is that you choose the rim you want and then you mix and match with cups and backbore as you need for your playing (more air, less air, more cup depth, etc).

hope it helps.
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
So far the most comfortable rims I have played are the Austin Custom Brass line of mouthpieces. The piece I use most for solo playing is the ACB5CS. Same size ( approx .640" ) as the Bach 5C which I used for the first 2 years of my comeback but for me it was a cookie cutter. The ACB 5CS is very comfortable.

I also use the ACB TA1 for band playing ( size .639" ). I use the ACB3CS off and on for both band and solo playing, but I sometimes find the size ( .650" ) steals endurance.

Here is their website:

www.austincustombrass.biz

Good luck,
George

Thanks again, George!

I will definitely check out ACB...actually, I just ordered a P.E.T.E. from them!
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jairo_saade wrote:
Hi,

There are several makers that have wide rim versions and some regular rims that feel wider and more cushion.

I agree with Austin Custom Brass TA1 being fairly comfortable.

My absolute favorite is AR Resonance, I bought a used piece from a fellow TH member and it has been my go to for a year and the end of a long safari. What defined it for me was that this mouthpiece is modular top+backbore and the top is in a 3c wide (MC Wide) configuration in bronze.

The idea behind the AR Resonance mouthpieces is that you choose the rim you want and then you mix and match with cups and backbore as you need for your playing (more air, less air, more cup depth, etc).

hope it helps.

George, thanks for these great tips. I'm going to contact ACB today for more information.
Just checked out the AR Resonance site. Wow...they look like works of art! If they sound as good as they look, then they are worth the premium price!
I like the comparison chart. That saves time!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennyg2019 wrote:

Just checked out the AR Resonance site. Wow...they look like works of art! If they sound as good as they look, then they are worth the premium price!

Most of this Forum's members seem to have either the time and/or money (and, perhaps, experience) to fine tune our mouthpiece choices. That doesn't mean we're wrong or that we make bad choices. But often our choices are in search of thet Holy Grail mouthpiece, so people keep fine-tuning their choices and paying premium prices to do it.

The matter of fact is, as impressive a site is Resonance, etc, and as good a mouthpiece as might be made, one doesn't have to pay premium prices for a mouthpiece, especially when they are, again, in a recovery mode.

Just a hunch, but I suspect the numerical sales of Bach and Yamaha, and perhaps Schilke, far exceed that of "designer" mouthpieces. You can, of course, buy what you want. And you might take more satisfaction in buying a Reeves over a Bach, but at your stage, you don't have to.

Enjoy the process and your new mouthpiece but just know that in your comeback, it's perfectly logical to start back up with your old mouthpiece type and wait until you have more sensitivity to what you are doing before buying a higher-priced mouthpiece.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been dealing with ACB ever since I came back. I bought several horns from them, and mouthpieces. They are a great bunch to deal with.

If you can, talk to Josh McDonald who is the mouthpiece man there and has been my contact over the years. He'll bend over backward for you. My best to you, Kenny. I am here for you anytime.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Kennyg2019 wrote:

Most of this Forum's members seem to have either the time and/or money (and, perhaps, experience) to fine tune our mouthpiece choices. That doesn't mean we're wrong or that we make bad choices. But often our choices are in search of thet Holy Grail mouthpiece, so people keep fine-tuning their choices and paying premium prices to do it.

The matter of fact is, as impressive a site is Resonance, etc, and as good a mouthpiece as might be made, one doesn't have to pay premium prices for a mouthpiece, especially when they are, again, in a recovery mode.

Just a hunch, but I suspect the numerical sales of Bach and Yamaha, and perhaps Schilke, far exceed that of "designer" mouthpieces. You can, of course, buy what you want. And you might take more satisfaction in buying a Reeves over a Bach, but at your stage, you don't have to.

Enjoy the process and your new mouthpiece but just know that in your comeback, it's perfectly logical to start back up with your old mouthpiece type and wait until you have more sensitivity to what you are doing before buying a higher-priced mouthpiece.

Thanks for the words of wisdom! I will certainly start with what I have. Looking forward, I will start with regular mouthpieces as you suggest.

Do you know the Curry equivalent to the Schilke 15C4?

Thanks.
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
I've been dealing with ACB ever since I came back. I bought several horns from them, and mouthpieces. They are a great bunch to deal with.

If you can, talk to Josh McDonald who is the mouthpiece man there and has been my contact over the years. He'll bend over backward for you. My best to you, Kenny. I am here for you anytime.

George

George, I appreciate your patience and empathy for a fellow Comeback!
I will definitely contact Josh.

Ken
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Do you know the Curry equivalent to the Schilke 15C4?"

Ken, with all due respect, you can research this information, yourself. If you don't know how to use "search" functions just ask and I'm sure someone will help you.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: