• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hovhannes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of his writing for orchestra. I have his Prayer of St. Gregory and have played it in various churches.

Is anyone out there familiar with his Sonata for Trumpet and Organ? Is it worth purchasing? Any comments are appreciated.

Steve
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Hovahness' stuff, check out his Symphony No. 2 "Mysterious Mountain". The first movement is chock full of beautiful trumpet solos. There's a recording by CSO/Reiner, and Bud's playing is pure magic!

John
Shires Artist
Tromba Mundi
Summit Brass
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to what John said.

I have played the Prayer of St. Gregory many, many times too and I agree it is great for prelude music at church services. I went ahead and bought the trumpet and organ sonata a few years back. My organist and I read it through and the general consensus was, "eh... er.... um.... we have enough material on this program already don't we?"

Short answer: we didn't think it was so great. The writing for the trumpet is very similar (long melismatic modal passages), but the organ writing is pretty dissonant. The trumpet writing actually gets pretty monotonous IMHO.

To be honest, we didn't give it much of a chance, though, so if any of you have really worked this up and performed it, I'd be interested to hear about it.

- Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: