• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Mic for Trumpet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Best Mic for Trumpet? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a good mic to connect to my iPhone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

P.S. I'm interested in the best mic. Current budget: $200 but I'm willing to save my pennies if necessary!
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shure mv88+

Recommended to me by a Sweetwater sales person that I know. It hasn’t let me down yet for what it is. $224 at Best Buy right now for that kit.
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
shure mv88+

I know the MV88 is for iPhone, is there a adaptor for the MV88+?

I think Arturo switched over the the MV88:

https://www.facebook.com/100001039095180/videos/683995726147497/

I have a zoom IQ6 I don't recommend, I ended up buying a full ribbon rig with a focuriste so I could hear the other side of my bell in real time. However for on the go, its too much equipment to carry.

That little sure MV88 is on my wish list of future purchases. I think it would be pretty handy, I just wish I knew how far you have to be from it to get a good effect.

-marc
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MV88+ came with two cables.
Lightning & USB

There are also the free motiv audio and motiv video apps.
EQ settings and other tweaks can be performed with them.

Depending on what kind of playing you are doing…
I can play with it a couple feet in front of me and its fine.

It is a condenser mic so its suited for
being able to handle some power thrown its way.

It can be placed farther out and pick it up well also depending on what is happening around you and how you have the pattern set.

There are optional settings for different environments.
Cardoid, LR, etc.

This is a good info page on it.

https://pubs.shure.com/guide/MV88PLUS/en-US

There are some Youtube vids demonstrating the pick up patterns demonstrating the difference with, for example, people talking and the background noise not being audible at all that one can find as well.

At the $200 mark I don’t know what else is out there
but I am very pleased with having this for trumpet and
other applications.
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arturo's Shure mic might work at your $200 price point for teaching or easy/on-the-go personal practice. The Shure MV88 works for iPhone/iPad/USB-C devices, and the Shure MV88+ attaches to a video camcorder rig.

You can use professional-level microphones on mobile devices, but you'll either need a mic that doesn't require power or can be powered externally (e.g., through a Focusrite/DAW or physical battery). Take a listen to the recordings on this thread for some examples of pro mics close to your current price range.

The MV88’s Sound Pressure Level (SPL) limitations of 120db may or may not work for your application, and it probably isn’t the best microphone for the loudest playing or for mixed commercial work. You can hear the sound levels peaking at times in the loudest parts of Arturo’s clip, it sounds like a scratchy distortion.

FWIW: My first decent trumpet mic was in the $200-300 range from Rode, until I saved for a long while for a Neumann. I’ll quickly note here some (edit:very) pricey, high-end solo microphones often used by pro trumpet players that need high quality results:
* Royer R-121 Ribbon Microphone (Max SPL: 135db): Wayne Bergeron, Arturo Sandoval on at least one album; common studio mic for where you want to capture the richest sound.
* Neumann U 89i (Max SPL: 140db): Jon Faddis has used this one with a Grace m101 preamp. Colorful sound.
* Neumann TLM-170 Condenser Microphone (Max SPL: 154db): Louis Dowdeswell. Perfect microphone for recording high-range cutting lead playing without any major hype / frequency enhancements. Natural sounding microphone.

The gearspace.com forum is full of knowledgeable recording engineers and audiophiles that can point you in the right direction at any price point based on your specific needs. HTH, good luck on the recording!

Last edited by Chadwick on Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:17 am; edited 2 times in total
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually when someone says they are willing to save for something better, they mean something inside of maybe doubling their original budget. Everything you listed is not only well outside of that threshold, but also would have vastly diminished returns for someone planning on recording and mixing with an iPhone. I won't even pay for mics at that price point and I have a fairly solid home recording setup.

With that said, loud trumpet is about 110 db - the MV88 would theoretically work for that.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
The MV88+ came with two cables.
Lightning & USB

There are also the free motiv audio and motiv video apps.
EQ settings and other tweaks can be performed with them.

Depending on what kind of playing you are doing…
I can play with it a couple feet in front of me and its fine.

It is a condenser mic so its suited for
being able to handle some power thrown its way.

It can be placed farther out and pick it up well also depending on what is happening around you and how you have the pattern set.

There are optional settings for different environments.
Cardoid, LR, etc.

This is a good info page on it.

https://pubs.shure.com/guide/MV88PLUS/en-US

There are some Youtube vids demonstrating the pick up patterns demonstrating the difference with, for example, people talking and the background noise not being audible at all that one can find as well.

At the $200 mark I don’t know what else is out there
but I am very pleased with having this for trumpet and
other applications.

Wow, that thing is brilliant for portability. I'm scratching the MV88 off my list and putting the MV88+ on it now. its seems way better setup with that little table top stand.

Thanks for the education!

For others - note the OP only want something that hooks to their iPhone, not a full home studio rig like some of us have with a ribbon mic.

-marc
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys…it looks like I should go for one of the two Shure mics 🤔…for sure!
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received the Shure MV88+ and it's a winner...very natural sound!
Thanks guys!
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool that the MV88+ has a headphone monitor jack as well. I was looking for an easy, portable option like that for recording my practise and hearing what's coming out of the bell, so this is pretty awesome. Especially if you're saying the sound is quite natural!

I have a zoom, but for me, the zoom is only fine for trumpet if positioned a fair distance away or in a nice, resonant room. So if you're putting it at the back of a hall, no worries, but if you're in a small practise room, it doesn't seem to capture a good representation of the sound. Just sounds weird, kinda thin and tinny.

So this looks like a it'd be very handy to have. Can anyone confirm that the headphone jack is pass-through? So you're hearing the live mic, and not just there for playback purposes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: